spc
uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: BOOM! 5 Tuners Live in Delaware

exiting, now just to wait for home routers to start carrying MoCA like Actiontec does with theirs.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

said by SpHeRe31459:

With the tuners unlocked, bugs being squashed left and right, and multi-room being enabled next month, it looks like maybe over the summer I'll be moving to an AnyRoomDVR enabled X1 setup. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. Hope the AnyRoomDVR stuff really does happen in June and it all works smoothy

Horray for MoCA

OK, then you should like this article, Mike:

Report: MoCA brings home networking device market to a boil
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - May 15, 2013
»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· o-a-boil

From the article:
quote:
"MoCA is again driving growth in the home networking device market, particularly shipments of video gateways in North America," said Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research. "Deployments of cable and satellite set-top boxes with integrated MoCA are slowly reaching a boil, and we expect DirecTV's Genie, Dish's Hopper, and Comcast's XG1 set tops to see increased shipments throughout 2013 and beyond."

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

With the tuners unlocked, bugs being squashed left and right, and multi-room being enabled next month, it looks like maybe over the summer I'll be moving to an AnyRoomDVR enabled X1 setup. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. Hope the AnyRoomDVR stuff really does happen in June and it all works smoothy
[/BQUOTE

Horray for MoCA

SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to novanosis

Premium Member

to novanosis
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Glad you got those enabled!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Well, that's good, because according to a post (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 3#M74491) by "ComcastKaraT" in the Comcast Support Forum's "X1 - DVR" thread:
quote:
There is no visual indication of the 4 recordings feature. The functionality is turned on for all X1 customers as of today's date.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Just happened to do a reboot just now - DVR came back online - I now have all 5 tuners! Checked the diagnostic screens - all 5 active, great SNR's and signal levels across the board.

Set 4 recordings at once, no longer rec'd the error message!
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

You are correct.

Not sure about the other boxes getting X1.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Telco-
I'm hoping that's the case - as that's how I'm set up (1 X1 DVR, 2 RNG-150N's)

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to aguiar0016

MVM

to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

You will need to have X1 boxes on all TV's in the home in order to view the recordings.
Boxes are same prices as additional digital converters are now.
Regular Digital Boxes will not get the apps (I believe).

So I guess you're saying that the additional boxes all need to be the Pace RNG150N (aka "PA PR150BNM") X1 client boxes, as that is the only non-XG1 box that supports the X1 (OSG 3.0) guide right now.

I would imagine that at some future time, when the X1 guide is released for other RNG boxes, that the Motorola and Cisco RNG150N AnyRoom-capable (client) boxes could then be also used.
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I don't have that many details but it is going to work just like the Anyroom DVR does now.
You will need to have X1 boxes on all TV's in the home in order to view the recordings.
Boxes are same prices as additional digital converters are now.
Regular Digital Boxes will not get the apps (I believe).

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to aguiar0016

Premium Member

to aguiar0016
Ag-
Any other details you can share?
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016

Sorry I never explained it but the Anyroom X1 DVR is coming out in early june.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to aguiar0016

to aguiar0016
Personally I just added a Premiere 4 to my setup and between the multi room viewing, streaming, and the addition of the TiVo stream, I don't see the point in X1 anymore.
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to telcodad

to telcodad
This update is coming on 6-4-13 for New England X1 customers. Not sure of the other areas.

Can't wait to get rid of the second DVR I have now.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - An article on the FierceCable site this morning with some news on what's ahead for the X1 platform:

Comcast investing in advanced services for Xfinity Home and X1 platforms
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - May 1, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-05-01
... future versions of the X1 platform will include improvements in the way subscribers can search for content [i.e. "X2"] and access programming on DVRs as well as move it "across other devices."
:
The product is now available in 30 percent of Comcast markets, Comcast Cable Communications CEO Neil Smit told analysts. X1 will expand to 50 percent of Comcast's footprint by the end of the second quarter, he added.
telcodad

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Thanks for that update, SeattleMatt See Profile.

From the recent drop-off in rants in this thread, I figured either the "X1 Experience" had improved greatly, or that many of the X1 users had just given up and went back to using regular DVRs.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Mike / Telco-
Ironically after I posted that screen shot of the DVR update last Wednesday, apparently we got ANOTHER update between then and Sunday (I was away on vacation in South Carolina - Charleston is FANTASTIC for anyone wanting a get-away).

