spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Daremo_06
@ummhc.org

Daremo_06

Anon

[speed/latency] Best router/modem combo for Verizon Business Cla

I am looking to upgrade connection speeds for a small business that has Verizon's FIOS for small business. It has the standard FIOS modem/Wireless router that is then hardwired to a cisco 8port 1Gb switch. Ideally, I would like to have 12-16 1gb capable lines available and wireless N at min.

I realize there are some optimizations I need to perform on the individual machines, but I also want to ensure the network itself is correctly configured.

Is this achievable with the standard modem you get in the FIOS package or should I get a 3rd party unit? Additionally, anyone have a switch/router recommendation?

Thanks
sphinxguy18
Premium Member
join:2008-01-13
Dallas, TX

sphinxguy18

Premium Member

Re: [speed/latency] Best router/modem combo for Verizon Business

What speed package do these people have with Verizon FiOS?

I'm not sure what you know about networks, so forgive me if I am telling you something you already know. But depending on the connection speed (15/5, 50/25, 75/35, 150/65, 300/65), and what this business does for a living (law office or a medical practice) you don't want the Default Gateway of your network also being your Firewall (aka the connection to the Internet).

I would suggest, since you are already planning on upgrade the 1GB switch from a 8 port to at least a 24 port I would look at the Cisco SG500-28 or SG500-28P (if they need POE). It is a Layer 3 Switch, so all Broadcast traffic (aka junk traffic) including but not limited to connection to their local server (or NAS) etc. run on their local Cisco Layer 3 switch. Then I would either get a small Cisco ASA (once again not knowing their speed) or even a Sonicwall (I have a TZ200 here at home on my 75/35) and add a route to the route table that says something along the lines of "ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1 being the LAN interface of your firewall unit)

I don't think it would be wise to purchase a Cisco 2800 or even a Cisco ASA5510 for your WAN traffic because A.) both have a limit of 10/100 and B.) 12-16 people wouldn't generate enough traffic to even hit 5% of port utilization. Even though some people may disagree, a Sonicwall in a commercial environment, I think would be ideal for the 12 - 16 people. I have their NSA3500 on a 20/20 fiber and approx 60 people and we barely break 10% port utilization.

Also, another bit of information (aka food for thought) is don't think what you need today, think what you're GOING to need 3 to 5 years. Most of your purchased (not leased) computer equipment qualify for a depreciation, so if you have the money now I would look at that $870 SG500-28P (POE Layer 3 Cisco SMB Switch) if you can afford it because you MAY go to a VoIP service through like 8x8 (a hosted VoIP Service), etc. etc.

But until you're able to answered the bases, it's hard to tell you for sure.
sphinxguy18

sphinxguy18 to Daremo_06

Premium Member

to Daremo_06
One more thought after reading what I wrote, if your company has more than a 100MB Internet Connection you're either going to have a hard time finding A.) a 10/100/1000 WAN port on a firewall or B.) if you do, it's going to be expensive because you're starting to creep up on Enterprise Firewall (aka Cisco ASA's for an example).

Just thought I would throw that out there.
Expand your moderator at work