how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ncdsl

join:2000-10-13
Apex, NC

[Speed Problem] DSL - Highly variable (slow) speeds - Dropped DS

Hello, I would appreciate any assistance to help me understand why I am having problems with my AT&T DSL connection. I've been seeing the following for many months, it just got so frustrating I finally made a call to tech support.

Service Level: FastAccess DSL Xtreme 6.0
Modem: 2Wire 2701HG-B
Splitter in NID with direct run to wall outlet for the modem.

Problem:
* Great variability in the download speed. Just this evening when on the phone with technical support, I was getting download speeds around 0.3 - 0.5 Mbps. Within 20 minutes, the speed increased to about 6.4 Mbps. Download speed is now back down to 0.87 Mbps (all tests measure with www.speedtest.net).
* Technical support tells me "the line is fine."
* Throughout the evening, when trying to view a webpage I frequently get the following error message from the modem:
* The Broadband Link is Currently Not Available
* WARNING: DSL Failed to Connect (Message ID: NAD-3304) - The 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway does not currently detect a DSL signal.
* Why would a speedtest with my laptop show 0.36 Mbps while my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) within seconds shows a download speed of 6.035 Mbps?

Thank you for any words of wisdom.

Here are some of the statistics from the modem. Please let me know if I am not posting the correct info.

Link Summary
Connection Speed:
• Incoming: 8127 kbps
• Outgoing: 507 kbps

Broadbank Link Details
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 8127 kbps
Upstream Rate: 507 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 17.2 dB (Downstream) 19.9 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 36.7 dB (Downstream) 16.7 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.0 dBm (Downstream) -1.1 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x9191}
PVC Info: 8/35

Broadbank Link Statistics
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 8127 kbs 507 kbs
Max Rate: 13433 kbs 1235 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 17.2 dB 20.0 dB
Current Attenuation: 36.7 dB 16.7 dB
Current Output Power: 19.0 dBm -1.1 dBm

bofh

@bellsouth.net

Re: [Speed Problem] DSL - Highly variable (slow) speeds - Droppe

said by ncdsl:

* Why would a speedtest with my laptop show 0.36 Mbps while my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) within seconds shows a download speed of 6.035 Mbps?

Malware infection? I'm going to assume this is a wireless b/g connection.

Stats look good, do you have any active connections right after booting the laptop? Open a command prompt and issue the netstat -an command to check for any open connections. There should not be any open connections right after booting the laptop given that you have not run any Internet dependent applications. If you don't have any established connections open up your browser and head over to speakeasy.net/speedtest and run a series of test to various sites and average the results.

It's important not to use the same server over and over again to determine your average throughput as the server may be under more load at varied times. It's best to use several different servers that are in close proximity to each other geographically and average the results.

Doug in SE

@bellsouth.net
reply to ncdsl
I have the same problem in ATT South East. Variable results from speed tests down to .5 mbps when I am paying for 3Mbps. During the past 24 hours, I had one time when I "seemed" to have higher speed (2.4 Mbps) then it went back down below 1.
I tried calling "due to unusually high call volume..." I tried searching for any ATT site that lists current outages (none found).
Plus, their own web site is abysmally impossible to load (since their speed is 1/10 of what it should be).

Maybe the Chinese have hit them?

chazmo

join:2013-03-02
Lawrenceburg, TN
reply to ncdsl
I assume your phone is connecting to the internet via the wifi when you say speeds are fine there. If this is the case, this means the problem is specific to your computer. Making that assumption, check for malware on the pc (u can use malwarebytes and i would suggest a tdss rootkit revealer in this day and time too.) Symantec has a good root kit scanner that works well and is free. A quick google search will find both for you. If you don't have malware or rootkits on your pc then check your cabling and network card itself.

ncdsl

Apex, NC
reply to ncdsl
Thanks for the responses. FYI... I've already checked my laptop and desktop units for malware (Malwarebytes, spybot, plus current Symantec antivirus). Nothing found.

This thing about it... I am seeing periodic/frequent slowdowns from different devices... laptop, desktop, 1 TV streaming from Roku, 1 TV streaming via DVD player. My issues don't seem to be associated with a single device. That's why I keep coming back to a DSL modem/line issue, not a using device.

Plus, as I mentioned, I keep getting the broadband link error message from the 2wire modem:

* WARNING: DSL Failed to Connect (Message ID: NAD-3304) - The 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway does not currently detect a DSL signal.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit
reply to ncdsl
if the phone is getting 6mbps wireless, I would be checking the hardware a bit more on the device with the problem.

Here is some of the culprits I seem to find with wireless/wired

1.) bad/poorly written wireless or even wired Ethernet drivers.

