Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hussle87
Premium
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

First pc. build need suggestions?

First off I want to start by saying i will be buying one or two parts at a time so that I can do research to make sure I get the part I want. I already have a case picked out and its the antec P280 case.
What parts should I look at next. also I want to make it pretty future proof like a quad core CPU.

»www.amazon.com/Antec-P280-Black-···tec+case

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

This has been discussed here a few times on buying part after part, and not all at once.

For technology, you are better just saving the money till you have enough to put a kit or OEM bundled package together.
By the time you put it all together, the technology may have changed creating parts in your kit obsolete if you do buy 1 part at a time.
I would only buy parts if:
1. You already know the build you want.
2. You will be building it.
3. You look only for the specials of specials to save on costs.

Out of curiosity, how long a period for this project are you expecting it to take?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to hussle87

Might want to give the good folks here an idea of what tasks you will be using it for and your price range.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

I am looking at 600- 700 dollars and to build it in 2-3 months time.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

That's not to big of a window to affect he ultimate package and hardware available.
So it boils down to what exactly do you want from this machine?
Gaming?
Work-desk/spreadsheet?
Video editing?
Internet browser?
Will a monitor need to be sourced?
Will an operating system need to be sourced?
Is there anything you have already you can re-use?

Reason being on the last 3 points it may make the difference between suggesting a full package from someone like Dell or HP, as parts will possibly exceed your costs, and starting with a P280 case isn't helping your cost flow for parts/requirements.

Might be best to list your needs and expectations, as you may find this project adds up to a little more than you expected.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

Occasionly I'll do some gaming but mostly streaming netflix and pandora and internet brosing and MS office stuff. No I will be reusing a monitor and can reuse a cd drive I have.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

What games when you do game?

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to hussle87

For value and technology an i3 or i5 will do, just a mid range cpu, I don't think you need to worry about playing with overclocks as it adds to the bill. However if you prefer AMD, you can look at that too.

I don't think in 2 to 3 months though, there is a list or order you need to go in, there will not be that much change in technology in that period for your needs if you want it up and running specifically then and you can't wait 6 - 12 mths for the next generation of cpu.
Specials is where you will find the order of parts will affect what you buy and when.

I point out though there is no reason to buy parts instead of saving and spending it all at once, because some of the $500 - 700 OEM machines are priced too well and better value to bother with part builds at home and finding you are short $200-300 because you still need an O/S and Office.

Basic i3 minimum, or i5 preferably, a $700 roof isn't really worth looking at an i7 for general uses, it is funds wasted better spent on a better power supply and such.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to hussle87

hussle, you probably want to spend plenty more time learning about parts and compatibilities before taking this on, because if you didn't realize that we need to know what tasks and what budget already, I am concerned you might not be ready to build yet.

No, building a system is not a dark art or alchemy, but there is just enough of those elements that learning enough to ask the right questions first is important.

Here are some things to learn, first, have some fun, do a google on them:

What is ripple current, and why does it matter with SMPS units (power supplys)?

What are chipsets, and which of the latest chipsets support features such as more PCI-Express bandwidth?

What is an acceptable warranty period for a (insert device here).

What are MOVs, and how does stress affect their service life?

What is an EPS connector?

What is a PEG connector?

What is m-ATX standard?

Is future proofing a reality or a myth?

Now:

600 bucks is scraping the bottom of the build barrel if your talking about getting all this:

Case
Mainboard
CPU
RAM
Video
Coolers/fans
SMPS
HDs/SSDs
Cables
I/O parts
ODs
and don't forget the operating system license!!!

That's all a LOT for 6 buckaroos.

Oh, so you have an OD, and it is SATA. That is 20 bucks saved, but that isn't much.

Start with a processor you know enough about to see it as acceptable.

Then choose a chipset.

Then narrow down to a few boards.

Then choose how graphics is done.

Then choose RAM.

Then choose PSU/SMPS.

Then choose HD/SSD and the rest.

Use the search function of this forum to answer most of your questions first, don't hestiate to ask us, but don't forget that search is also your friend.

I suggest upping your build budget if you can, to 800-1000 if you want something built to last.

Then what board features you want (IMPORTANT!!!)
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

Yeah I did some research and i can buy a computer with decent specs for around 700 so I might go that route.

»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···&CatId=6

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

I don't think in 2 to 3 months though, there is a list or order you need to go in, there will not be that much change in technology in that period for your needs if you want it up and running specifically then and you can't wait 6 - 12 mths for the next generation of cpu.
Specials is where you will find the order of parts will affect what you buy and when.

Actually, Intel Haswell, the successor to Intel Ivy Bridge should launch within about 3 months,.......

This should effect change to price and performance for the given coin somewhat.

So for the OP thinking of buying and or building in that timeframe I would suggest waiting and saving.

One problem buying parts over time is that one could always buy a defective part and not know it. If it takes months to find out you have a defective part you can no longer send the part back to the dealer and now have to deal with the manufacturer which will likely replace the part with a refurb rather the with something new,.......

***edit***

I'll also add that I have an Antec P180 case which I like very much. I would liken it to the Antec P280 in many ways. I bout it fairly cheaply from Frys, it was an incredable deal. Anyway, I wouldn't spend much on a case (probably not more the ~$60 USD) personally. I also have four Antec 300 cases which I like very much. If price is an issue I would suggest buying a cheaper case.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

not that it makes a big dent in the budget but I may be able to reuse a graphics card its worth atleast 90 bucks.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Rather than say "a" graphics card, please name it, so we can also know if it is actually worth that much.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

its a nvidia geforce 9600 series.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by hussle87:

its a nvidia geforce 9600 series.

Depending on which exact model you have, it's only marginally better than the integrated Intel HD 4000 series GPU found on most Intel CPUs nowadays. It won't be worth $90--probably closer to $30-40 if you were to try to get anything for it.

Something like this is $90 and easily 3-4 times as powerful.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to hussle87

said by hussle87:

Yeah I did some research and i can buy a computer with decent specs for around 700 so I might go that route.

»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···&CatId=6

Eh, I would wait. The CPU (Sandy Bridge) in that rig is about to become twice replaced as Haswell launches this summer.

It doesn't mean that it is bad/slow, but that it is already obsolete/replaced and will become unusable quicker than current tech.

Let us know when you are ready to pull the trigger, and we can work to find you the best deal, whether it is pre-packaged or DIY.

I've built rigs before at the $700 pricepoint, and they usually include an i3, 500GB-1TB HDD, 8GB ram, and a Radeon 7770/7750.

What you end up getting depends on when you buy it.

Ram is getting expensive, so if you find a good deal on 8GB ram (2x 4GB DDR3 1600mhz @ 1.5v dimms), grab them now.

Like Octavean said, the problem with buying gradually is that you might have a dead part and never know it until months later when you put everything together (and the RMA timeperiod has passed), so try to find a way to test everything you buy (in a friend's computer or some other compatible rig) if you aren't buying all at once.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.