how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RySean

join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA
reply to tonyram57

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

Umm, hey guys. I found the actual firmware... If anyone can figure out how to flash it to the modem, that'd be super cool: »sourceforge.net/projects/sb6120.···0-SCM00/

UKEE

join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY
said by RySean:

Umm, hey guys. I found the actual firmware... If anyone can figure out how to flash it to the modem, that'd be super cool: »sourceforge.net/projects/sb6120.···0-SCM00/

I found that about a month ago because Motorola firmware is "open source". You can go to the "Open Source" tab on the modem status page and see the various versions of components that were used to "build" the firmware.

The file that you linked looks like the "components" of the firmware and must be built (compiled) before it can be sent to the modem.

I wouldn't even know where to begin (and that's with following the Tomato router firmware project for years, which is also posted on sourceforce.net under the GIT repository (IIRC) lol! )

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to RySean
said by RySean:

You found the files to BUILD the firmware. So before you can figure out how to flash it, you have to build it....
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

RySean

San Diego, CA
Well, it comes with build instructions for a linux system, doesn't look too hard. I'm currently running all Windows though, so I'd rather not go through the hassle without knowing I'd be able to do something with it.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to RySean
said by RySean:

Link don't work. Does the ISP's actually compile the firmware?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

3 edits

1 recommendation

No they just get it from the modem maker directly and then test it themselves for a few weeks or months to make sure it actually fixes known problems and doesn't cause any new ones.

ISPs like to push new firmware as little as possible because if it ain't broke don't mess with it. At most, you may see them push one update (or two if its a major emergency) a year. TWC didn't start pushing out 1.0.6.3 too long ago. Meanwhile Motorola pushes out a new one every 2-3 months which is way more frequent the any provider is willing to push them out. Newer doesn't always mean better.

RySean

San Diego, CA
reply to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

said by RySean:

Link don't work. Does the ISP's actually compile the firmware?

Yeah, for some reason the link is now dead. I'm not sure if it's been taken down or what, but I downloaded the files earlier today so if anyone wants them, just PM me. Here's the link to the main project for it: »sourceforge.net/motorola-home/sb···me/Home/

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to DrDrew
I thought 1.0.6.3 was the ORIGINAL firmware that came from the factory on the SB 6141. You are saying that is not true? It is dated Aug 2011. So, did the modem come with that firmware or did TWC put that on it? I think it came with it because it was a brand new modem in its factory box with all the instructions etc in the box when Oceanic handed it to me at the office end of last Nov after they were out to upgrade me to DOCSIS 3 20/2 (can't use DOCSIS 2 modem on 20/2) and give me a new modem (which I didn't like..it was that surfboard gateway, wireless one so I exchanged it the next day).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

3 edits
For sure 6120s and 6121s didn't come with 1.0.6.3 and they've been updated. Older (May/June 2011) 6141 did not ship with 1.0.6.3, in fact 6141s originally shipped with 1.0.6.0, while more current black models have shipped with 1.0.6.3. Newer (white) 6141s seem to be shipping with an even newer firmware version then 1.0.6.3.

The age the modem was shipped by Moto certainly affects what firmware is on it. Seems they learned not to ship modems with old firmware so they don't get burned like the did with the 1.0.1.8 fiasco...

Don't worry though, Moto should have a newer version that no one has yet out by next month anyway.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Oceanic is currently only giving out the two Surfboards (the other is the gateway one the number I keep forgetting) for 20/2, 30/5 and 50/5 tiers so they likely would have current models. (I think they have a a different brand though if you also have TWC phone so you don't have to have two modems like for awhile but those without TWC phone are given one of two Surfboards).

They had a big stack of them all in factory boxes never used yet when I picked up this one...maybe they had just gotten a new shipment ...I was lucky to get a new modem not used by anyone.

Yes, I know Motorola seems to issue new firmware revisions VERY frequently. Indicates a lot of bugs to be issuing so frequent revisions.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 edit
reply to RySean
Assuming you have some firmware load ready to go, the first step is to buy a CMTS. They aren't cheap. Then you need to provide all the "back end" services such as DHCP, TFTP, ToD, etc. Otherwise ya ain't doin' squat.

The only other way MIGHT be disassembly and attachment of a JTAG, if it even has one.

They are purposefully engineered this way so that customers cannot interfere with the operator's network (such as ignoring provisioning parameters and always using maximum possible speeds). The DOCSIS standard basically stipulates that all conforming (i.e., certified) devices can only be so manipulated through the operator's control. This would include firmware updates.

Consider also that unless the firmware load is built to ignore upgrade requests and can somehow fake the reporting of its firmware as being that which the operator is using currently, it would be reflashed anyway by the CMTS.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

RySean

San Diego, CA
I thought about doing the JTAG attachment, which would even allow me to use Haxorware. But I'd need to dedicate time and money to the project, which I can't do at the moment :-/ Sounds like a fun project though.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
Got the white SB6141 today. No problem activating with Level 3. Except for the brighter blue lights (annoying blue blinking light I had to put black electric tape over as the white tape I could still see it) and the firmware version being 1.0.6.8 speeds are about the same. As long as TWC does not downgrade the firmware I should be fine.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
So what problem, that you had, did it fix?

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
Everything is fine except still when I try to upload my Grandmothers card game save to SkyDrive which is about 5 MB it will cause extreme packet loss and drops streaming music wireless sometimes. The black SB6141 with 1.0.6.3 did the same.

So now I disabled SkyDrive and will sync it manually when she is done playing. Weird that the SB5101U did not have this problem but I do notice my upload running Testmy.net hits 1 Megabyte (not megabit) as with the SB5101U it will only go up to about 950 Megabits.