However, since the big outage a few weeks ago when we couldn't even watch TV, the X1 has been the most consistently stable since I got it.

Macnbc - Enjoy! The majority of bugs have (knock on wood) finally been worked out.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Sounds like a double edged sword telcodad. On one side the X1 service has become extremely popular, on the other side, due to it becoming extremely popular it's causing a lot of stability and reliability problems which may turn perspective customers off from it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
No, I think Comcast has been developing the X1 Platform using OpenStack for a long time now.

The move to that "new server platform" was probably just a hardware architecture one to handle the increasing load from all the new X1 users.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
So that sounds like this is a second server move after the emergency one a few weeks back when everything X1 took a complete dump?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

The latest posts on that Comcast "X1 Forum" thread »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M71599 say that a patch was released about an hour ago, with one poster just reporting:

I spoke to someone today and they said they are basically moving to a whole new server platform, not just a patch. He said it would hopefully be in place in the next day or two. Fingers crossed !

An article on the MCN site today provides some details about the X1 platform's "cloud" architecture:

Comcast’s X1 Takes a Crack at OpenStack
MSO Taps the Open-Source Cloud Operating System to Help it Break the Old, Closed Set-Top Paradigm

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - April 30, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· k/143016

Edit: Also an article (with a video) on the ComcastVoices blog site: »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· penstack
telcodad

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

The latest posts on that Comcast "X1 Forum" thread »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M71599 say that a patch was released about an hour ago, with one poster just reporting:

I spoke to someone today and they said they are basically moving to a whole new server platform, not just a patch. He said it would hopefully be in place in the next day or two. Fingers crossed !

Here's today's official update from that "X1 Forum" thread. Maybe this means they have moved to that "new server platform" now?

DVR Update - April 6, 2013
From ComcastKaraT
4-6-2013 12:48 PM

DVR Update (as of April 6, 2013)

DVR capabilities have now been restored to our X1 customers, and our Customer Care and Engineering teams continue to work any remaining issues for our customers. The temporary DVR performance issues were an unintended result of some software enhancements on the X1 Platform, which have now been addressed. To our X1 customers, we apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience as we resolve the matter.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Wow I can't believe they aren't doing anything about it. First and foremost, fix the issue. Secondly offer the TV portion of the bill for free for the month. Third, don't charge extra until the system is out of Beta. If anything they should be paying the customers for their time in beta testing the platform.

I don't know. The X1 is not really a mainstream finalized production product at the moment. As such, it is not being heavily advertised besides the ocassional press release on Comcast's website announcing it's availability in select markets. At this point, it's very much still an experiment and needs alot of further tweaking. The good news is that Comcast is actively pushing out updates and tweaks to help make the box the best it could be. This won't happen overnight though and I don't think it's right for customers to get pissy and demand credits when they kind of know what they signed up for. And it's not like they can't just take the box back and exchange it for an older model. Comcast is NOT forcing people to upgrade to the X1 and really the only people who care about getting it are the techies who love technology and so they of all people should be the last ones complaining about bugs, just my opinion.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad
Wow I can't believe they aren't doing anything about it. First and foremost, fix the issue. Secondly offer the TV portion of the bill for free for the month. Third, don't charge extra until the system is out of Beta. If anything they should be paying the customers for their time in beta testing the platform.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
Well, with all these latest problems, the X1 platform has now managed to make the Consumerist site:

I Pay $250/Month, Get Useless DVRs, And Comcast Doesn’t Care
By Laura Northrup, The Consumerist - April 4, 2013
»consumerist.com/2013/04/ ··· nt-care/
S10driver35
join:2009-09-29
New Castle, DE

S10driver35 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Well that didn't last long. Now all I'm able to view are deleted programs. Back in maintenance mode. How something can work perfectly fine one minute, then lose all functionality the next, then be fine again is just mindblowing!!!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Sounds like even with the smallish deployment of the X1 platform that's out there today it was underestimated on how much of a load it would place on Comcast's server side.
I'll say it again, everything 100% in the cloud seems like a bit of a foolish idea considering the experiences here.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to S10driver35

MVM

to S10driver35