uniqs
share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to csudillo

Re: HELP!!! Router to Router basement from top floor Wireless!

There's no special configuration of the Actiontec needed to use WDS if the secondary router supports it.

Be aware that your wireless speeds will be halved. The WDS router has to receive on one channel, then turn around and transmit on a second channel, taking twice as much time.

In you situation, I would suggest using a MOCA bridge instead. Connect the MOCA bridge to the coax in the basement and then connect your secondary router to the MOCA bridge.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Silver_2000
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX
I see nothing in the docs that says it supports WDS
and this link confirms it

»FiOS Router Supports WDS?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by Silver_2000:

I see nothing in the docs that says it supports WDS

A better description is wireless bridging. The secondary router (if it supports it) acts as a client to the Actiontec like any other wireless device. The Actiontec doesn't know any different. The secondary router then turns around and acts like a WAP for the devices connected to it. The functionality is all in the secondary router.

The Actiontec can not act as a wireless bridge, but there is no reason that a router that supports wireless bridging can't be connected to the Actiontec wirelessly.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.