seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: One way to solve it

said by 88615298:

Of course and when people screw around with the OS on their unlocked phone and brick it or mess it up some other way they'll blame the carrier and demand anew phone for free.

I highly doubt that
When people fuck up their computers by "tinkering" or by inadvertent fuckups, they dont go running to the computer manufactures asking for a "free" computer.

complete hogwash.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

You might want to rethink that. Ask any phone support person. Or better yet; someone in the warranty repair department who sees these "bricked" systems come back for exchange with the user saying "I didn't do anything to it.... it just quit." It happens in many different sectors like routers, switches, modems, and even computers. Adding phones to the mix would be nothing new, just a change to the warranty system.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419

Phones now days can be unbricked, and in fact some phones have to be bricked to be rooted. Granted they are soft bricked, but its almost impossible now days to hard brick a phone.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to seamore

to seamore
said by seamore:

said by 88615298:

Of course and when people screw around with the OS on their unlocked phone and brick it or mess it up some other way they'll blame the carrier and demand anew phone for free.

I highly doubt that
When people fuck up their computers by "tinkering" or by inadvertent fuckups, they dont go running to the computer manufactures asking for a "free" computer.

complete hogwash.

What are you talking about. People do that all the time.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to theboz1419

Premium Member

to theboz1419
Had to brick my Burst after ICS upgrade to make it run right. Flash CWM, then the kernel files that the updater fails to overwrite, then run updater again by rebooting to download mode via CWM. Change defective CPU(goes from running on 2 cores to 1 on every one I seen after ICS upgrade) and memory default settings(causing OOM to be an epic fail) and you're in business. This stops all the freezes, lags, crashes, and other bs, as well as enables a recovery mode which was stripped with the ICS upgrade.

But anyways, what does unlocking a phone have to do with bricking? Unlocking is simply unlocking the baseband firmware to allow any carrier's SIM card, usually done via code. It has nothing to do with root and custom ROMs. A phone can be unlocked, but not rooted or vice-versa. I don't care much about unlocking as not many carriers around here meet my needs. Without root, I'd go nuts. I like to have control over my device and some, like this Burst, have to be rooted to run right. So, rooting voids warranties, but unlocking does not.
« Unlocking Phone
This is a sub-selection from One way to solve it