guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to cgott42423

Premium Member

to cgott42423

Re: Verizon FIOS - continual drops - NAT table issue?

Run a simple test, no guessing needed.

Directly connect your computer to the ONT perform the upload, if it works or not, then since you imply it fails every-time with a large upload, this should answer you question if its the router or not
cgott42423
join:2013-03-03

cgott42423

thx
is there anything else I need to do, or is it just simply plugging the computer into the ONT to get connected to the internet, and then upload.

To answer the other Q asked - I use logmein Himachi to set up a VPN between 2 locations and then transfer files. with that connection I transfer with freedownloadmanager to get multiple simultaneous connections, or just directly transfer with Windows Explorer

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by cgott42423:

is there anything else I need to do

You should release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec before disconnecting it, otherwise you may have a hard time acquiring a new DHCP lease until the old one expires.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?

Gary A
join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Gary A

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't."

I still laugh at that line every time you post, More Fiber.

I know, I'm so I'll quit now.
cgott42423
join:2013-03-03

cgott42423 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Run a simple test, no guessing needed.

Directly connect your computer to the ONT perform the upload, if it works or not, then since you imply it fails every-time with a large upload, this should answer you question if its the router or not

Sorry for the delay, I finally got around to testing this.

I released the DHCP (as per suggestion from "More Fiber"), unplugged the router and then went to the ONT.
I noticed that the MoCA light was blinking red
Anyway, I plugged in my computer directly to the ONT via Cat5 cable - however it wouldn't connect.

When I plugged my router back in, the internet worked and the MoCA turned green. I tried to transfer a coule of files (the old way - i.e. not directly to the ONT) and it crashed during the 2nd transfer.

Did I do something wrong with the ONT connection?

I found someone else with a similar problem
»businessforums.verizon.n ··· p/347207
but don't see that he got it resolved only that he also had about 10 FIOS techs come to his house without fixing it