spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clickity

@videotron.ca

Corvette part: For Vue666 (or anyone else)

I know Vue666 is into corvettes, and I think one or two others here.

Made a post over in the Auto-section of this forum. »Corvette 1977 (C3) Dimmer Switch Rod

Maybe you, or someone else, has a lead. Will try any lead you can come up with.

Tried the regular part dealers and nothing.

Tried some scrap yards in Quebec & Ontario who deal in vettes, and nothing (except for one guy who sold his lot, but everything is in containers till Aug).

Just can't find this thing.

Any tips or leads appreciated. TY in advance.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
I suspect any mid 70s-----90s tilt telescope model would work. Try a monte carlo from 75---77.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
Apparently not. Made that mistake already.

It's a one off and specific from what GM told me.

If I could find a whole steering column between Toronto and Quebec city (~200$ seems to be the going price), i would take that. But I can't find one. And shipping that from the states doubles the price practically.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
kudos:1
said by Clickity :

Apparently not. Made that mistake already.

It's a one off and specific from what GM told me.

If I could find a whole steering column between Toronto and Quebec city (~200$ seems to be the going price), i would take that. But I can't find one. And shipping that from the states doubles the price practically.

What if you ship it to a border town and pick it up there (assuming you are close to a border town)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Clickity

@videotron.ca
Yeah, guess I could do that. Wife does want to spend a day shopping down there for some reason.

Guess I'm on the hunt now for a 77 steering column (complete) too!

Feel free to drop leads for me to call.

But..um, where would I tell them to drop it off at in one of the border towns?

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
Find somewhere that either specializes in package holding for Canadians, or that is known to be friendly towards doing so. You might check out a UPS store near you, as the one in Ogdensburg NY does a very brisk business in being a mailing address for packages that people in Ottawa go down to pick up.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
I read your post in the other thread and I am surprised Corvette Central did not have the part in question.... I get most of the parts or my C1 from them...

I often post on the Corvette Forum which has subforms devoted to C/C2, C3, C4, C6... And within each there is a section asking for parts...

Corvette Forum
»forums.corvetteforum.com/

C3 Subfoum...
»forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-corv···-1982-5/

C3 Parts Wanted
»forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-part···nted-57/

C3 Parts Fore Sale
»forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-for···nted-56/

There there is the similar Corvette Action Center which as subforms laid out much like the Corvette Foum

»www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums

The Corvette Forum has more traffic then the Action Center...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
ZIP Corvette Parts
»www.zip-corvette.com/

Paragon Corvette
»www.paragoncorvette.com/

Ecklers
»www.ecklerscorvette.com/

But if Covette Central doesn't have the part it is unlikely any of the above will... I've purchased from all of them but find Corvette Central to be the best...

There is also the Corvette Depot in Canada.
»www.corvettedepot.ca/

Supposed to specialize in C2 & C3 Vettes...
»www.riksvet.com/

I've also purchased a few parts for my Corvette over the counter at local GM dealerships. Granted the part had to be shipped in from somewhere in North America but it's worth a try...

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666
Yup, have a post in Corvette forums (the C3 section). Nothing.

Haven't tried corvetteactioncenter.com

In your second post, nope, none of those have it.

Looked at riksvet yesterday. They don't list it, but it's on my list of places to call today (along with a dozen other places who say they deal in N.O.S. parts, and vette scrap yards).

Can't buy this part via GM dealers. It's discontinued. No longer manufactured, not even replicated.

Only one guy seems to have had these, I believe it's called corvettesteering.com, but the Email I got back said the guy (Tom) died. Not sure where his inventory ended up.

I'll try calling a dozen places around 1:30-2:00, see what I end up with.

I spotted an entire steering column for a T&T 77 for $200. I should have picked it up last year. Everything I'm seeing online shows them starting at ~$450 now (US) :~(

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
I used to have a Corvette-Chevy-GM parts cross listing reference for C1 Corvettes... The part for a Corvette, BelAir or Olds could be the same part and interchangeable yet have different parts numbers and sometimes differing prices....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
Is this what you'e looking for?

»forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech···tch.html

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

1 edit
reply to Clickity
Is this what you're looking for? Not familiar with Vette Products of Michigan...

»www.parts123.com/0000082a/18080/···8080.htm

They are selling it for $16 and it appears to be he same part for 1977 to 1982...

A bloke posted a similar request on digital covettes website...
and some one recommended this Corvette wrecking yard in Bristol, Pensylvania....

