spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jetpack

@rr.com

15 GB/mo with new Windows 8 laptop

A friend who is a little old lady has had VZ broadband for three years. No video. No audio. Just email, and checking the news. At month's end she uses 50% of her 5GB. Her laptop with the broadband card died. She picked up a VZ Jetpack and an HP with Win 8. In 11 days she used 90% of her 5 GB. The next day she got on and off quickly but the remaining 10% was used up. Since day 1 she shut the Jetpack off as soon as she went offline. The unit was password secured by VZ. Besides, she lives in the back woods. Anyway, does anyone know of this happening to others---or have any ideas? Thanks

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
If she is connecting via 4G/LTE with the Jetpack it doesn't take long to blow through the cap at high speed
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Jetpack
Somethings not right.. Even with 1 gigabyte per second speeds what it sounds like shes doing shouldn't burn that much data that quickly.. Sounds like something on the computer is "helping her out"

I'm guessing malware of some sort

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Updates maybe?

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike:

Updates maybe?

I'm guessing this too. If it was a new laptop there were probably plenty of updates to download. See if the usage levels off next month to a smaller number.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to Mike
What in the hell could be updating that much that quick? Good god man! Does she play wow or something?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
WoW does not use that much data, and I doubt "a little old lady" is playing it.

I agree with the "updates" sucking it down. Have her (or you) check her account on the Verizonwireless.com site daily to see whats going on.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Jetpack

@rr.com
reply to Jetpack
I finally convinced her to dump VZ forever and go with TW's $19.99 introductory plan. Now begins the fun of suing VZ to get them to take their plan and shove it. She's an hour from VZ Corporate. She's not a lawyer but you would never know it if you saw her in court. She will win!

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
You probably don't have to litigate yet.

Just argue with customer service.

I think they can do a data breakdown if you're really go on about it.

Jetpack

@rr.com

The rest of the story

I should clarify... The problem with her original computer (toward the end) was that it could no longer connect and when it did connect it took a half hour to log in. Verizon convinced her the Jetpack was the answer---putting it in a better location such as the 2nd floor to connect to 4G. Today she was supposed to return it. They said 'nope we only allow returns up to 14 days'---today is day 15. They spooked her with the $175 charge to get out of the contract. Then they said 'we'll give you 8 GB for the same price as 5GB. She balked. They then offered her 18% off her bill each month. They convinced her to stay (for now) then said :"We don't have 4G where you live'.

Jetpack

@rr.com
reply to Mike

Re: 15 GB/mo with new Windows 8 laptop

Here's something interesting.....Verizon's CSR looked on the computer and confirmed that she did not download a single video or audio file. I wonder how much else they can tell about what we do???

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by Jetpack :

Here's something interesting.....Verizon's CSR looked on the computer and confirmed that she did not download a single video or audio file. I wonder how much else they can tell about what we do???

As the ISP they can tell everything about what you do... they are the segment of the network that you have to go through to get to "the internet".

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to Jetpack
Def windows updates and other stuff with LTE this can be very quick. You can turn off the updates however I don't think that is a safe option , bump her to higher TIER maybe? just a tip