share rss forum feed

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Malware] Cable Modem Keeps Resetting

I'm not sure what I caught but starting about a week or so ago I noticed my cable modem would reset every few moments.

I setup a visit with Comcast but cancelled at the last minute.

I determined it was only happening when a certain PC was using the internet.

I disabled a few things to no avail.

I decided to restore a ghost image from a couple of months earlier and it seems to have cured it.

Has anyone ever heard of a virus or malware causing a cable modem to reset intermittently?

I use Windows 7 64Bit, Palemoon with NoScript, AdBlock PLus etc...

Thanks,

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

said by workablob:

Has anyone ever heard of a virus or malware causing a cable modem to reset intermittently?

No, but I have seen cablemodem/router combos that can't deal with too many connections. If the machine is infected with some sort of p2p based system it might be spawning more connections than the cablemodem/router can deal with.

What make and model is the cablemodem/router?

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by dib22:

said by workablob:

No, but I have seen cablemodem/router combos that can't deal with too many connections. If the machine is infected with some sort of p2p based system it might be spawning more connections than the cablemodem/router can deal with.

What make and model is the cablemodem/router?

Cable Modem is an RCA Branded Thomsen. No specific model shows up at 192.168.100.1.

Router is a SonicWall SOHO3 with unlimited IPs allowed.

But, at a client I did witness a virus outbreak that would overload the Soho 3 there and kill internet until it was rebooted.

That's a likely cause.

Thanks for that.

Dave
--

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to workablob

workablob, i have a plain, ordinary cable modem (my ISP is "roadrunner" ) and its settings are automatically restored to the "default" settings when the modem is rebooted..

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to workablob

Can you isolate that certain PC that its not a flapping or failing NIC card/jack?

I've replaced an access point and switch/hub because the AP had a wire get crushed (owner moved furniture against it) and that caused the AP to slowly fail, and short a port on the switch.

Also, weather events can hurt electronics so if there were any storms... any chance to easily swap in a known good modem?
--
Splat

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

All is well since I restored my last ghost image. As much as I pride myself on staying clean I must have caught a nasty that was flooding my connection.

No problems since.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Dave
--

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Can you isolate that certain PC that its not a flapping or failing NIC card/jack?

I've replaced an access point and switch/hub because the AP had a wire get crushed (owner moved furniture against it) and that caused the AP to slowly fail, and short a port on the switch.

Also, weather events can hurt electronics so if there were any storms... any chance to easily swap in a known good modem?

This was my first idea that almost worked.

I had my PC plugged into a 10/100 switch but the 100MB light on that port never came on. I moved the PC to another port and thought for a moment that was the culprit, but it came back.

The ghost image restore is the quick fix.

Dave
--