how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blargoner

@rr.com

[TWC] TWC NYC (Manhattan) slow speeds during peak hours

Click for full size
Download speed over one day (times in UTC)
Click for full size
Download speed over one week (times in UTC)
I have TWC 50/5 Mbps service in NYC (Manhattan). I am experiencing excellent speed during off-peak hours (generally above the rated 50/5 Mbps), but terrible speed during peak hours from approximately 8pm to 1am each night. The worst is usually near 11pm, when download speed often dips below 1Mbps.

I wrote a software tool to run a speed test on my connection every 10 minutes, and have been running this tool all week. The speed pattern is very clear. Attached is a graph of my download speed from one day this week, and also from the entire week.

I suspect this is not a problem with my equipment, but rather a problem on the TWC network causing overload during peak hours. I have contacted TWC tier 3 support, and they are sending someone out to check my equipment tomorrow. If they find no problem with my equipment they will perform additional testing to see if it is an issue with my node or something else on their end.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and gotten it resolved?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

Check your upstream speed at the times when this occurs, just curious.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to blargoner

I will have to say pretty cool you were able to write a tool to automate that and build a graph with some good data there.

blargoner

@rr.com
reply to kilrathi

I'll check the upload speed when the slowdown occurs. My tool currently doesn't support automatic upload tests, so I'll need to do it manually. Is there a reason you're curious about the upload speed?

A technician came out today and checked my line quality. He found that there was a slight signal issue at the connection point to my building, and also replaced a water damaged cable which previously fed my apartment, but he found nothing that would account for the speed pattern I am seeing. He agreed it is likely a network issue and thought that TWC might be doing work on the system during the time when I am experiencing the slowdown. He was not able to provide any evidence for this though, and claimed that technical support (even tier 3) would not know about such work either. This seems a little dubious to me, of course -- as if they'd have employees out doing work every night, slowing connections to a crawl, without notifying anyone else in the company who would be receiving complaints from customers?

The next step will be for TWC to run additional tests to try to pinpoint the issue. I am going to keep running my speed tests in the meantime.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

I don't believe any customer affecting work is being carried out during prime time!

Good Luck.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to blargoner

You should call Level 3 as when I called them many times and now I will have to call even more when I need to find something out as time warner discontinued their network status page, most of the reps will tell you whether your area shows overload/congestion. They can look up the logs and definitely can see that information, just depends on who u encounter on your call. Reason I say to check upstream during that time is to rule out something else going on besides congestion, usually if its congestion it will not affect upstream in most cases. GL

blargoner

join:2013-03-02
New York, NY

1 edit

I ran a number of upload tests, and it appears that during the slowdown the upload speed is also degraded, but not nearly as degraded as the download speed. For example, for the past 30 minutes my download speed has been ~1.5Mbps, but my upload speed has been ~2.5Mbps.

After much arguing on the phone with TWC, I got their "advanced digital services" team to begin 72 hour monitoring on the connection to try to identify the problem. (They first wanted to send a second technician out to check my equipment, but I refused.) I hope they find something...

Titan01

join:2001-08-14
New York, NY

hopefuky their solution is a nrew line

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I do also only call Level 3 now. I too have problems sometimes with slow uploads usually at night but my uploads go very slow where it is 0.03 upload speed. It does not happen every night and it is only brief about ten minutes but I know it is them messing around with the lines as it is not a all day, night thing.

The Level 3 techs say it is upload noise but only when I have slow upload otherwise when I call them when it is normal they say my signal is very strong. I had techs come but they don't do anything. They just check the line to my modem with a signal meter and everything is fine. Client relations is great as they gave me credits in the past and I just got a free month of service.

blargoner

New York, NY
reply to blargoner

Update: The advanced digital services team called me and let me know that they have escalated the issue to the engineering team, who will be looking at the network infrastructure near me (my node, etc.) to identify the source of the problem. No estimated time of resolution yet.

extwctec

@comcast.net
reply to blargoner

Utilization? Guess someone could be hogging bandwidth at odd times. Could be an issue with return signal, snr, or modem frequency. The doc 3 modem bonds to multiple freq. At once. Might look at the modem log to see the levels. Power should be +6 at highest and -5 at lowest. Signal to noise between 32 and 38. Return no higher than 54. Perfect is pwr-0, snr-36.6, ret-46. Being an apartment prob. High return, low power.

blargoner

New York, NY

Click for full size
Download speed yesterday and today (times in UTC)
I wish I could access my modem stats and logs. Sadly, they lock us out of them in NYC. It's for our own good I'm sure...

Meanwhile, my connection is still experiencing the same issue, like clockwork between ~8pm and ~1am every night, and also during the day on weekends. Given the regularity of the pattern, I still feel confident it is related to utilization.