Some simple tests you can do to confirm this

1.) another wired ethernet nic
2.) another wireless nic/usb stick

If you have bad hardware/drivers you will confirm it pretty quick. I tell people be sure to keep up to date with pc manufacturing updates.

2.) multimodes on wireless: Another one typically is some devices don't like B&G or "WPA and WPA2 encryption". Since the 2wire is an all in one unit this can affect sync and/or the connection wired or wireless. I find for some wireless routers it's best to set them to say Wireless G and WPA. This seems to clear up quite a few problems.

3.) This one was most recently found on a netgear router at my brother in law's house. Kept dropping his connection wired and wireless. Make sure your subnet for your local network is 255.255.255.0 not 255.255.0.0. Every since I changed that back to 255.255.255.0 and reset his ip address scheme in the netgear (See note*) he hasn't dropped a connection since.

Most consumer grade routers won't handle a /16 very well. I was kind of shocked all it was doing was intermittently dropping a connection. For some crazy reason I don't think that router was designed to handle 65,534 ip addresses.

Note: wndr3000 I think was the model it's a square/rectangular unit.

4.)wireless channel interference- This is typically a wireless problem but have seen it affect wired and wi-fi connections. Only because the router is constantly transmitting to get a clear channel or attempt to "talk" to the wireless units.

--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

IworkATTDSL

@comcast.net
Try setting the 2wire wireless to "B" instead of "G"....see if that helps. Sometimes wireless "G" causes the 2wire to "freeze"...but not lose sync...worth a shot.

Secondly, is this problem only during a specific time of the day?

ncdsl

Apex, NC
reply to ncdsl
After repeated dropped connections with the "same old error message"

I called tech support again. The rep "checked the line" and as usual it's fine. They were quick to say the problem is with a deteriorating 2-wire modem. The options they offer...

1. Buy a new Netgear 7550 modem for the existing DSL line or
2. Switch to Uverse internet.

Are they just pushing the move to Uverse or could this really be a problem with the modem? The Uverse move would be no charge (free modem, installation, no activation) at a lower 12 month rate. Even the "full rate" is pretty much what I'm already paying.

Are they just trying to sell me a "bill of goods"... or Uverse in this case. I don't mind the Uverse move... if it really will get me a more stable/faster connection.

Thanks for the feedback.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit
reply to ncdsl
I have been wondering about this for a while now. Another theory I had when I had a 2wire was that some Wireless N routers would also interfere with the 2wire's wireless G operation.

might be worth running netstumbler and checking and seeing who is transmitting on what channel. Another problem that the 2wire shares (as well as cradlepoint routers, some linksys, and even some netgears) was the WPA/WPA2 mixed mode. Some devices handled this mode well, some do not. 2wire was no exception to this rule, and truthfully I wouldn't be shocked nor surprised if there is others out there I don't know about that don't exhibit this problem. Best bet for them is pick WPA or WPA2 and stick with that.

The Uverse move could be for your benefit if you are looking for faster speeds and such.

ncdsl

Apex, NC
I'll certainly check for channel conflicts and mixed security settings. I can understand how that could affect the wireless throughput and stability.

However, I don't see how this would affect any devices connected directly by ethernet or via powerline adapters. Those also experience the dropped connections.

That's why I'm left with either a 2-wire hardware issue (as AT&T says) or some type of line problem.

Maybe the best thing is to move to Uverse, but I'm not sure what issues this will bring up (data cap, equipment fee, etc.?).

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by ncdsl:

Maybe the best thing is to move to Uverse, but I'm not sure what issues this will bring up (data cap, equipment fee, etc.?).

I would try out another modem first like the 7550 or the Motorola 3347 / 3360.....

I would not jump to Uverse right away as this might cause you a lot more headaches than what you have now....

ncdsl

Apex, NC
Is there a source for either of these modems other than through AT&T direct (Amazon, Ebay, etc)?

Anything to look for or be careful of when purchasing a modem?

medbuyer

said by ncdsl:

Is there a source for either of these modems other than through AT&T direct (Amazon, Ebay, etc)?

Anything to look for or be careful of when purchasing a modem?

local CL sometimes can be a great source...ebay sometimes..

i like buying mine the cheapest price with a reputable seller or a local seller with contact info.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to ncdsl
said by ncdsl:

However, I don't see how this would affect any devices connected directly by ethernet or via powerline adapters. Those also experience the dropped connections.

That could still happen because if the modem/router has to reboot the wireless AP/base, most are so tied/integrated, it affects the wired and wireless side. I believe that started to be required when the WRT54G from linksys first came out. When you made a change in their software it rebooted the modem which dropped everybody, wired and wireless.

I would be counting on it, if the routers are newer than that.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.

ncdsl

Apex, NC
If I try replacing the modem first (Amazon, eBay, CL)...

