spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

getting the most out of bb50 or more via wifi

ok, so i get 46-48mb wired consistently, wireless is a bit less consistent, im running my dir 655 with qos off, only on wireless n, with the channel width to 20/40 auto, using all n devices to connect

macbook pro- seen it hit from 20-45, usually around 30-35, just tested and it hit 40.5, earlier it wasn't wanting to go above 30, on my dlink router page it shows the device with a rate or 130m which im assuming means its a 130mb connection in 11n with 100% signal strength, so why cant i atleast get the full 46-48 i get wired

hp pavilion dv6 seen it from 5-45, usually between 10-30, just tested 3 times hit 24, 10, then 29.5, earlier it was holding a rate of 130 and i got a speed test around 45 megs, now while the mac is connected and not even active on the network it is showing 65-78m, dont know why its goin up and down, mode is 11n, signal 100%, ps originally i couldnt get this computer to hit 30 untill today i turned the channel width to 20/40 and to wireless n only instead of ng

i dont know if these r normal wireless losses, or if i could be using better hardware/software router combinations, seems like if i had 1 wireless device connected, it might perform better then with multiple, tho my router should be able to handle a few small connections, and even when i test with the macbook or the dv6 as the only computer on the network, the wireless tests are still inconsistent, i figured in this day and age we would have some pretty solid wireless technology, but im still having trouble getting a steady wireless connection, aside from the fact my apple tv has always showed a rate of 65M in wireless N with a 100% signal strength, and hasnt lagged since i have made these changes

maybe i should try connecting to the cisco wireless to compare, but its in bridge mode and i feel this would be a huge pain in the ass

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

Because of overhead in the Wifi standard, best case you're going to get 45 - 50% of the rate its showing you're connected at. Throw in interference which is pretty common on the 2.4 GHz band and its not that surprising.

You also have to remember that in order to adhere to the N standard, an AP has to be polite. If it can hear a neighbour's AP anywhere on the 40 MHz chunk your AP is trying to use its going to fallback to a single 20 MHz channel. Remember that there is only 60 MHz of spectrum available in the 2.4 GHz band so there is a good chance of this happening.

So your best bet is using 5 GHz radios that support 2+ streams but even then the range on them is lower than 2.4 GHz radios. You may need an extra AP or 2 to get the level of coverage you want depending on the size and layout of your place.

I regularly get 130+ Mbps over 5 GHz with my 2 stream radios.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 18286719

Through-put on wireless, 30-40 mbps on a 130mbps wifi connection, seems about right.

If you can get connected at the full 300 mbps the DIR-655 can connect at you should see closer to 50 mbps.

Try disconnecting the slowest connecting devices, seeing if that helps.

Can you set your router, instead of 20/40, to 40 only?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Whistler, BC
reply to 18286719

kevinds no i can not set it to 40 only, pretty sure because it has to be able to fall back to 20 in case of interference ect, as for ruiners comment what does me mean i may need extra ap, apartment or am i dumb? im confused lol

also say i was running broadband 100 on this same line, what would my wireless speeds hit with these devices with no hardware upgrades, and then how much better would the speeds be with a nice dual band say like a dir 857 with 900mb of theorical wireless bandwidth, would all my devices that had the matching hardware to achieve this connection be able to hit close to 100 megs?

ill be using a macbook to backup about 40 gigs a week wirelessly, getting this and other similar jobs done asap is essential to me.

i looked into enable channel bonding on the macbook, they dont allow it on a 2.4 ghz band, only 5, wich is making me want a better router, tho i dont wanna loose my 100% signal strength i have right now on the 2.4 band how much worse is the signal loss on 5 ghz

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

If you were running BB100, I would expect you to get the same wireless performance you get now.

Dual-Band router may assist, I the 5.8 has much lower 'range' because it doesn't travel through solid-objects as well, but also helps with less interfance and higher speeds.

If you can disconnect the power from your slower devices, it may help your router not have to fall-back to 20 MHz, speeding things up, maybe connecting at closer to 300 instead of 130. If your Macbook won't bond 2.4, this really doesn't matter though.

If you get a dual-band router, you won't lose the 2.4, you will be adding the 5.8, so you would be providing both at the same time in your place. - No device will use both at the same time, but they can use whichever is better.

In my opinion, trying to get faster than the 30-40 you currently get wirelessly, isn't worth the investment, if you need the extra speed for something, plug in for that period of time.
--

Whistler, BC
reply to 18286719

fair enough, i guess it just bugs me how much the connection varied, if i got 30-40mbps on each device consistently that would make me happy, on my telus line, everything gets 15 down pretty consistently wifi or wired, and i dont get why one test on my shaw my stuff with act normal (30-40) and then another test it will be odd and test low (12-20), i know its not congestion related, and today i got a random test of 4mb on the macbook wich was really odd, i have also seen a youtube video of someone on shaw bb100 who simply enabled channel bonding on there wireless n adapter and it gave them wireless speeds or around 80mbps

i dont got alot money to spend so if i did upgrade probably be a lil bit and i think im better of waiting for newer ac tech in about a year, my next laptop purchase should fall nicely in time with that

