cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: The post office should cut costs

Good luck explaining to your insurance company why the bill was paid a week late... "Mail is only delivered and picked up on Monday's out here."

Different rates based on population density will never sit well with people. Enough people already avoid the USPS and their ever expanding fees, they don't need MORE reasons to avoid them.

Post offices don't have nearly enough space to offer a box to every rural customer. In fact, they've shut down a good number of facilities already. Having a tiny box several miles away from you that needs to be checked at least weekly -- mother****ing junk mail!!! -- is absolutely annoying.

(Used to be, eons ago, one could opt-out of junk mail ["bulk mail"], but the USPS today are such whores for every penny, they won't do that. Oct/Nov/Dec every year, my "PO Box" (pedestal) will overflow in a week -- or faster -- with useless damned sales and fliers. Otherwise, I get a half dozen 1st class, non-bulk, intentionally-sent-to-me things PER MONTH; and none of it needs my attention.)

pepsiaddict

join:2007-10-31
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

Rural users pay a fee for UPS/Fedex delivery services (on top of any applicable residential fee) .. why should USPS be treated any differently? Its a business just like UPS and Fedex are ... USPS is just burdened with more regulations/requirements/legislative whims than its competitors.

Realistically ... UPS and Fedex have conceded there is little/no money to be made in super rural areas ... if its rural enough your UPS/Fedex package gets delivered by USPS anyway.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

why should USPS be treated any differently?

Because they are government business. Their existence is legislated -- and they MUST serve 100% of US territories. UPS and Fedex are private, for-profit companies with investors and shareholders, and is free to serve whomever and where ever they wish.

If you remember DHL... there were LOTS of places in the US where they didn't run. They wouldn't deliver packages there at all -- no hand off, NOTHING. And UPS/Fedex do not hand off to USPS unless you pay for that service. (and you'll be told about it up-front.) [Newegg and Amazon use that service, even in serviced areas; I've had numerous USPS last-mile-deliveries to commercial locations in Raleigh, where their drivers have to go *anyway* for pickups and empty the drop box.]