how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kevin007

@optonline.net

[Windows] Optimum Boost Plus slow speed using wireless rounter

Hey,
First of all thank you for any help in advance. Today I got upgraded from Optimum 20/2mbps to 50/8mbps. My equipment is as follows: Modem ARRIS MODEL: TM802G. My router is DIR-615. When i'm directly connect to the modem through the Ethernet cable I'm getting the 50+ MBPS download stream and 7+ MBPS on the upload stream. Now the issue is when I plug Ethernet cable from the modem to router then router to the computer then my download speed stays at 50+mbps, but the upload speed drops to 1.56. Any reasons for why this is happening? Secondly how did I get speed of 50+ mbps using the wireless connection? Is there setting in the router setting or the computer end? Any help will be appreciated

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: [Windows] Optimum Boost Plus slow speed using wireless rount

said by Kevin007 :

when I plug Ethernet cable from the modem to router then router to the computer then my download speed stays at 50+mbps, but the upload speed drops to 1.56.

Ensure that your router is running the latest firmware. I don't know if the DIR-615 has a QoS function, but if so, that could be artificially choking your upload. If all else fails, try resetting it to factory defaults.

Secondly how did I get speed of 50+ mbps using the wireless connection?

Are we supposed to guess?
--
db

Kevin007

@optonline.net

Re: [Windows] Optimum Boost Plus slow speed using wireless route

It has the latest firmware. I already tried turning off the QOS function does not help with the speed. Secondly I meant to ask how CAN I get speed of 50+ mbps using the wireless connection? Sorry for the typo. I did try factory defaults, it does not help.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Kevin007

Re: [Windows] Optimum Boost Plus slow speed using wireless rount

said by Kevin007 :

Now the issue is when I plug Ethernet cable from the modem to router then router to the computer then my download speed stays at 50+mbps, but the upload speed drops to 1.56.

To rule out equipment, get IPERF or similar to make sure that the device can move 100Mbps in the WAN
to LAN AND LAN to WAN directions. No reason why it can't, but you never know.

said by Kevin007 :

Secondly how [can] I get speed of 50+ mbps using the wireless connection?

Wireless G or Wireless N? You do know that G tops out at 54Mbps, and that's only the THEORETICAL
performance number. Wireless N can go much faster, but I forget the top theoretical number it can hit.

Again, get IPERF or similar and benchmark the device accordingly.

Regards

Kevin007

@optonline.net
It's Wireless N router. My main concern is to get more faster speed with wireless Internet using the router. I'm not really sure on IPERF part? Is that test software for bandwidth? I downloaded it and it doesn't really give me option to install or something?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Try disabling SPI in the Firewall settings. If that doesn't help, you will probably need a newer router with a little more horsepower to handle your new speeds.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to Kevin007
Try this if you don't like mucking with installers.

said by Kevin007 :

My main concern is to get more faster speed with wireless Internet using the router.

Not to be a grammar Nazi but that made absolutely no sense from a sentence structure perspective. Are you
after faster wireless speeds on your LAN, or faster wireless speeds on your WAN? Keep in mind that the
numbers are THEORETICAL / best case numbers. Also, speeds are only going to be as fast as the slowest
link along the path, ie. if you got a N 300Mbps wireless expecting a 300Mbps connection to the internet, you're
sadly misinformed.

Regards

kevin007

@optonline.net
I'm not trying to get 300mbps just to get from 20mbps to 60mbps using the WAN.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to Kevin007
So 20 - 60Mbps from WAN to wireless?

Did you get a chance to drop in xjperf and benchmark what the equipment can do?

Regards