how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rpeters83

join:2009-05-09
Halethorpe, MD

SMTP/DNS issues after domain renewal

I recently renewed a domain that expired 3 days ago (marriedgeek.com). I host my own email, and have been just fine ever since I had fios, but I'm running into issues sending email from my email server (which authenticates through outgoing.verizon.net). I can receive from most of my other email accounts (gmail, outlook.com, etc), and other email accounts I host have no issue at all, but cannot send from my one marriedgeek.com. I get this error when attempting to send an email to any other outside address through outgoing.verizon.net:

RECEIVED: 450 4.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed

All DNS checks seem OK, as I'm using the correct nameservers (afraid.org) and nothing else has changed since before.

I understand there will be some hiccup with a domain renewal, but I'm not used to it taking this long. I renewed the domain this morning. It almost seems as if verizon's DNS, and some others, is not finding my IP.

One oddity is that I can receive email from my gmail.com account and my live.com account, but not from outlook.com. No idea why.

I'm not sure exactly where to start looking, as everything seems to be correct. Could someone provide some guidance? Thanks.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

If you renewed the domain after it expired, don't expect good results for the next several days. TLDs can take up to 48 hrs or more to propagate.

SMTP and other email-related services use reverse lookup as a form of "security", so double-check the reverse resolution of your mail server(s).

rpeters83

Halethorpe, MD
I guess I'm not used to it taking this long. Is it odd that only a couple systems are still slow to update?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to rpeters83
how has it been since your last post?

rpeters83

Halethorpe, MD
All has been resolved. It took the full 2 days. Thank you.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Thanks for the follow up - I was wondering same.

Hopefully the lesson here is: renew your domains before they expire next time.