norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to hussle87

Premium Member

to hussle87

Re: First pc. build need suggestions?

For value and technology an i3 or i5 will do, just a mid range cpu, I don't think you need to worry about playing with overclocks as it adds to the bill. However if you prefer AMD, you can look at that too.

I don't think in 2 to 3 months though, there is a list or order you need to go in, there will not be that much change in technology in that period for your needs if you want it up and running specifically then and you can't wait 6 - 12 mths for the next generation of cpu.
Specials is where you will find the order of parts will affect what you buy and when.

I point out though there is no reason to buy parts instead of saving and spending it all at once, because some of the $500 - 700 OEM machines are priced too well and better value to bother with part builds at home and finding you are short $200-300 because you still need an O/S and Office.

Basic i3 minimum, or i5 preferably, a $700 roof isn't really worth looking at an i7 for general uses, it is funds wasted better spent on a better power supply and such.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

said by norwegian:

I don't think in 2 to 3 months though, there is a list or order you need to go in, there will not be that much change in technology in that period for your needs if you want it up and running specifically then and you can't wait 6 - 12 mths for the next generation of cpu.
Specials is where you will find the order of parts will affect what you buy and when.

Actually, Intel Haswell, the successor to Intel Ivy Bridge should launch within about 3 months,.......

This should effect change to price and performance for the given coin somewhat.

So for the OP thinking of buying and or building in that timeframe I would suggest waiting and saving.

One problem buying parts over time is that one could always buy a defective part and not know it. If it takes months to find out you have a defective part you can no longer send the part back to the dealer and now have to deal with the manufacturer which will likely replace the part with a refurb rather the with something new,.......

***edit***

I'll also add that I have an Antec P180 case which I like very much. I would liken it to the Antec P280 in many ways. I bout it fairly cheaply from Frys, it was an incredable deal. Anyway, I wouldn't spend much on a case (probably not more the ~$60 USD) personally. I also have four Antec 300 cases which I like very much. If price is an issue I would suggest buying a cheaper case.