spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

csudillo

join:2013-03-01

HELP!!! Router to Router basement from top floor Wireless!

Ok so I have a FiOS Actiontec M1424MR router/modem/coax all the way up stairs on my top floor (three story town house). I believe we have the 50mb Down service. However, my main desktop computer, Xbox, and PS3 as well as an additional, although less used desktop, are downstairs in the basement. The coverage for the router is Wireless G and gets solid signal but I would like to get cleaner speeds and range. E.g Wireless N with a dual-band 5.4gHz signal perhaps, like my Netgear WNDR3300 is capable of doing.

Is it possible to have my Netgear router down in the basement, and pick up wireless signal from the Actiontec and then Hardwire my PC, Xbox etc. to that Netgear in the basement and get similar speeds? OR... Connect my Netgear Router upstairs, right next to the Actiontec, and have it broadcast a better range and less cluttered 5.4gHz signal to the basement? Which is best? Which would be less work?
I play Xbox a lot and it uses the internet the most and I would like to have it have bandwidth priority as well, if possible.

I don't mind the work I just want it setup the correct way while maintaining signal strength and ping. Please let me know of any suggestions/solutions to similar or exact situations. Thanks fellas!!

Silver_2000
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Windstream

Im not sure that you can do WDS with a fios router and another router

I would start with putting the N router upstairs and see how much different the 5 ghz gets you. Does your Xbox have N wireless ?

the easiest might be to get 2 n speed routers that can do WDS between them AND allow you to plug the Xbox in to the port on the second router.

Ive had really good luck with extending networks using Ubiquiti Equipment. Its inexpensive and very flexible with good signal strength

Spacebars

@myvzw.com

Yes I do have an Xbox with wireless N capabilities. Also, I need to know how to configure my FiOS router to be wired with the Netgeat and to broadcast in 5gHz so it can have a wider range. (All the way to the basement) I don't really want to spend any money cause it isn't really a pressing issue but if it can be a wider range, that's just simply a better signal.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to csudillo

There's no special configuration of the Actiontec needed to use WDS if the secondary router supports it.

Be aware that your wireless speeds will be halved. The WDS router has to receive on one channel, then turn around and transmit on a second channel, taking twice as much time.

In you situation, I would suggest using a MOCA bridge instead. Connect the MOCA bridge to the coax in the basement and then connect your secondary router to the MOCA bridge.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Silver_2000
Premium
Carrollton, TX
reply to Spacebars

to add your netgear to the fios just turn off dhcp on the netgear and plug a cable from the fios router to one of the 4 non wan ports on the netgear - if the netgera has a bridge mode use that

Silver_2000
Premium
Carrollton, TX
reply to More Fiber

I see nothing in the docs that says it supports WDS
and this link confirms it

»FiOS Router Supports WDS?

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to csudillo

I would second More Fiber's recommendations to setup a MOCA bridge, as that will provide you will full speed over coaxial wiring - plus wireless signal.

You can pick up a pre-owned MI424 Rev. C or F for under $20 shipped, get a line spliter and a short coaxial to go between the line output and the MOCA (secondary MI424) bridge - and with moderate setup, all can be done in under 1 hour - have both full wired & wireless output on both level.

I set ours up almost a year ago using an Rev.A MI424 on our 1st. level as the secondary, as the primary Rev.I MI424 is upstairs, with the main box & BBU coming in thru down in the basement - and we have excellent everywhere, including the yards.

Plus, there's the added advantage of having the secondary router to be available as a backup, easily switched as the primary in case the newest Rev.I failed for whatever reasons until a replacement can be obtained. And, I managed both routers via the browser - distributing the loads to 4 STB's, 4 desktop, 4 laptops/netbooks, 3 to 4 iPads, 2 tablets, and 6+ smartphones, plus, visiting guests/extended family member's devices when folks gathered on weekends & during the holidays ...

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to Silver_2000

said by Silver_2000:

I see nothing in the docs that says it supports WDS

A better description is wireless bridging. The secondary router (if it supports it) acts as a client to the Actiontec like any other wireless device. The Actiontec doesn't know any different. The secondary router then turns around and acts like a WAP for the devices connected to it. The functionality is all in the secondary router.

The Actiontec can not act as a wireless bridge, but there is no reason that a router that supports wireless bridging can't be connected to the Actiontec wirelessly.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bltst2

join:2002-04-06
Conshohocken, PA
reply to csudillo

I can tell you what I did in a similar situation. My Actiontek was in my loft space and 4 stories down in my basement was my Xbox 360, connected via WiFi. I was having trouble using the Xbox due to poor signal.

I originally placed two Linksys routers running DD-WRT in WDS mode to link the two together, but found it problematic for roaming.

I am now running a Ubiquiti Unify LR (»www.ubnt.com/unifi#aplr) AP that covers my whole house with a single AP. No problems, strong signal and great ping times. For $100 or so, you can't go wrong.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to csudillo

Which netgear router? You may be able to flash firmware on it that can make it act as a wifi client.

csudillo

join:2013-03-01
reply to csudillo

Thanks for all the input.
reply to Dream Killer: my Netgear Router is a WNDR3300. I am fairly comfortable with accessing both of the settings on the Routers.