Search similar:

uniqs

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

1 edit

Rickkins

Shaw: 250M down, 1TB data, $115 a month

How is it that Shaw can offer such a package while videotron offers nothing even close...??

What's wrong at videotron..??

»www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Shaw operates in the West AFAIK, so they deal with the competition in the West.

Historically, Videotron has never, not even, once, innovated by offering generous or risky packages. They've always adapted last to whatever offer their competitor had.

This is what is happening here.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Yup, quite true indeed. You can almost imagine my surprise when they (probably accidently) offered a good cell phone plan. I moved quick, so I think I'm the only one who got it. It's no longer available...
Seb8517 (banned)
join:2010-07-12

Seb8517 (banned) to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Enfait c'est pas au canada on se fait fourer mais juste au Quebec et Ontario ....

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
What you receive is directly related to the competition, no more and no less. Here in Quebec there is no competition, so Videotron has no reason to innovate.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

I would have thought there was plenty of competition, with Bell, Rogers, Telus etc...
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to Rickkins

to Rickkins
The closest they can come to is 200M down, Unlimited data, $239.99 a month
MrBabou
join:2006-08-16
Gatineau

MrBabou to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Wow, nice package! I'd take it in a jiffy!

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Yea, no kidding. Almost makes me wanna move out west, just to get that package....
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

said by GuiGQc:

The closest they can come to is 200M down, Unlimited data, $239.99 a month

Or there's also Bell with his 175M down, Unlimited data at $236.95
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Rickkins

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

I would have thought there was plenty of competition, with Bell, Rogers, Telus etc...

How many of those can you get wired to your home? For most of Quebec, you only have choice between Bell and Videotron. For most of Ontario, you only have choice between Rogers and Bell. For the few places that have Cogeco, neither Rogers or Videotron is available so your choices are Bell or Cogeco. In the west, you get to choose between Telus and Shaw.

In just about every market, the wireline is a duopoly between one telco and one cableco.

Having 100 different companies does not competition make if they all operate in mutually exclusive markets leaving most people with only one or two choices. Subscribership can only be split between so many wires before build and operating costs become unsustainable, which is why almost no places on the planet have a 3rd wire.
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc

Independant ISP does help though... However, they're very dependant of the CRTC's decisions.
Altheran5
join:2011-04-08
J3M0C7

2 edits

Altheran5 to Rickkins

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

How is it that Shaw can offer such a package while videotron offers nothing even close...??

What's wrong at videotron..??

»www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/

Voila la Reponse :

»www.shaw.ca/terms-of-use/

Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Videotron Fait pas de Traffic Shaping. Seulement Bandwidth shaping en AMONT sur les forfait TGV120/200 si overall la cellule congestionne, c'est une verif faite au 15 minutes. Ca remonte des que la cellule va ok. Il n'y a pas de protocole viser en particulier (aka on vous throttle si vous faites du P2P)

Tout est bien expliquer ici :

»soutien.videotron.com/re ··· n-trafic
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to Rickkins

to Rickkins
I would prefer a 30mbit package with a reasonable cap for under 50$/month

Vidéotron has been just awful at offering good value. They've singlehandedly ruined internet and wireless service competition in Québec, IMO.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

well, upload is alot more expensive then download, and the shaw package lacks upload its half of the 30mbps up that the videotron 200mbps plan has, also the shaw 250 is available almost nowhere, and where it was in alot of places it was taken away because when 1 user got there full 250 down other users sharing the network got nothing

you are the first person east coast i have heard saying west coast internet is better haha, east coast is much better with bell fibe and rogers has some pretty good plans too
GuiGQc
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

I would prefer a 30mbit package with a reasonable cap for under 50$/month

Only Electronic Box can currently offer that.