Whistler, BC
reply to 18286719

alright, today i did some more wireless testing, and got some surprising results, you see the laptop i was using to test wired, i don't use it wireless, ever, mainly because ive learned that my laptops wireless adapter causing unnecessary dpc lag spikes and i thought today might be a better day to test wireless while my network is not under load (im only one home on it, apple tv connected doing nothing, aswell as 3 pc laptops including mine not using the intenet just waiting for me to speed test between em

the first thing that amazed me was when i tested my laptop wireless about 1 foot from the router, i got amazing results almost the same as wired »speedtest.net/result/2562524931.png at this point i realized my low download test speeds were related to my router being bogged down, and or connection interference, im leaning towards connection interference tho i did only get these great results when i had no more then 4 devices hooked upto the router

take a look at these results tho

my dell xps laptop wired (all these tests will be via chrome) »speedtest.net/result/2562515070.png

my dell 1 foot from router
»speedtest.net/result/2562524931.png

my dell 6-8 feet from router

test 1: »speedtest.net/result/2562566992.png

test 2: »speedtest.net/result/2562528074.png

NEVER HIT BELOW 40, NUMEROUS TESTS OVER AND OVER! my dell must have a good wifi card

i was very happy with these results, so i weant to go grab the HP dv6 to do some tests on it again, and i got some suprising results

wireless 1 ft from router (all these tests will be via IE)
»speedtest.net/result/2562536945.png

»speedtest.net/result/2562545264.png

6 or 7 feet from router on my lap
bad test: »speedtest.net/result/2562543999.png

good test: »www.speedtest.net/result/2562584422.png

5 feet from router on floor
»speedtest.net/result/2562549047.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2562592827.png

i think what this tells me is that interference and or weak wireless adapters is causing my problem, that and the fact that my router probably wouldnt have any interference if i was dual band, but i question if the devices wifi cards could handle higher speeds, other then my dell

the only problem i think my d link is giving is the fact it should be connecting with wireless 300 but i havnt seen more then 130, im curious what i would get on bb100 connected to same router wireless over the same 130mb connection long post wouldnt be suprised if i confused some people so if u have any questions let me know

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Unless you're on a promo for BB50, try BB100 for a couple weeks? Its $10/more per month a week's test would cost what $2.50 more
--

Whistler, BC

this is on my to do list but im on promotion for bb50 like u said, + already have note made on my shaw account i get to try bb100 for free for 1 day when my promo is up

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to 18286719

Overall I've seen better results with 2.4 than 5 on a most AP's. better range, overall better and more stable connections. All about finding the best channel. Usually auto will do its best to stay away from interference. Sometimes manually will be needed, especially if planning on doing roaming on a couple consumer grade routers.

Whistler, BC

i guess 2.4 is better as far as signal strength goes, but considering my wifi card and probly 99% other wifi cards dont include channel bonding on 2.4 freq wich means running 40mz on 2.4 is pointless most of the time, im also under the assumtion this is done by companies to make u have to buy the new dual band routers to get these speeds, even tho technically 300M is achievable on wifi just 2.4, i bet 1/1,000,000 people on with a wireless 300m router are actually receiving that speed, its basically a marketing scam unless you buy d links dwa 643 adapter or something similar, i just really wanna see a pic of someone getting the claimed 300M on a 300M router, better yet my router

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

The only time I've gotten 300 using 2.4 was during a power-outage, all the neighbor's 2.4 GHz stuff was offline...

Internet speeds were really quick too haha
--

Whistler, BC

lol like actually? i didnt think my neighbors were causing this but maybe they are, there are a few networks in the area (5-10) detectable from time to time, but i considered this fairly light compared to some areas ive seen, does this mean ur using a dir 655 aswell kevinds? also u got bb50 like me? or what speed if not 50

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to 18286719

I'll take a good 20MHz 2.4 anyday, as it's reliable and I get exceptional range and stable speed. I rock the DAP-2553 and it handles the load exceptional. The range is more dependent on your hardware not the technology per say. I'm getting 50-60Mb/s on this AP, with injectors now to.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 18286719

Access Points using 40 MHz seem to be very sensitive to neighbors, so they drop down to 130 to avoid interferance with neighboring services, I'm confident it is built into the spec for 40 MHz, but not all devices implment it properly.

No, the D-Link routers I've used won't do MAC Filtering properly, so I don't use them.
--

ruiner

Canada
reply to 18286719

If the AP follows the spec correctly, it will fallback to 20 MHz if it detects a neighbouring AP on a conflicting channel. Ie, you're on channel 6 and they're on channel 5.

Considering you should be able to get 50 - 60 Mbps with a clean 130 Mbps N connection it would seem like there is interference causing your problems. Repositioning the AP or trying other channels might help out somewhat.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

There are 3 non-overlapping 20 MHz channels 1, 6, 11
With 40MHz 2.4, there are no non-conflicting channels (why when using 40 MHz you can't select a channel) - yes over simplified

Or detects devices that can't do 40 MHz it will drop back to 20 MHz as wel.

Some devices are more conservative than others on when to drop back, is what I should have said instead of "not all devices implment it properly"
--

ruiner

Canada

No actually that's incorrect. And besides the point since with a clean 130 Mbps connection, which can do 50 - 60 Mbps of throughput, you can easily handle a 50 Mbps internet connection. Bonding another channel when you're getting 5 Mbps isn't going to help that much.

quote:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···z-part-2

The Wi-Fi Alliance pointed out that the second equation in part 10.15.3.2 shown below adds an important behavior. It essentially says that if either the primary or secondary channel of a 20/40 router or AP is the same as either the primary or secondary channel of a 20/40 neighbor AP or the operating channel of a 20 MHz router or AP, then 40 MHz operation is permitted. The reason for this is that since the two APs are operating on the same frequencies, each one can understand the other's transmissions and can coordinate transmissions properly.