BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
grats!

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to SimplePanda
damn now I want mine even more!....which modem did you get? and what remote?

heyyahblah

join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to SimplePanda
No sleep for you!! Stay up all night on 50/10 connection yay !!

yea please, do tell. Which remote and which modem are you using.

Are you using your own router or you using the sagemcom modem+router.

I would really want to use my R56U ASUS with that profile. Will I be able to or no?
--
Larry, Larry Laugher .. hehe

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to SimplePanda
Are you running the Sagemcom in routed or bridge SimplePanda?

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TypeS:

Are you running the Sagemcom in routed or bridge SimplePanda?

Must be routed because it it speed limited in bridge.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to SimplePanda
Nice! Happy to see that you are up and running, those stats look great!
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TSI Jonathan:

Nice! Happy to see that you are up and running, those stats look great!

Mine was activated too.

Try »www.pingtest.net/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to SimplePanda
Mine just went through I'm at work so I can't run a speed test, but here are my linestats (I'm connected to a Stinger with a Cellpipe at the moment):

UpStream
Speed (Kbs): 11320
Relative Capacity Occupation (%): 72
Noise Margin (0 - 31 dB): 8
Signal Power (0 - 20 dBm): -22
Attenuation (0 - 60 dB): 6
Block Count: 1401
Attainable Sync Rate: 15640

DownStream
Speed (Kbs): 53944
Relative Capacity Occupation (%): 94
Noise Margin (0 - 31 dB): 8
Signal Power (0 - 20 dBm): 14
Attenuation (0 - 60 dB): 6
Block Count: 1381
Attainable Sync Rate: 57304

The RCO is a bit tight on the downstream at 94%, but at least there are a few megabits of headroom there. I'm curious to see what the linestats look like if I plug the sagemcom in, but that'll all have to wait until tonight.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I'm guessing this is pretty much the limit for the stingers, as they are only rated to 68mbps (12A Profile), and I'm sure there is some general crap factor that probably wouldnt make it work past 60 anyway...

You have much lower attenuation than me and your downstream is similar to mine...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to SimplePanda
Yep, although the attainable was 62 megs before the profile change. I'm doubtful Bell is going to push FTTN much higher than 50/10 anyhow, at least without bonding or vectoring. There comes a point where the cost of pushing DSLAMs even closer than 50 meg speeds required is counter-productive because the distances may be shorter even than GPON would require. So as long as I can get a stable 50 meg DSL speed, that's probably as good as anybody would get anyhow.

The only thing left is the 35 Mbps speed limit. If that gets fixed, we're golden.
--

s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to SimplePanda
Folks, how long did it take between your order and the profile becoming active?

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Yet i already have heard rumors of 75/10 fttn coming p:)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to SimplePanda
I had some help pushing it along, so I can't say what it would normally take. But the order was placed at roughly 2PM on the 21st, and the upgrade just took effect a few minutes ago, so normally it would probably be longer than that.
--

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to s0dhi
said by s0dhi:

Mine was activated on the day of installation.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Would be nice, but no luck for us on stingers...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
reply to SimplePanda
Mine always gets over 50 download but it is always under 10 upload.

s0dhi

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bjlockie
said by bjlockie:

said by s0dhi:

Oh okay. I'm not having a new install, I'm upgrading from 25/10 to 50/10.

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Does the Sagemcom go that high in router mode?

bjlockie

Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to s0dhi
said by s0dhi:

said by bjlockie:

said by s0dhi:

Oh okay. I'm not having a new install, I'm upgrading from 25/10 to 50/10.

TekSavvy will send you a confirmation email that will have the date it is active.
The time probably depends how busy Bell is.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to s0dhi
Few things:

- Yes, the 50/10 speed I posted are direct via the Sagemcom (not bridged). Bridged it varies a lot. Can be as high as 40Mbps and as low as 35Mbps. MTU tweaking doesn't make any difference.

- Performance is what it says. The SpeedTest to TekSavvy gives basically 50/10 solid and I'm seeing that out in the internet as well. I downloaded Bioshock Infinite (6.5GB) at 3am when it released (PS3 version) and it took about 20-25 minutes to download. I imagine there was a touch of congestion on the PSN servers or it would have been faster. Once Bioshock was downloaded I grabbed a few iTunes episodes I had queued up and they all came in pretty much saturating the 50Mbps link.

- I ordered on the 20th. The rep who took my order on the phone said I was the first person he had talked to about 50Mbps and that the prices had been online for 15 minutes. It was an upgrade from 25/10 and it went active at around 2:45am on the 26th. This was in-line with that the rep told me (5 business days).

I have my own Sagemcom (bought off eBay for $10) so my TSI 25/10 was "officially" via a 7330 flashed CellPipe. As such, Bell sent me a new Sagemcom and I received that on the 22nd. TSI never mentioned this would happen but given that the CellPipe's can't handle 50Mbps throughout even in router mode I assume Bell was looking to avoid the inevitable complaints that would result from giving 50Mbps service to customers with Bell mandated hardware that couldn't handle the throughput.

Yesterday (Monday) I received a return stick from Bell in the mail. It informs me that they are sad I am cancelling my Bell service (which I don't have) and instructs me on how to send my modem back (graphically, it shows a 2Wire ADSL modem). I'm assuming this is for returning my Cellpipe.

So far no issues and sync has been solid since the profile was flipped.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bjlockie
said by bjlockie:

said by morisato:

Does the Sagemcom go that high in router mode?