»www.contemporarycorvette.com/

Another poster said the part is - " T&T dimmer switch rod is GM part number 7828892 Dimmer Switch Rod Assembly"

The threat at digital corvettes is here....
»www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/···535.html

Clickity

@videotron.ca
It's very hard to tell from those old scans.

The actuator is a 10$ piece of black plastic. The Rod connecting to the actuator is as shown in the pictures I uploaded in the other topic.

Diagrams I have here just show this part as a tiny black line of ink. Zero details to it. Zero dimensions (or I would have it fabricated).

From what I was told, this rod is specific to the 77 T&T only. The link(s) you gave seem to say it isn't. (or the guy writing the post seems to say it isn't).

From what I understand there were two types of columns, standard column W/O Tilt and Telescopic, and there was the Tilt and Telescopic (T&T) column.

To my understanding the 77-T&T took a different rod. I would have to call parts123 and confirm their part number to the GM part number. But their site sure as hells says they have it. But show no picture. Wonder if they just mean the Actuator?? Everyone sells the actuator. I bought that from Corvette central (~7$).

Something seems off.... or all the info I got is off.

I'll call.

TY Vue, will let you know what they say.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

A bloke posted a similar request on digital covettes website...
and some one recommended this Corvette wrecking yard in Bristol, Pensylvania....

»www.contemporarycorvette.com/

Another poster said the part is - " T&T dimmer switch rod is GM part number 7828892 Dimmer Switch Rod Assembly"

The threat at digital corvettes is here....
»www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/···535.html

Will follow up on this lead. TY Again.

Yeah the 7828892 P/N is the original P/N. There were two other revisions. I don't care which I get.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666
Called Vette Products of Michigan (via parts123), they don't know. They have no clue about GM P/N's (scarey). So I described what I need, and what their add says, and what I "thought" I knew about the differences in years and the part.

Again they didn't know (this was their parts guy I passed on to). He took my name/number and is going to have to check it all out. Said he would call me back.

On to the others now...

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666
They won't part with the part unless I buy a whole column from them for... 850$.

And yeah quadrupole confirmation: Dimmer Switch Rod is 1977 T&T production year only.

Have 8 other places that I have to wait for to call me back.

Need New Old Stock (N.O.S) Like Duntov-Motors stated. So I'm hitting every place that does NOS parts.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to Clickity
Their ad is wrong (ie. parts123). Got a call back. They say it's only a piece of plastic they have called an actuator.

They pulled out their manuals and say they can't even find the 3 GM part numbers I gave them, and said it doesn't exist.

But they tried. Might be a good place to try next time for some odd one-off part. They were decent people. I would use them in the future if needed to.

In regards to this being for multi-years. Just off of the phone with corvettepartsworldwide.com, they confirmed it was 1977 only. They are looking around for a scrapped column to pull the part from. They want 800$ for a whole column (yikes!).

They said the diagrams show the column for multi-years, but that part is specific to 77.

Back to the phone again. After today or tomorrow I think I'll just give up.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Clickity
here is an option if you don't score the exact part.
this rod is made up of two parts, a formed wire rod and a molded plastic actuator. is it possible the plastic part is common to other models of switch rod which may be available for purchase. then buy one of those, remove the actuator and assemble it to your rod.

»www.gmpartswiki.com/

Clickity

@videotron.ca
said by koira:

here is an option if you don't score the exact part.
this rod is made up of two parts, a formed wire rod and a molded plastic actuator. is it possible the plastic part is common to other models of switch rod which may be available for purchase. then buy one of those, remove the actuator and assemble it to your rod.

Nah it's all one part (the plastic doesn't move at all). This Rod (the entire thing w/ plastic) fits into a plastic actuator, and that in turn fits into like a cam type thing (to toggle hi-low beams). I think this 3rd item might be called the dimmer switch rod pivot. Not 100% sure.

The whole thing is bought/sold as one unit. The plastic part does not come off. The actuator is a diff part. And I believe this plastic part, from what I was told, is specific to this make/model/year. The angles on it were made specific.

I was told the plastic part is broken, but I have nothing to compare it to. Can't find any tech drawing or working part to compare it to. If I had a tech drawing w/ all dimensions I could get it replicated.

