uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustypixel
Rustypixel

join:2001-03-23
Old Bridge, NJ
reply to rustypixel

Re: Storm door hinge decision

Since this is a townhouse development I cannot feasibly change the walkway or the shrubs. That's staying as is. Also, flipping the orientation of the main door would cause the door swing to block the entryway leaving me with a need to open the door all the way to be able to get in/out. Not happening either. I walked around and asked a few people in the area if I could examine their doors. I found that with the door swinging towards the wall, getting at the knob/lock isn't that difficult. However, with the door swinging towards the right (away from the wall) isn't bad either because there is apparently plenty of space to open the door and walk around. The interesting thing that I found out is that those that have installed with the door hinge to the left (opening towards the wall) want to change it. It seems that the biggest complaint I've heard about that set up is that they have had to replace glass already due to the wind smashing the door against the wall and shattering the glass. Yet those few that have hung their doors hinged to the right (opening away from the wall). After checking things out I think I'm going to take a gamble and have the door hung to match the main door. I presume that once hung the door cannot just be easily flipped to be hinged to other side?

Thanks for the continued replies.
--
Out of my mind and out of control!

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by rustypixel:

It seems that the biggest complaint I've heard about that set up is that they have had to replace glass already due to the wind smashing the door against the wall and shattering the glass.

A properly adjusted chain with spring should solve that problem.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to rustypixel
If we are talking storm doors through lowes or depot, no on reversing the swing after install. The storm door jamb is what they call z-bars. When you install the z-bars you cut the extra length from the bottom. If you reversed the swing later your latch side would be too high (latch side z-bar comes pre-mortised for the latch and deadbolt) as you would have to spin the z-bar 180° (top to bottom).

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to rustypixel
said by rustypixel:

The interesting thing that I found out is that those that have installed with the door hinge to the left (opening towards the wall) want to change it. It seems that the biggest complaint I've heard about that set up is that they have had to replace glass already due to the wind smashing the door against the wall and shattering the glass.

That was totally unexpected. And a good reason for them to switch. In the end do what you think is more practical. Disregard all our replies.