1. What do I look for to make sure it's compatible with the AT&T DSL system? What are the "right words"?

2. Would you recommend the Motorola 7550 or the Motorola 3347 / 3360?

Thanks all!!!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to ncdsl
3347 is compatible, not a bad router at all from what I hear. 3360 is the newer 1 port DSL modem and is IPv6 ready. 7550 I believe is the successor to the 3347/3346. 7550 is also IPv6 ready.

medbuyer

reply to ncdsl
said by ncdsl:

If I try replacing the modem first (Amazon, eBay, CL)...

1. What do I look for to make sure it's compatible with the AT&T DSL system? What are the "right words"?

2. Would you recommend the Motorola 7550 or the Motorola 3347 / 3360?

Thanks all!!!

1. The right words are AT&T Compatible, Motorola 3347 or 3360 and or Netgear 7550. And ask questions to the seller.

2. I would recommend the 3347 or the newer model 3360.

said by David:

3347 is compatible, not a bad router at all from what I hear. 3360 is the newer 1 port DSL modem and is IPv6 ready. 7550 I believe is the successor to the 3347/3346. 7550 is also IPv6 ready.

the 7550 is actually a Netgear model...

»www.att.com/equipment/accessory-···q_model=

cubguy

join:2010-07-09
Greenwood Springs, MS
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to ncdsl
Had this identical problem last evening. At 5:25pm the internet signal from CLMBMSMA61W-8Y224150703252 completely dropped. After 30 minutes the signal returned and sync'd at 0.28 (The subscribed rate is 3.0M) The upload speed was unaffected. After several modem reboots I was able to get the speed up to 0.35. I placed a call to AT&T technical support and after speaking with the technical support center and advising of all of the steps I had taken to correct the problem, explaining my home wiring profile (What's on the line, etc)....he advised that the tests were "running clean" and that he could "see my modem". He advised that he would place me on hold to contact the local "switch" to see if there might be a problem in the "provisioning" system. For 10 minutes he was unable to reach anyone locally to address the problem, so he advised that he would call me back as soon as he contacted someone to advise. About 2 min after we hung up, the signal completely dropped again and was down for 20 min. When it came back up and completed sync, it synced at 3.552M. Shortly after he called me back and advised that the local technicial had "adjusted my profile" (Still says Interleaved at a depth of 4) and that should fix the problem.

It sounds to me like the local rep rebooted a piece of faultly equipment and reset the signal.

I did a websearch on the access concentrator number and it seems like I am not the only one having problems on this piece of equipment over a period of time. Is there any way to get AT&T to address it at this piece of equipment level instead of blaming it on the end user?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by cubguy:

I did a websearch on the access concentrator number and it seems like I am not the only one having problems on this piece of equipment over a period of time. Is there any way to get AT&T to address it at this piece of equipment level instead of blaming it on the end user?

only one slight problem, I did a search as well and that thread is dated nov. of 2010. I could see it being a more of a problem if it was oh say as least in the year 2012. I would think a problem referenced a little over 2+ years ago would be resolved by now.
--

cubguy

Greenwood Springs, MS
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
David,

I didn't even look at the date that came up on that websearch...My bad. However the speed drops do seem to be becoming more frequent. With the number of people on the line on our DSL, you would think that they could make the service more reliable than it is.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to ncdsl
Depending on what time it happens it could be maintenance work. For instance I don't expect full speeds at 2 A.M. when I know ISP's typically have maintenance windows from 12a-6a typically.

I remember a while back I was watching something on youtube at about 3 A.m. on a wednesday morning and my DSL just went deader than a doornail.

Had sync but no connection. Plugged right into the modem (a 5260 at the time) and ran raspppoe. When I pressed the query for access concentrator nothing came up. Logged into the 5260 and could see good sync, and could ping the dslam on vp:0/vc:35 and the DSLAM responded. Found out from the guys they blew a card on a firmware update in the collinsville, IL office . Had to have an office tech change it so I can get back online.
--

cubguy

Greenwood Springs, MS
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to David
Update: - DSL signal completely dropped on Saturday and would not return even with power cycling. Called AT&T and the tech reset the card. I took the modem out to the NID and did a "test jack" connection. Modem sync'd at 3.552 (rated for 3.0M)....Makes it an easy determination that the problem is in the 20 year old Hub/Spoke quad wiring in the house. AT&T sent a tech out today and he had the same conclusion but was hesitant to offer a solution. We had an unused jack that was seperate from the hub/spoke and insisted that he CAT5 it directly to the NID as it was a problem with the wiring. He did and we have not lost sync or speed since first connection after wiring. (He really didn't want to put the new connection in though, but relented after we insisted.) Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Jon J

join:2000-06-12
Nashville, TN
reply to medbuyer
A tech recently told me that after three calls on the same problem they get really serious about solving the problem. Their first solution probably means a new gateway at no cost.