Attached is a graph of download speed all day yesterday (Sunday) and today. I'm currently in the trough, at ~0.5 Mbps.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to blargoner

ouch thats quite extreme.

snarvax

@rr.com
reply to blargoner

Noticed the same thing in my Manhattan connection, drops below 2 Mbps. Worse between 8 and 11pm. I am not automated but keep a spreadsheet.
It has happened before, they will send someone, check the cables etc. then magically after a few days / weeks the download speed will increase to full speed. I assume the local node is overloaded by Roku boxes and Netflix watchers and hope that they add new hardware but am not sure if they just increase the priority of people that complain. I will start the complaint process in a week or two.

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY
reply to blargoner

Why not buy a D3 modem/gateway and save the monthly rental fee? Then you could access your modem stats and logs.

xmiinc

join:2010-07-10
New York, NY
reply to snarvax

For me this is a first time thing. I noticed something off maybe 4-5 days ago, but didn't investigate until this past weekend. For me there is no time-of-day with normal service. It just started lagging. What I've determined with Broadband Speed Test is that I have fantastic download speed (often >22mbps and as high as 30mbps) but next to no upload speed (no greater than .05mbps and sometimes nothing registers at all). So I can stream content fine, but webpages and remote site admin is practically back to 56k dialup speeds. I compared my normal setup, through a DIR-655 router, with a straight-to-modem patch...same performance: great download, awful upload speeds. So I figured this is a TWC-RR issue and I came to the forum to see if others had the same problem. At first glance it seems I'm not the only one. I'm located on the East Side just below 14th Street, if that says anything to anybody? Tom

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

sounds like u have upstream issue or there is upstream problem on the node.

sticks435

join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO
reply to blargoner

Is there anyway you'd be willing to share that program you wrote? I think I may be having a similar issue in KC and would like to have something to show the level 3 guys.

Thanks!

blargoner

New York, NY

@Nick21 I will be getting my own gateway soon, not only to access the stats/logs but also to increase the wireless security.

@sticks435 You can download my software here: »github.com/blargoner/speedy . See the README file for usage information. You can have it log results to a local file on your computer or to an Amazon CloudWatch account.

sticks435

Kansas City, MO

said by blargoner:

@sticks435 You can download my software here: »github.com/blargoner/speedy . See the README file for usage information. You can have it log results to a local file on your computer or to an Amazon CloudWatch account.

Cool, got it running. Do you mind me asking how you got it to graph out like that? Is that part of Amazon Cloud?

blargoner

New York, NY

Yes, the graphs are from CloudWatch. You can get an account there for free as the usage required by my tool will fall within the free tier.

sticks435

Kansas City, MO
reply to blargoner

Click for full size
Thanks, I got it working. Here is my graph from about the last 24 hours. Took a nose dive about 4PM yesterday and came back up about 1AM. Even better today, it tanked at 10AM and has been crap slow all day.

blargoner

New York, NY

Wow, I thought mine was bad. Good luck with that. TWC seems to be very slow to move on these issues...

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to blargoner

I think you are giving too much credit to speedof.me I just I ran a speedtest and I got 2.5 Mbps down and 5.92 Mbps up.

Soon after I ran a test to Dallas and Houston using speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net and got what I'm supposed to get 50/5Mbps to be exact 51.7 Mbps down 5.12 Mbps up.

So your script looks very good and cool but IMO the speedtest server you are using is not reliable.

Can you modify your program to use other speedtest servers?

blargoner

New York, NY

I've generally found speedof.me to be consistent with speedtest.net both when the issue is occurring and when it is not.

I chose speedof.me because it is HTML5 based (as opposed to Flash or Java, like most others), making it easy to write that automated tool.

sticks435

Kansas City, MO
reply to blargoner

Yea, I have noticed that even though speedof.me shows it's extremely slow, youtube or other streaming will actually be fast. Can't remember what I was doing eariler, but it showed like 2.5Mbps, and I buffered a video at my full 57. But then like 5 minutes later I went to stream another vid and it was like .5, so seems it's all over the place for me.

blargoner

New York, NY
reply to blargoner

Just an update:

- When I spoke to the advanced digital services team last week, they said engineering has identified the issue as a utilization/congestion issue on my node, but there is still no estimated time of resolution.

- I was contacted by the client relations team, who will supposedly be crediting me for the issue.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to blargoner

Thats more like overkill congestion on that node. I wonder how many high speed customers are on that node, you should ask them that lol.

blargoner

New York, NY
reply to blargoner

Click for full size
Last Thursday, someone from the client relations team called me, said that TWC had done "some work in my area", and asked me to check whether the problem was still occurring.

I started running my testing tool again for the past 5 days and, yep, the problem's still occurring!

sticks435

Kansas City, MO
reply to blargoner

Yea, they gave me the same BS answer over in the direct forums too.