Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Crookshanks

Re: Dearest Mob

I'm with you on this one. Out here, $70 only gets me 20/2 with TWC. Since we now get 15/1 for $50, the $70 tier is really a lousy deal. And it's all uphill from there...
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

There will be a market for faster upload speeds as "the cloud" takes off, but barring the next killer app I think we're fast approaching the "Who cares?" point with download speeds. In your instance I would think about paying the $20 for the extra upload, though I'd probably conclude that $20 for 1mbit/s isn't worth it.

I have a 8/2 business class connection for $60/mo with a static IP, could get higher (download) speeds with a residential grade connection, but no static IP, and the business accounts are prioritized over residential ones. I've yet to see less than my promised speed during peak hours or at any other time, something many residential customers can't claim.

Business account pricing seems more realistic IMHO, at least if you desire a decent enough contention ratio to achieve your promised speed without worrying about peak hour slowdowns. I'd rather have 100% of a slower connection 24/7 than some fraction of my faster connection from 8pm to 1am....

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by Crookshanks:

There will be a market for faster upload speeds as "the cloud" takes off, but barring the next killer app I think we're fast approaching the "Who cares?" point with download speeds. In your instance I would think about paying the $20 for the extra upload, though I'd probably conclude that $20 for 1mbit/s isn't worth it.

I agree that the increasing push toward cloud services will be useless without a commensurate bump in upload speeds. I did indeed conclude that $20 more for an extra megabit of upstream was not worth it, as much as it hurts. My use of "cloud services" is still fairly low (almost necessarily, at speeds like this) but I have been using them more in the last year or two. If I could jump from 1 Mb to 5 Mb for $20 I'd probably do it, but I'd need to pay at least $30 or $40 more per month to achieve that.

I've seen Comcast becoming a lot more competitive in that particular arena and wish I still lived in a Comcast area, as much as I can't believe I'm saying that. The most data I ever used in a single month was only half of their 250 GB soft cap.

said by Crookshanks:

I'd rather have 100% of a slower connection 24/7 than some fraction of my faster connection from 8pm to 1am....

Same here. Even though I am not on a tier that requires channel bonding, I got a DOCSIS 3 modem recently to bond enough channels to get around the peak time congestion issues (during which I would see 3-4 Mb/sec tops). Since we have so many downstream channels here in DFW I have never seen my line running at less than 100% since. Giving up Powerboost for this was unquestionably worth it.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

I pushed my cable provider to give a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the same reason as you, thankfully they went along with it. They bond three downstream channels around these parts, and don't bond upstream channels at all. Somewhat surprised I haven't had issues with my 2mbit/s upstream, they are running with channel widths/modulations that only provide for a 10.24mbit/s of total upstream, so I can use nearly 20% of that if I peg my connection. Amazingly enough I haven't seen any slowdowns with my upstream, so I'm either on a node with people who don't use it, or my provider knows how to properly manage contention ratios.

My worst experience with oversubscribed DOCSIS was with Time Warner in Binghamton. One of my apartments was lucky to get >1.5mbit/s during peak hours, it was bad enough that you couldn't even maintain a low quality Netflix stream. They were ostensibly selling 10mbit/s connections, 15mbit/s for "turbo", but you could only achieve those speeds at 4am. 3.0/768 Verizon DSL was better than Time Warner's 10/1 or 15/1 products, since you at least got the promised speed with DSL.

AnonReply

@173.227.18.x
reply to banditws6

said by banditws6:

I'm with you on this one. Out here, $70 only gets me 20/2 with TWC. Since we now get 15/1 for $50, the $70 tier is really a lousy deal. And it's all uphill from there...

Now which one will you get if Google Fiber is available in your area? $70 for 1Gbps from Google or $70 for 20/2 from TWC? $50 for 15/1 from TWC or FREE (kind of) for 5/1 from Google? Free Internet is more like you pay $300 once for install fee or $25/month for 12 months with a price guaranteed for 7 years.

For people complaining about not really needing that much speed, what's your argument about Google's "free" service? Will TWC and the big ISPs offer you that?

»fiber.google.com/about/

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

No, the other ISPs in the area DO NOT match Google Fiber in any way.