uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker

Re: community broadband is communist

You suggested that corporations somehow magically create laws, which isn't accurate. They may influence legislation, but ultimately the laws come from our elected officials. The legislators are to blame, plain and simple.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

You suggested that corporations somehow magically create laws

They use money. No magic needed or implied.

When corporate influence gets to the point that people are demonizing community works without being shamed we should question if Corporatism is working.

Problem is we have such a top heavy federal tax. If it were removed, then communities would not have to grovel to get their own money back, or face stigmas when trying to IMPROVE life for its local residents.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

They use money. No magic needed or implied.

Great, corporations use money. Who ultimately has the power to vote a bill into law?

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

Have you ever considered these politicians get elected with Corporate cash and influence with false promises?

Kind of defeats your whole implied argument.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

except now with SuperPACs we do not even know exactly where every single billion has come from. If I remember correctly, Unlike normal campaign donations a superPAC does not have to say who gives them money.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
It doesn't defeat anything. It demonstrates that we're lazy, ignorant, and that maybe things aren't bad enough yet since we continue electing these public servants back into office. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me?

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

lay people have very little influence on who runs for political office. In both time and money.

The whole political system has been perverted. The system was never designed for people to have great concern for who they elect to federal office as they had little or no power over their day to day lives.

People can not be expected to tightly watch or regulate federal politicians. It is not practical.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

lay people have very little influence on who runs for political office. In both time and money.

Huh? Maybe not who runs, but if they vote, they sure as hell have influence on who is elected.
said by DataRiker:

People can not be expected to tightly watch or regulate federal politicians.

And that's the laziness that I referenced. If we don't care, we deserve what we get.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

No, I don't think you understand. It is not possible for any normal working person to "keep watch" on federal elected officials.

The original intent was to have social and economic issues handled at the local and state level, where constituents can monitor their elected officials.

Having federal officials make the lion share of public policy is a massive failure, and always will be.

Nobody has the time nor the energy to track and understand all federal laws and regulations.

Your just giving a dumb cliche response.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to DataRiker

to DataRiker
At times like these I'll laugh very hard if North Korea does end up nuking the USA...

It'll give people a change of view and most especially an excuse for everyone to seriously attack N. Korea.

And no, N. Korea fits into dictatorship, not communism like China.
Plus China is changing in their own ways, so it's not the same communism you would have known.

Russia is getting off worse apparently, because their economy recovered, but it costs the people their livelihood. Dictatorship/Communism much?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

Having federal officials make the lion share of public policy is a massive failure, and always will be.

I agree with that. Keep the Feds where they belong. Aren't we discussing a state in this thread though?

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

You can't discuss the state without discussing the federal government.

All federal laws and regulation override state and local laws, and federal taxes are obviously highest as well. ( should be the opposite )
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

I don't dispute that, but this thread is about GA and the potential legislation that wasn't overridden by Federal law or regulation. Yes, taxes are out of whack as well. They should be reduced across the board and rescoped to focus on important aspects that truly benefit society as a whole, not thrown into the toilet benefiting a small few at best.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

Having the private sector has proven to be such a miserable failure just as much.