how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

[TWC] TWC Roku App Locking Up My Modem

I think streaming TV for the new TWC Roku app is putting a strain on my modem. It locks up 2 or 3 times a day. Would I benefit from a speed bump from 10 to 15 Mbps? My wireless router is Linksys WRT310N and the Roku is connected ethernet.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5

Look in the log of the modem if you can to see what may be causing issues.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

The only thing in the Recent Events Log that is not maintenance are some of these -

Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

mephaust

join:2007-08-06
Brooklyn, NY
reply to gjrhine

If you haven't already, try to reproduce the problem with your modem plugged directly into the roku box, which would tell you whether your router is relevant to the issue at hand.

Depending on what modem model you have, you may benefit from putting it into "bridged" mode - if it's bridging, the next device down the line (roku OR router) will show up with a public IP.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to gjrhine

Also post your up and downstream power levels. I once had a modem that would lock up on continuous streaming because the downstream power level was too hot.

/M

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

This changes about every second.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to gjrhine

What do you mean it locks up? Do you have to do anything to the modem to restore the connection?

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

Yes all lights turn from blinking to solid on and I unplug/replug to reconnect. I need do nothing to the wireless router.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by gjrhine:

Yes all lights turn from blinking to solid on and I unplug/replug to reconnect. I need do nothing to the wireless router.

The modem might be switching channels under the load.

If you do nothing to the modem, does the connection restore itself?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

No not even hours later.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

Does leaving the modem alone and power cycling the router fix anything?

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

No. Just now tried it. Still have to reboot modem.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

Get a new, different model modem

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

TWC will be here tomorrow. Thanks for the clues.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

TWC replaced the 9v modem and 12v power supply with a modem and power supply with matched voltage. No problems for 24 hours and counting.
--