uniqs
share rss forum feed

Scott
Premium
join:2002-09-30
Indianapolis, IN

1 recommendation

Well, (amazingly) deciding to switch

Yep, I was one of those guys that said never. No thanks. I was never going to get a Mac. It's just not for me.

Well, after careful examination for a couple months, I think I am. A little background -- I'm in the sports broadcasting/journalism industry and the majority of folks have Macs. I'm primarily writing, but also doing video interviews and short pkgs, as well as podcasts.

Plus, I already have both an iPhone and iPad.

I think I'm set on the MacBook Pro w/ Retina 13"...

My question, is it worth upgrading the 2.6GHz to 3.0 (and i7), or not that big of difference? Also, despite additional size and weight, should I instead be considering the 15"? I'm always lugging it back and forth to practice/games and traveling.

Thanks for the advice.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It sounds like you can probably get by with the i5. However, if I were you since you say you do video interviews, the i7 2.4 has the NVidia GeForce graphics. If you are doing video, I would go with that along with the Quad Core specs. It's a machine that will las you a long time. I also like the fact that it is 15 inch. My wife has an older white Macbook that was 13 inches and my sister has a 13 inch Air and they just seem small compared to my older Macbook Pro 15 inch screen.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Scott

I have a number of different tablets the largest of which is a Core i5 based 12.1" Asus. Other then a tablet I wouldn't want to go smaller then that so a 13" MBP or MBA isn't something I would want personally.

My Wife has 15" MBP and that really is the smallest I would want to go for a laptop.

I think it really is up to whether you feel stout enough to lug around a larger heaver product.

Scott
Premium
join:2002-09-30
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Scott

I think I'm set on the 13"...just debating now whether there's a considerable difference with the 2.6GHz and 3.0

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Scott

i5 and i7 mean nothing.

It's all about the solid state drive.

Black_Mage
My backup spell is Warp
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
reply to Scott

I believe Windows 8 is going to make a lot of people consider going Mac.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa

join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Scott

Scott, you'll really enjoy the MBP13r...I recently bought one to replace my 4 1/2 year old work "brick" that I was tired of carrying around and I just love it. Prior to buying my iMac a couple years ago, I, like you, was one of those folks who said "never". Well, at this point the "never" has shifted toward buying a "Windows" PC. (I do run Win7 on my Macs under Parallels, but only to support certain required things that I have to have for work and for Quicken on my desktop machine) I chose the MBP13r because it only weighs a half-pound more than the 13" MBA and is a bit more capable. I use a larger screen in my home office for convenience.

I think the advice about the I7 and the video upgrade might be good to consider if you're planing on spending a lot of time doing those video interview and shorts. And do get a larger SSD.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by buckingham:

(I do run Win7 on my Macs under Parallels, but only to support certain required things that I have to have for work and for Quicken on my desktop machine)

I finally switched to Quicken Essentials for Mac over a year ago and haven't looked back. If you're interested in converting, I posted a blog on how to do it. Intuit has the info buried deep on their site and next to impossible to find the conversion app.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Scott

Scott, if you need any help drop me a PM, I do this stuff for a living in Indianapolis. I would be happy to help you out.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

I believe Windows 8 is going to make a lot of people consider going Mac.

It's actually not that bad at all and it's easy to break out of the "Metro" nonsense (though if you happen to have a touch device, that works very well). The actual OS is pretty fast and stable. I have it in a Parallels VM, though most of my Windows software is running in a Windows 7 VM.

Now if I could just get my iMac to behave with SMB networking, I'd wouldn't have this "regret" for moving last summer. $&$?(*&/*&$
--
Start Communications Forum

buckingham
Buckingham Pa

join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by MichelR:

It's actually not that bad at all and it's easy to break out of the "Metro" nonsense (though if you happen to have a touch device, that works very well). The actual OS is pretty fast and stable. I have it in a Parallels VM, though most of my Windows software is running in a Windows 7 VM.

While I agree that there are ways to make Win8 more usable by normal humans...a large percentage of folks who buy computers are not very savvy about doctoring things and too many of them buy for price and don't end up with a touch screen for which Win8 is optimized for. That's where the struggle comes. Win7 is still more friendly for the masses right now...Win8 will have a better go when touch interfaces become more ubiquitous.

I also use Win7 under Parallels in Coherence mode. "Mac look" on my personal machine but "Win look" on my work machine because of an issue with (Windows) PowerPoint display in that mode that is yet to be fixed by Parallels.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

i5 and i7 mean nothing.

It's all about the solid state drive.

SSD for sure. The 2.6 is probably fine for normal humans, but he said he's going to be doing video stuff. That means he should also get the i7.

Macs hold up well, you can expect to use it longer than you would a cheap Dell laptop. So I've found its worth going for the higher specs. My CoreDuo 15" MBP from 2006 still works great.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

said by djrobx:

My CoreDuo 15" MBP from 2006 still works great.

Same here, although I upgraded to SSD and it made a huge difference in responsiveness with booting and opening apps.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to buckingham

said by buckingham:

said by MichelR:

While I agree that there are ways to make Win8 more usable by normal humans...a large percentage of folks who buy computers are not very savvy about doctoring things and too many of them buy for price and don't end up with a touch screen for which Win8 is optimized for. That's where the struggle comes. Win7 is still more friendly for the masses right now...Win8 will have a better go when touch interfaces become more ubiquitous.

I also use Win7 under Parallels in Coherence mode. "Mac look" on my personal machine but "Win look" on my work machine because of an issue with (Windows) PowerPoint display in that mode that is yet to be fixed by Parallels.

I agree - most people don't know they can do it, let alone how. A friend of mine was looking for someone yesterday to downgrade her new Win 8 laptop to Win 7. She didn't want to fiddle with it - she can do amazing things in PhotoShop, but doesn't care much about learning the OS stuff, and that's most likely the case for the majority of users.

I also run the "Mac look" here because I have a couple of programs that kind of misbehave if I configure Parallels to use the full-blown Windows 7 look. Also Windows uses less juice in that mode, so that helps if you're running a lot of stuff on your machine like I do.
--
Start Communications Forum

Jimothy

@mycingular.net
reply to rolande

said by rolande:

said by buckingham:

(I do run Win7 on my Macs under Parallels, but only to support certain required things that I have to have for work and for Quicken on my desktop machine)

I finally switched to Quicken Essentials for Mac over a year ago and haven't looked back. If you're interested in converting, I posted a blog on how to do it. Intuit has the info buried deep on their site and next to impossible to find the conversion app.

quicken essentials is worthless if you have investment accounts

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Jimothy :

quicken essentials is worthless if you have investment accounts

It depends on what you need to manage with them. I was actually happy to no longer have to manage all of the individual transaction data and just use it as a performance measurement tool.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/