uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to Raphion

Re: The roots of the problem

I use a diamond blade on my demo saw for clay flue liners and tile. It looks like the original installer laid the tile backwards; usually the bell end is on the upstream side.
--
Zach

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
House is to the left, flow is going right. So the bell is on the upstream side of the tile.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Zach1
I think the diamond blade is the best idea. Just looked and Lowes has an 8" one for a reciprocating saw for about $13. I'm going to pick one up just to have in my tool box.

Raphion

Samsara
Cutting just upstream of the bell with a diamond blade is beginning to sound like a winner. I'll source one out tomorrow, and hopefully get this fixed very soon, since I now have a very big, deep hole in my backyard. haha

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Dig it out deep enough that the blade is not in the soil. You don't want to take any chances on hitting something and the saw bouncing. That could be enough to break a tile.

Raphion

Samsara
Yeh, I will dig it out more, I didn't just yet, because I didn't want to unbed the pipe just yet, since being cracked through, it might completely give way, then I would be out two bathrooms and one kitchen till this is finished.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to Raphion
said by Raphion:

House is to the left, flow is going right. So the bell is on the upstream side of the tile.

Then you have a bigger problem because S__t doesn't flow uphill!

Raphion

Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Msradell:

said by Raphion:

Then you have a bigger problem because S__t doesn't flow uphill!

Must just be a trick of how you're seeing the picture, because it's definitely down-sloped. In the pic, it is running diagonally away from me, from the lower left, to the upper right. The high PVC you see is the washout, coming vertically to the surface.