how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Toushirou

join:2011-06-22
Phelan, CA

setting up a mange network for a houe that are rooms rented

I am using a dd-wrt router at the moment to mange my network, but need a little more control. I need the ability to mange all the user in the house and limit the bandwidth usage in for each user, like give them 2mb each on my connection and total download and upload in a month around 50 gb or so, then cut there connection till next month. I looking around for some thing like that. I don't know whether router software like untangle can do this or some thing similar, or even if dd-wrt can even do this. I am using this with u-verse at&t witch the have a 250 combine bandwidth limit every month or for every 10 gb i believe its $20. This is with using wireless laptops but i don't thing that really mater as would use both a ip and mac address to mange them.

Samir

join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL
I don't think the Linksys will do what you want without hacking it.

I've used Meraki access points (specifically the OD2 aka 'outdoor') that can do this. You can limit bandwidth by MAC or across the board and white and blacklist MACs. It's not that cheap, but does a fantastic job for the price.
--
Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike Enthusiast website: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to Toushirou
I'm pretty sure current versions of Tomato firmware can do what you describe.

If you want really fine control you could always get something with RADIUS support, like pfsense or something Linux based.
--
db

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Toushirou
AT&T does not enforce their cap on u-verse customers. Although don't get caught reselling their service- including to roommates.

Toushirou

join:2011-06-22
Phelan, CA
thats nice to know. and i dont sell my internet to them i just let them use it i just dont what them going over board on using up all the bandwidth as my 18/2 mbs line.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Toushirou
DDWRT and Untangle should have measuring / reporting capabilities as to how much bandwidth is consumed.

Not sure HOW much control you're looking for -- I can say with a fair degree of confidence there's nothing
in either one that'll automatically shut down someone once they hit that 50Gb cap though.

Best thing is to start playing with the knobs and switches and seeing what works for what you're trying to do.

Regards

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
tagged subifs per room with a shaper and a fancy eem script to match on bitcount and shut after $amount would work on cisco kit.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."