Yes. The Sagemcom is used via it's Ethernet WAN (red) port for FTTH and will do 175/175 if it's acting as the router. All of it's performance issues are in it's PPPoE passthrough, which gives me hope that a firmware upgrade will fix that as the router performance implies that it should be able to handle it.

cruisx

join:2009-10-25
reply to SimplePanda
quick question. I ordered start 2 x 50 for mlppp and i believe they use a sagemcom..Since i need to put it in bridge mode to mlppp are you guys suggesting that it wont be able to get close to 100mbps and will be more like 35 x 2 ( based on simplelanda's first sentence)

edit: i will be using pfsense.

s0dhi

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

I have my own Sagemcom (bought off eBay for $10) so my TSI 25/10 was "officially" via a 7330 flashed CellPipe. As such, Bell sent me a new Sagemcom and I received that on the 22nd. TSI never mentioned this would happen but given that the CellPipe's can't handle 50Mbps throughout even in router mode I assume Bell was looking to avoid the inevitable complaints that would result from giving 50Mbps service to customers with Bell mandated hardware that couldn't handle the throughput.

I'm on a 7330 as well but I am using a Zyxel (»www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_ser···es.shtml) running is bridged mode that I purchased during the Cellpipe firmware fiasco. I have a Cellpipe sitting collecting dust.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to cruisx
said by cruisx:

quick question. I ordered start 2 x 50 for mlppp and i believe they use a sagemcom..Since i need to put it in bridge mode to mlppp are you guys suggesting that it wont be able to get close to 100mbps and will be more like 35 x 2 ( based on simplelanda's first sentence)

edit: i will be using pfsense.

Yes, from all that we've seen you'd probably be stuck between 70-80 Mbps. If you're on 7330s, you could potentially use some third party modems like the Zyxel or Huawei to get full speed in bridged mode. If you're on stingers like me, you're stuck.
--

cruisx

join:2009-10-25
wait so what is router mode then? (Sorry never used dsl) Instead of mlppp can i just do a dual wan to max out the speeds?

I'm in Milton, what are stingers? like a street box?

Hmm i sure hope its not 70MBps...lol im not going to pay $50 more for a 10mbps increase from my current cable =p

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by cruisx:

wait so what is router mode then? (Sorry never used dsl) Instead of mlppp can i just do a dual wan to max out the speeds?

I'm in Milton, what are stingers? like a street box?

Hmm i sure hope its not 70MBps...lol im not going to pay $50 more for a 10mbps increase from my current cable =p

Atleast you would get 20mbps on upload.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Few things:

- Yes, the 50/10 speed I posted are direct via the Sagemcom (not bridged). Bridged it varies a lot. Can be as high as 40Mbps and as low as 35Mbps. MTU tweaking doesn't make any difference.

The only way to reach 40mbps with a Sagemcom when bridge... is when you put a bad user name or password in the PPPOE of the Sagemcom.

But at one point the Sagemcom puts back the user name and password of the Sagemcom and activates a PPPOE session in the Sagemcom again, which brings back the speed to around 35mbps.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to SimplePanda
The stinger is a kind of DSLAM, which is the box at the other end of your phone line (think of it like your ISP's modem that talks to your modem). There are two kinds of DSLAMs, the "stinger" and the "7330". Some people will say the "Lucent Stinger" and the "Alcatel 7330", but the name of the company is "Alcatel-Lucent", so the distinction in name is academic :P

Anyhow, the overview of the problem is that the stinger's support for VDSL2 (the type of DSL the 50 meg service uses) is flawed, preventing it from complying with the specification. As a result, only specially modified modems can work with it, and the only modems known to work with it are the Cellpipe and the Sagemcom, neither of which works at full speed in bridged mode (bridged mode is where you use an external router to connect through the modem, and the modem just "bridges" between your router and the ISP. The other method is "routed" mode where the modem also acts as the router).

The other kind of dslam, the 7330, doesn't have this problem, and it generally works with any standards-compliant VDSL2 modem. The Cellpipe and the Sagemcom have the same problems (about not working at full speed in bridged mode) on this DSLAM, but you can use other modems that don't have this issue.

If you're on a stinger, and you're forced to use the Sagemcom modems, you can set up both modems to act as routers, and then set up your own router to do load balancing (dual WAN). If you're on a 7330, you can get some other modems to do MLPPP at full speed.
--

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by Guspaz:

The stinger is a kind of DSLAM, which is the box at the other end of your phone line (think of it like your ISP's modem that talks to your modem). There are two kinds of DSLAMs, the "stinger" and the "7330". Some people will say the "Lucent Stinger" and the "Alcatel 7330", but the name of the company is "Alcatel-Lucent", so the distinction in name is academic :P

Anyhow, the overview of the problem is that the stinger's support for VDSL2 (the type of DSL the 50 meg service uses) is flawed, preventing it from complying with the specification. As a result, only specially modified modems can work with it, and the only modems known to work with it are the Cellpipe and the Sagemcom, neither of which works at full speed in bridged mode (bridged mode is where you use an external router to connect through the modem, and the modem just "bridges" between your router and the ISP. The other method is "routed" mode where the modem also acts as the router).

The other kind of dslam, the 7330, doesn't have this problem, and it generally works with any standards-compliant VDSL2 modem. The Cellpipe and the Sagemcom have the same problems (about not working at full speed in bridged mode) on this DSLAM, but you can use other modems that don't have this issue.

If you're on a stinger, and you're forced to use the Sagemcom modems, you can set up both modems to act as routers, and then set up your own router to do load balancing (dual WAN). If you're on a 7330, you can get some other modems to do MLPPP at full speed.

As an addition to this, CNOC last night filed a submission to the CRTC, asking the CRTC to force Bell to replace these faulty stingers or work with modem hardware companies to create modems which would work with both 7330 & stingers.

»CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

3rd attachment. If you care anyways.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP