All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to El Quintron

to El Quintron

Re: VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

Would only be interested if the "packs" could be subscribed to without getting stuck with an unneeded basic channel package as well.

TMN + HBO Package for $18/month - sign me up!
Basic Package + TMN + HBO Package for $25+$18=$43/month - no thanks
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have eqHD, OasisHD, or HiFi on their lineup... those channels were literally the only reason I was keeping Bell Satellite service, and when I moved into the new place I took advantage of the excuse not to keep it.

If they added those channels and kept the pricing relatively low, I'd consider it, though.... As it is, I get most of the channels they have in the Basic package (that I'd actually watch) with an OTA antenna anyway, and have been quite happy streaming the rest of the shows from their websites. I do miss those channels, but I'm not going to pay $70/mo for them.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to BrianON

to BrianON
said by BrianON:

Would only be interested if the "packs" could be subscribed to without getting stuck with an unneeded basic channel package as well.

TMN + HBO Package for $18/month - sign me up!
Basic Package + TMN + HBO Package for $25+$18=$43/month - no thanks

That is impossible right now, no one can offer a TV subscription service with offering what CRTC has mandated as mandatory basic channels. The best that can be done is what Videotron apparently does in Quebec, the basic is made up only those absolutely mandatory channels and then thats it. After that you get to chose the packs.
kmoed
join:2011-01-31
Toronto, ON

kmoed

Make the Basic package $1, and I am in.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

well Personally i am getting a bit tired of Soft half Product availibility launches ITs bad enough with gameconsoles launching with no games Now we have TV providers launching with No Stations? cmon.. Just get you products ready then launch!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to kmoed

to kmoed
said by kmoed:

Is that really a serious expectation?
kitkatneko
join:2007-10-17
Toronto, ON

kitkatneko

other countries get basic package and 50/10 internet for $30 - so why pay more in Canada? like in Europe providers with most services and reasonable prices always get customers and then the other have to follow.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Because the GBP and Euro trade on parity with the Canadian dollar right?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to kitkatneko

MVM

to kitkatneko
said by kitkatneko:

other countries get basic package and 50/10 internet for $30 - so why pay more in Canada? like in Europe providers with most services and reasonable prices always get customers and then the other have to follow.

Because we're all dealing with wholesalers here where the suppliers have set prices multiple times higher than they need to be to hit that France pricing. While there's a problem here, there's nothing that the customer-facing companies (the IPTV and ISP companies) can do about it, all they can do is try to produce the best offer based on their costs that they can.
kmoed
Toronto, ON

kmoed to TypeS

to TypeS
A serious expectation in Canada? No not at all. Which is why I have not had cable for over 15 years. Why on earth would I pay $25/month for a basic cable that would never be used. Just to get access to a handful of channels I would? Complete nonsense ,this company seems to be no different then Rogers or Bell.

Offer a basic cable package that is just that, basic, Absolute basic channels at a abosulte basic price.
donl
join:2010-04-23
Brampton, ON

donl to kitkatneko

to kitkatneko
I think we are paying too much here in Canada, but remember that the average salary, let say in the UK is 27k and in Canada is in the mid 40k.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to kmoed

to kmoed
I don't believe the dollar value you posted at all is an expectation anywhere.

Even if they just offered the basic + any meaningful profit, you'd be still be looking at around $15/month for basic. Basic is defined by a regulatory body, not the TV subscription company.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to donl

MVM

to donl
Average earnings in Canada, December 2012: $47,200 CAD
Average earnings in UK, April 2012: $40,847 CAD
Average earnings in France, 2010: $41,473 CAD
Guesstimate of 2012 France earnings based on Canadian wage increase year-on-year: $43,828 CAD

The average salary in the UK is 27k GBP, you can't use that figure without doing the currency conversion... This is also all before tax, so it has no real bearing on actual disposable income.
kmoed
Toronto, ON

kmoed to TypeS

to TypeS
sigh..
"Basic is defined by a regulatory body"
And there is the problem.

Continuing to justify being ripped off, from Bell, Rogers, or any new provider coming along, Just because they have a mandate from the CRTC to do so, is ridiculous.

As long as there is no REAL option out of the forced cable package, we will never truly see competition in the market in Canada.

If more voiced their opinion on it, maybe it would change? Maybe that would better than discussing the merits of a new way to have your wallet emptied due to "Government Regulations"

OTA + Online services at this point, is the only real alternative, Although limited to most.
pwrsurge
join:2009-04-15
Canada

1 edit

pwrsurge

said by kmoed:

OTA + Online services at this point, is the only real alternative, Although limited to most.

You forgot FTA satellite which is another good and legal alternative which compliments nicely what you can receive via OTA by adding specialty and international channels along with "wild feeds" for various sporting events. Up to 300 channels are available on Ku-band FTA while an additional 400 are also available on C-band FTA.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

said by kmoed:

Is that really a serious expectation?

I would rather they offer just the LOCALS on Basic, price it for what's that worth, and let us pick what we want past that. Vision, TFO, CTV NEWS, CBC NEWSNETWORK, CP24 etc. etc. should not be part of basic. If I want it, I will pay for it.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i honestly only care about local TV + sports stations (i'd prefer just Sportsnet over TSN too if i could save) just so i can get Sens games live. i'm pretty sure next year I will simply get NHL Center Ice package.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

said by jmck:

i honestly only care about local TV + sports stations (i'd prefer just Sportsnet over TSN too if i could save) just so i can get Sens games live. i'm pretty sure next year I will simply get NHL Center Ice package.

Same.. In Toronto, I get 30 channels FREE OTA, between Toronto, Hamilton, and Buffalo, in FREE HD. I cancelled Cable because of this, but if cable companies moved to a LOCALS ONLY basic, and let us pick what we want past that, I may come back to Cable. Vmedia with their planned pick and choose that George talked about, they may get be back, if it's available via TSI.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i'm pretty sure TSI has no interest in peering with Vmedia and offering the services to their clients, they'd rather sell you a solution themselves.
etech
join:2011-02-14

etech

said by jmck:

i'm pretty sure TSI has no interest in peering with Vmedia and offering the services to their clients, they'd rather sell you a solution themselves.

I doubt it 100%. Tek earlier said they do not have interest If I recall.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

Marc basically said he has no interest in providing the capability for another company to provide a set-top box for TV services since customers won't switch to a TSI offering one day.

at the same time, why should Marc/TSI pay for a peer? it seems Vmedia should fully cover the integration cost and offer ISPs a fraction of each sale or something.