Andyb found a part that looks exactly like it in the other Auto-topic going (the correct description and look of the part), but it shows a diff P/N on the bag. I may just try to buy this thing anyhow. Only ~20$ *shrug*

If/when I get this part, trust me, it's going to be copied by a friend of mine who does Aluminum replica's. I'll get the whole thing done in aluminum since this part appears to be one of those rare vette parts. And it's only getting rarer. As is, people want to sell entire columns now for ~1000$ just to get the 15$ part :/

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
So the plastic is molded to the rod.
Too bad it's unique to 1977 year, as Rifleman mentioned these sort of parts are often common "children" within other "parents". Maybe more so today.
Obviously you can't find the bit that broke off eh, maybe inside the column or else its long gone up a vacuum cleaner hose.
I will continue to mull this over, best of luck.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
Yup, molded to the rod. Nope, no small piece of anything floating around.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
I wonder if it is possible one of the custom steering column sellers like Flaming River or Ididit...would sell a part that would work... or worst case scenario swap out the old column for a new one by Flaming River or Ididit....

»www.flamingriver.com/

»www.ididitinc.com/

Clickity

@videotron.ca
Thanks will check into this tomorrow. After a dozen calls today, nothing. Or i'm waiting for them to call me back, or waiting on people who happen to come across a scrapped column.

The lead Andyb has on Ebay... I was going to contact the guy have it shipped to a UPS hold-place in NY like what Kardinal stated I could do (up above). The guy refuses to ship out of the states for whatever reason.

Wife just told me, "I told you last month we need to redo our passports, they expired. Don't you ever listen?".

I am now banging my head on a wall.

I need to find an American to act as a go-between and then ship that off to me. Not sure if it's the right part, but the description is right. And sure looks right. Willing to take a loss if it isn't.

*sigh*

Clickity

@videotron.ca
The Ebay part is not the right part (or right car). Got a hold of the guy selling it. So that takes care of that.

So to date:
Duntov Motors: Nope
Corvettepartswolrdwide: Nope
VettePartsMichigan: Nope
Just Corvettes: Waiting on them
ClimaxCorvette: Nope
CorvetteDepot: Waiting on them
DynamicCorvettes: Waiting on them
ContemporaryCorvette: Nope

Tomorrow:
Automotix
CorvetteMike
RiksVet
ParagonCorvette (Just in case).

If you can think of/find any other that deal in New Old Stock (NOS), feel free. Or some of the steering column people might have this as well, as Vue666 mentioned.

CorvetteSteering.com was where one person got this part, but as said above, the guy died.

Clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I wonder if it is possible one of the custom steering column sellers like Flaming River or Ididit...would sell a part that would work...

I hit those today. Thanks for the Idea Vue. No luck so far but one guy called me and said he had boxes and boxes of these old things that he has to rummage through, and if he can't find the exact part then he's pretty sure he can make it.
*cross fingers*

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I suspect if anyone can fabricate a part like that it would be Flaming River or Ididit....

My fingers are crossed as well for you... and as they say on the Corvette Forum "Save the wave"...LOL Fellow Vetters, Rodders and classic car fiends will know what is meant by that saying...

Clickity

@videotron.ca
lol Save The Wave!

Days of looking, hours upon hours of finding places, calling, Emailing, writing, and only one "potential maybe" from a custom steering column place. ...sigh.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Clickity
No luck yet? Any thoughts on converting to a floor dimmer switch as suggested upthread?

Clickity

@videotron.ca
Got another "potential maybe" from a vette restoration shop. along with 6 other rejections. I feel like a jilted lover.

So that is two potential maybe's now.

Another steering column place has a completed column, but was willing to take it out of the column to check his stock. He asked if I minded paying 50$ if he does have it. I said hell no. I'd take it. Beats the 950$ everyone else is asking for a rebuilt column just to get that one 15$ part.

So since this guy is willing to put in some work to find it, figured I'd hold off till Monday before I continue the search. I have one more lead to try which I'll do Monday, along with a bunch of other steering column places.

So, waiting now till Monday for some news or I'll continue the search.

Yeah, thought about doing the mod. Have everything to do it, but will wait it out till fall before I do that. Prefer to keep it original... You know how it is... Just won't feel right.

clickity

@videotron.ca
reply to Clickity
said by Clickity :

Yup, molded to the rod. Nope, no small piece of anything floating around.

Correction:
The plastic part does come off.

Worked it off last night. Guess it was gummed on there pretty good after ~36 years.

The metal rod is keyed, has a tab (can barely see it due to my crappy cam that is giving out). plastic part fits on only one way.

Had a call this morning, a guy has the rod but no plastic part. The plastic part is what is apparently broken.