Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia Launches

Yes, my Videotron prices are TV-only. I do not have any other services from Videotron, and so do not qualify for any bundle discounts. I also have not gotten any retention deals because I haven't seen any better options from other providers yet that I can threaten them with (although I suppose I could try the "I don't watch much, cut me a deal or I'm gone" thing).

I did once call in to try to argue against the CRTC fee when they added it. Called up, complained that this fee was NOT required and that I should not be charged for it (it's supposed to be included in their pricing). They offered to remove it for me for the first month, but only because they hadn't given me the legally required 30-days notice. So no luck there either.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
said by Guspaz:

Yes, my Videotron prices are TV-only. I do not have any other services from Videotron, and so do not qualify for any bundle discounts. I also have not gotten any retention deals because I haven't seen any better options from other providers yet that I can threaten them with (although I suppose I could try the "I don't watch much, cut me a deal or I'm gone" thing).

I did once call in to try to argue against the CRTC fee when they added it. Called up, complained that this fee was NOT required and that I should not be charged for it (it's supposed to be included in their pricing). They offered to remove it for me for the first month, but only because they hadn't given me the legally required 30-days notice. So no luck there either.

I just spoke with Videotron after I saw your post and they told me that the basic package is mandatory. That I cannot drop it and just go a la carte.....

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by rednekcowboy:

I just spoke with Videotron after I saw your post and they told me that the basic package is mandatory. That I cannot drop it and just go a la carte.....

Yes, the basic package for $20 is always required. For one thing, it contains all the mandatory carriage stuff. Onto that you can add something like the +30 a-la-carte option.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Not4QC

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Yeah Videotron is the hardest company that exists to even get a dollar knocked off. But I got that Fee knocked off with an additional penny as you will see below.

Didn't get a chance to look at my bill till just now, this is what I see:
Basic: 17.99 (not the 25,25$, so a ~7$ rebate)
Network fee: 2.99 (Some network fee that I had a fight about)
Rebate: -3.00 (No Network fee. see the extra penny? Woot!)
A la carte 30: 32.00 even (a 25-cent rebate or something).
a la carte 30 rebate: -10.90 (Another rebate)
Total: 39.08 + tx (almost half the price you pay)

So someone above stated it came to 1$ a channel. Actually, they get ~70-cents a channel out of me and still make a high profit.

If Vmedia came to Quebec with the same channel packages I would need to get the following to make everyone here happy (that is, the same channels they want):

Vmedia
Premium Basic: 39.95
Living package: 6.95
Information package: 6.95
Movies package: 7.95
MEncore Package: 7.95
Kids package: 9.95
Knowledge package 8.95
Entertainment Package 10.95
Total: 99.60$

So yeah, 60.52$ difference. That is a very severe difference. That's the price of Videotrons 30-meg internet I would fork over every month just to get the same channels. Plus I would have to change ISP.

Anyhow, he said it would be a year from now *if* they break into the Quebec market. So that is a year to drop prices to make bundle people like me with families happy enough to want to jump. Which I doubt will ever happen.

So this is more for couples or bachelore(ettes), or students. Or for people in Ontario who don't seem to have the same pricing and quasi-a-la-carte like Quebec.

So even in your case, Guspaz, where you get no rebates at all (because you are a dissenter with a wholesaler ), you are still about 20$ ahead (in your pocket) than w/ Vmedia due to their package structure geared to the Ontario market or something.

Not worth it (in Quebec).

Now I'm going to call in to get unlimited for 10$ more and might complain about that dollar raise Videotron gave itself a month or so back and try and get two out of it

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4
By the way, guys, forget about the 1% inflated rates for LPIF, which will be eliminated in 2014.

said by Not4QC :

So someone above stated it came to 1$ a channel. Actually, they get ~70-cents a channel out of me and still make a high profit.

- Vidéotron's English package has 27 "channel selections" for 25$ : $0.926/channel
(ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX-PBS are free, TSN2 comes with TSN, Retro comes with Teletoon, MEncore2 comes with MEncore, Disney Jr comes with Family).
- Vidéotron's Telemax package has 37 "channel selections" for 30$ : $0.811/channel
- Videotron's Mega package lists 145 channels for 60$ (not gonna count channel selections here), but you figure out it's a lower rate per channel.

Yet, vmedia's whole set of package containing half of these channels without PayTV costs 99.60$. Huh. Not a way to save money here.
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

Not4QC

@videotron.ca
said by En Enfer:

Yet, vmedia's whole set of package containing half of these channels without PayTV costs 99.60$. Huh. Not a way to save money here.

yeah it's no money saver right now the way it's structured. At least not here in Quebec, or not people in bundles. No clue about Ontario.

Also, I don't know how many total channels that would be with Vmedia. I was only looking at what the kids and wife chose from the a-la-carte-30. And with those specific channels, yeah I would have to buy the Vmedia packages for 100$.

But it's a launch to get off the ground. And the basic seems to have Ontario people speaking in the TSI forum, and else-where, and they seem to want it. I also noticed a few Quebeckers who are not in bundles (ie with wholesale via TSI or Ebox) who think it's a decent deal also for 25$.

Like I said up above. It seems geared towards young people or those not in bundles. I haven't looked at the over-all pricing as you have. Just what I have here versus Vmedia.

Also, I imagine Vmedia will have to come out with their own bundle pricing. Don't know if they have this already. Double-bundle: IPTV + Net. Triple bundle: IPTV + Net + Voip. If they don't offer this already I can see them offering this within a year and pulling in customers from other wholesalers. So they have potential with their IPTV offering.

So if I was a betting man, En Enfer, because their prices are a little higher (between you and I, and here in QC anyhow), I am betting they are going to come out with bundle prices and lower that IPTV cost and scoop people up if it all pans out. At least that is what I am envisioning here.

But they really need to get rid of the packages and go a-la-carte.