how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zigner

join:2003-09-15
Danbury, CT

HD DTA's coming "soon"

My installer here in Connecticut told me he had HD DTA's on his truck and that they were told they could not install them yet, but that they would be rolling out "soon". I asked if that was in weeks or months, but he didn't have any idea, nor did he have any info about the monthly fee compared to the SD DTAs.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by zigner:

My installer here in Connecticut told me he had HD DTA's on his truck and that they were told they could not install them yet, but that they would be rolling out "soon". I asked if that was in weeks or months, but he didn't have any idea, nor did he have any info about the monthly fee compared to the SD DTAs.

Are you perhaps lost?
»Comcast Cable TV
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

CCGuest

@secureserver.net
reply to zigner

Are you in a Scientific Atlanta area? Because as far as I know, that's the only place they don't have a timeline to roll them out yet.

But for Moto areas, they've been rolled out in the Greater Boston Area and they're going to be out soon (within the next couple weeks I believe) in the Western New England region if they haven't been already.
They're the same 1.99 per outlet as the SD DTAs. They've got an HDMI output on the back of them.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Wow, pretty good deal if they're only $2/mo, that has the potential to seriously cannibalize their overpriced HD STBs. Thanks for the heads-up.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

However, from this recent thread about them on the Comcast Help and Support Forum »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1627885 it seems that Comcast may be making the HD-DTAs available to only their Limited Basic subscribers right now (at least in some areas anyway).

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

Came across this video for what it's worth.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRKTdqp···&index=3

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Looks like the HD-DTA model featured in that video is the Pace DC60Xu: »www.pace.com/americas/products/s···/dc60xu/ (Data sheet at »www.pace.com/Documents/Products/···60XU.pdf )

Apparently, an indicator for the manufacturer is contained at the end of the model number displayed on the lower-right corner of front panel: "HD-uDTA-X."

From also closely examining the pictures of models by Motorola »www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Vid···2011.pdf and Evolution Digital »www.evolutionbb.com/cable/Univer···495.html , it appears that "X" is "P" for Pace, "M" for Motorola and "E" for Evolution.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

That fits with how the X1 RDK equipment is being labeled too.
The current Pace X1 DVR has a designation of "XG1-P" somewhere on it's back or bottom (not sure where). XG1 is the class of RDK hardware and "P" is obviously for Pace.

raffoutroud

join:2010-03-31
Lynnwood, WA
reply to zigner

HD DTAs are already deployed in the Portland, OR market for the west coast. Full deployment doesn't have a timeline.

timtom

join:2012-11-15

In Denver deployment has been posponed until may 9

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

What I want to know is where I can get those cool Xfinity branded Velcro straps. (If anyone with Comcast marketing is listening, toss me some Xfinity branded stuff please)

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to zigner

I just talked with a Comcast tech working on a neighbors drop, and they do offer the HD DTA's in my area (Cape Cod). He said it's the same $1.99 month as the SD DTA box and as long as you already have an HD-enabled account you can get them.

He said that the HD DTA remote is similar to the regular box remotes, not the small one that is given out with SD DTA's, and most of the buttons don't do anything but that you can enable closed-captioning through the remote.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

mgmgmg

join:2002-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
reply to zigner

what channels do u get for $1.99?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to jack b

Click for full size
said by jack b:

He said that the HD DTA remote is similar to the regular box remotes, not the small one that is given out with SD DTA's, and most of the buttons don't do anything but that you can enable closed-captioning through the remote.

From that video on the HD-DTA that was provided a few posts back, they appear to be supplied with the new "XR2" RF remote [»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···-remote/ (which also states that)] that is used with the X1 box. As the HD-DTAs have limited features/capabilities, it makes sense that many of the buttons on it have no use with them.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

4 edits
reply to mgmgmg

said by mgmgmg:

what channels do u get for $1.99?

Unless things changed it would be the same as you would get with an SD DTA. Remember DTA are targeted to customers who don't have anything more than Expanded Basic (channels 0-99) and are transitioning in some way (analog to digital or clear digital to encrypted). Just now you'd get access to the HD versions of the same channels with an HD DTA.

It can be used by any digital cable subscriber for an extra TV, but it's still limited to the DTA tier of channels.
So if you subscribed to Digital Preferred, but you put a DTA on a TV it would be limited to channels up to Expanded Basic. If you want a higher level of service, you have to be get a full blown set-top box.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to zigner

said by zigner:

My installer here in Connecticut told me he had HD DTA's on his truck and that they were told they could not install them yet,.

Assumuing this is correct:

- I ordered an AnyRoom package ~2 month ago, had to wait 3+ weeks for the final satellite STB because the tech used the one assigned to me on a previous install (ie. no extra ones with him)

- yet supposedly here there's an inventory of new equipment on a field truck that not only isn't slated for a user, but wouldn't be installed even if you asked for it.

Seems ironic if you ask me.

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to SpHeRe31459

The HD DTAs are capable of getting all the channels a HD set top box can get except premium channels such as HBO and of course no VOD. From what I have read the HD DTAs will also have a guide showing what's on the channel you are watching.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

3 edits

said by PaulGo:

The HD DTAs are capable of getting all the channels a HD set top box can get except premium channels such as HBO and of course no VOD. From what I have read the HD DTAs will also have a guide showing what's on the channel you are watching.

Not so sure about that... the point of a DTA is to have a basic device, it doesn't support full strength encryption like full cable boxes do. It supports "privacy mode" a limited fixed passkey form of content protection, as such Comcast was only exposing basic channels in this mode. »Re: [DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs

I haven't seen any clear documentation from Comcast anywhere about HD-DTA capabilities and limitations, it refers to DTAs in general and then has a little note that a person can get an HD version if they'd like.

