spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LanDroid2
join:2004-12-20
Cincinnati, OH

LanDroid2

Windows 8 gadgets gone

New to Windows 8, just figgered out the gadgets are gone due to security concerns. I just want to use a meter that monitors CPU & GPU useage (I Boinc like a crazy person Ni!) and one to monitor internet traffic. After checking around, getting a gadget is so complicated, I'm coming here for advice. Or is the security risk so high I should fuggedaboudit? Is there a way to monitor CPU and internet without a "gadget", perhaps an "app"?

This article lists several options:
»www.ghacks.net/2012/08/2 ··· em-back/

Here's one option, which looks suspicious:
»forums.mydigitallife.inf ··· -Version

Here's another listed in the article above, which is like you gotta be kidding me:
»beatmasters-winlite-blog ··· +Blog%29

Here's another option that looks more promising:
»8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/

Another is Rainmeter, but that seems like overkill for what I want:
»rainmeter.net/cms/

(Why couldn't MS just offer say 25 tested gadgets and lock out everything else, or is there something inherently unsafe in that entire system?)

Again, this is now so bleeping complicated I'm asking for a recommendation from folks who are actively using something like the doo-hickey below. Thanks for any help!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

It has nothing to do with security and all about forcing the Metro UI full screen Start Screen down people's throats. Myself, I went back to Windows 7 because of that BS.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to LanDroid2

Premium Member

to LanDroid2
quote:
Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of Windows, the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery.
Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time.
Rest of above quote contains old MS KB: Vulnerabilities in Gadgets Could Allow Remote Code Execution

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Install EMET and protect the sidebar.exe file with EMET, security issue mitigated.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Does Win 8 still allow a sidebar ? Don't run the O/S.
LanDroid2
Cincinnati, OH

LanDroid2

No Sidebar in Win 8.

Ran across this by accident. Seems to work well without the gadget drama...

»openhardwaremonitor.org/

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

And no installed KB's prevent you from running this widget ?
LanDroid2
Cincinnati, OH

LanDroid2

No, that's a stand alone software, not a gadget or widget that needs the sidebar, etc...

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to LanDroid2

Premium Member

to LanDroid2
This stinks. I like my gadgets/widgets on Windows 7. I would miss them.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to LanDroid2

Premium Member

to LanDroid2
Those looking for a gpu monitor in Win 8 can get MSI afterburner, you can detach the hardware monitor, and it acts like a gadget.

Win 8 Beta still had the gadgets, but in Win 8 retail the core runtimes for them have been removed.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Thanks for this, BlitzenZeus See Profile

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to LanDroid2

Premium Member

to LanDroid2
You can try Rainmeter, but I personally didn't care for it that much. Then I found 8GadgetPack:

»8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/

Basically it restores gadget support to Windows 8. I had a small handful of favorite system and network monitoring gadgets that I am now happily running again. And, if you did an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 8, you'll find the gadgets you had installed previously will still be there available for use.