In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Virtual Client / Server Question

Hey BBR,

Guys I know this isn't the right place for this post but I wasn't sure if there was any other place to post this. Since I know this is the wrong place, and there isn't a better place to move this questions would someone be kind enough to advise me where I can ask such a question or if maybe someone could take a stab at helping me find an answer?

I am looking to find out if there is some sort of program(s) that would allow for a cross platform virtual server / client (remote desktop) that would allow me to use both my Android and or my Windows 8 devices as both the client and server. Meaning that I could use my Windows 8 laptop as the Remote Desktop client to control my Android, and then switch them up and use and Android client to control me Windows 8 laptop. I would prefer to have just one app that can go both ways as apposed to having to use two different application solutions. I imagine that there is probably an easier way to do what I am trying to do and I may be looking at this with two complicated of a vision. Perhaps I could use something like VMware, installing both client and server on both the devices and just switch them up depending on which one want to control at the time.

Again, I am sure this is the wrong place to ask this, but I wasn't sure were else to ask especially especially because the knowledge of the people here and the helpfulness of everyone here is second to none and I have never been let down asking a question here at BBR. Any ideas you guys may have would be most appreciated.

Thanks all!!

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven

Mod

Moved from Hardware - as you're seeking software....

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Wow this may be a first, no relies to my question... I am hoping that someone can come up with some good ideas for a solution for me. Just so you guys don't think I didn't do any homework on this, but I did do some Google searches on this, but I couldn't come up with any correct grouping of keywords that would bring me any closer to finding a solution on my own.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

I think the issue is that there isn't a one solution for the platforms you've selected. I had thought that splashtop might be the way to go but it doesn't appear that they have a server version for android, just OS X, Linux, and Windows.

You might have better luck asking in the »Google forum maybe?

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, and I did consider posting in one of the many Android forums but sadly, unlike BBR, I find most of the Droid forums to be full of a lot of younger people with a lot of immaturity and the ones that are not tend to be very stuffy and hard to get answers as people tend to act like your questions are beneath them. Rather then people taking their time to help you even when written as I have here really asking for help because I wasn't able to find the right Boolean search terms, you get responses like, RTFM or dude learn how to use a search engine, ect. I figured I would save myself some time and frustration by asking here first in hopes someone might have had the same or similar question, or someone might as you be helpful enough to look into a solution that they think might have what I'm looking for. I will leave this question here to stew in people minds for a bit longer and if I am hit by desperation, I will hit once of the Droid forums I tend to have better luck it, though I am sure someone will still find the need to flame me for the question! lol ) Thanks darcilicious See Profile for the reply, much appreciated!

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
teamviewer available at play store and online (google it). I use it sometimes. It's good for file sharing and remote control, free for non commercial use.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Excellent, cool PeeWee See Profile! I will definitely check out TeamViewer, this sounds exactly like what I am looking for... I will go read about it and let you guys know if it is the solution I was looking for! I knew BBR would never let me down! I thank you all very much!
Expand your moderator at work

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to PeeWee

Premium Member

to PeeWee

Re: Virtual Client / Server Question

said by PeeWee:

teamviewer available at play store and online (google it).

Unless I've overlooked something, TeamViewer (like Splashtop) doesn't seem to have a *server* for any Android OS. Almost every remote access software seems to have a *client* for Android (in addition to all the other usual suspects) but the server piece seems to be what's lacking.
darcilicious

darcilicious to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
said by rescue85:

said by darcilicious:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, and I did consider posting in one of the many Android forums but sadly, unlike BBR, I find most of the Droid forums to be full of a lot of younger people with a lot of immaturity and the ones that are not tend to be very stuffy and hard to get answers as people tend to act like your questions are beneath them.

The forum I references/linked to is the Android forum here on BBR Or does that one also suffer the same issues you've mentioned?

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

The forum I references/linked to is the Android forum here on BBR Or does that one also suffer the same issues you've mentioned?

Ahhhhhhh oh, no IDK about that, I miss understood, I thought you were referring to the independent Droid forums, amongst my missing even this forum when I asked my question I don't recall ever seeing that there was a Droid forum here in BBR! So no my comments do not include the forum here especially since I had no clue there was here! I haven't been using BBR regularly as of late so I am not very up on the forums anymore..

As for you last post, thankfully I had not had chance to check on a TeamViewer server for Droid, but yes that would be a problem, no server, no go for a solution. So it sounds like I am back to square one though I have an idea. I will go search the Google Play Store and see if I can find Remote Desktop Servers for the Droid, then check back to see if they offer a server solution for windows as well as a remote client for Android. This would insure the bidirectionalness of the remote desktop that I am looking for. Again, much appreciated!

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

1 edit

PeeWee to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by PeeWee:

teamviewer available at play store and online (google it).

Unless I've overlooked something, TeamViewer (like Splashtop) doesn't seem to have a *server* for any Android OS. Almost every remote access software seems to have a *client* for Android (in addition to all the other usual suspects) but the server piece seems to be what's lacking.

You have. It works via play store app. It works just as well as computer to computer. Remote control and client. I have been using it.

edit- I should mention that it works for me with my rooted android phone and Window 7 computer, I don't know about Windows 8.
PeeWee

PeeWee to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
There is also Airdroid, it works differently. I like airdroid best for file sharing over wifi at home.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to PeeWee

Premium Member

to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

edit- I should mention that it works for me with my rooted android phone and Window 7 computer, I don't know about Windows 8.

I'm definitely missing something then. Why would you have to root your phone to make Teamviewer work the way the OP wants it to? That seems to imply that Teamviewer doesn't support a server on Android after all...

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

said by PeeWee:

I'm definitely missing something then. Why would you have to root your phone to make Teamviewer work the way the OP wants it to? That seems to imply that Teamviewer doesn't support a server on Android after all...

I was only qualifying my use and experience. I thought that was obvious.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Sorry, my bad -- I read that as you HAD to root your phone -- oops!