Yes the HD-DTAs have a basic 24-hours at-a-time guide courtesy of Comcast having a licensing agreement with Rovi. The guide functionality is somewhat similar to what the better ATSC adapters had when OTA transitioned in 2009. Ironically this limited function guide looks better than the full featured set-top boxes with i-Guide...
»www.rovicorp.com/products/discov···uide.htm

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by PaulGo:

Not so sure about that... the point of a DTA is to have a basic device, it doesn't support full strength encryption like full cable boxes do. It supports "privacy mode" a limited fixed passkey form of content protection, as such Comcast was only exposing basic channels in this mode. »Re: [DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs

I was also skeptical about that when PaulGo See Profile first said this back in a previous thread »Re: [DTA] What DTAs is Comcast acquiring that are brand new but then I later saw an item in a cable news round-up article on the LRC site back in October »www.lightreading.com/set-top-box···40135768) where it said:

It's understood that a new breed of HD-DTAs will include more flexible security mechanisms that will allow for the support of higher-level tiers, including premium cable TV services.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

1 edit

Aha, well then, it seems I stand corrected, I really would like Comcast to actually clarify that somewhere. As I said currently the concept of an HD-DTA is basically a footnote on their DTA info page.
Of course just because it can doesn't mean Comcast will...
Because really what separates an HD-DTA from a full blown HD cable box then? I mean aside from the obvious being VOD.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, like you said, just because the HD-DTAs may be capable of supporting higher-level tiers, that doesn't mean that they will be enabled to do so by Comcast.

GTFan

reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

Aha, well then, it seems I stand corrected, I really would like Comcast to actually clarify that somewhere. As I said currently the concept of an HD-DTA is basically a footnote on their DTA info page.
Because really what separates an HD-DTA from a full blown HD cable box then? I mean aside from the obvious being VOD.

Exactly - $1.99 vs. $9.95 for a full-blown HD STB and the only thing you get for the extra $8 is OnDemand? Somehow I can't see Comcast cutting their own profit by releasing an HD DTA that can do everything an STB can sans VOD. Lots of folks might opt to switch them out to save money if they do.

CAST 665

@comcastbusiness.net

said by GTFan:

said by SpHeRe31459:

Exactly - $1.99 vs. $9.95 for a full-blown HD STB and the only thing you get for the extra $8 is OnDemand? Somehow I can't see Comcast cutting their own profit by releasing an HD DTA that can do everything an STB can sans VOD. Lots of folks might opt to switch them out to save money if they do.

Full HD boxes on limited are like $1.50 each

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by CAST 665 :

Full HD boxes on limited are like $1.50 each

$2.50 actually...

BTW, not only are DTA's on limited basic only .50, they STILL give limited subs the first 3 FREE - while expanded basic & above subs now get NONE for FREE.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

said by dishrich:

BTW, not only are DTA's on limited basic only .50, they STILL give limited subs the first 3 FREE - while expanded basic & above subs now get NONE for FREE.

Yeah, it may seem strange that the subscribers who pay Comcast the least for their service, get their DTAs for free and/or at a discounted rate.

However, I suspect this is due to the provisions of most franchise agreements (as seen in this recent thread: »Franchise agreement says no to OTA encryption! ) and/or by FCC requirements (»www.fcc.gov/guides/consumer-opti···hibition) for cable TV system operators to offer a low-cost, basic-service tier that carries all the local broadcast stations and the Public, Educational, and Governmental Access ("PEG") channels (»www.fcc.gov/guides/public-educat···channels).

EDIT: Also, the page on the FCC Guides area that addresses this: »www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

GTFan

Wow, just goes to show how much profit there is in the $10/mo. ripoff STB rentals for anyone not on limited basic. I have a feeling HD DTAs won't be $2/mo. for us.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to zigner

FYI - Time Warner Cable is now converting to an all-digital system in NYC, removing the remaining analog channels from their basic tier and supplying Cisco-made HD-DTAs to their subscribers:

Time Warner Cable deploys HD DTAs across New York City
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - April 30, 2013
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2013/04···ork-city

Edit: Found the TWC blog post about it: »www.twcableuntangled.com/2013/04···-region/

LadyBug4u2

join:2003-01-04
Punta Gorda, FL
reply to zigner

We just left our Comcast office and asked about the HD DTA's...hell she didn't even know what I was talking about. BS that we don't have it in the 33952 zipcode. By having these boxes our cable bill would drop by 30$ a month.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by LadyBug4u2:

We just left our Comcast office and asked about the HD DTA's...hell she didn't even know what I was talking about. BS that we don't have it in the 33952 zipcode. By having these boxes our cable bill would drop by 30$ a month.

I think you'll more likely find the HD-DTAs first in areas that have announced that their Limited Basic tier channels are going to be encrypted. See: »[Content] Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by PaulGo:

I haven't seen any clear documentation from Comcast anywhere about HD-DTA capabilities and limitations, it refers to DTAs in general and then has a little note that a person can get an HD version if they'd like.

Yes the HD-DTAs have a basic 24-hours at-a-time guide courtesy of Comcast having a licensing agreement with Rovi. The guide functionality is somewhat similar to what the better ATSC adapters had when OTA transitioned in 2009. Ironically this limited function guide looks better than the full featured set-top boxes with i-Guide...
»www.rovicorp.com/products/discov···uide.htm

the HD DTAs do support full blown encryption as I have verified on TWC which has deployed Technicolor HD DTAs in my area the channels that are encrypted on the DTAs and the Motorola boxes are full strength encryption as the diagnostic menu for the DCX motorola boes shows ENC for the channels available on the DTA instead of UNK which means privacy mode