Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Cheaper iPhone

said by IowaCowboy:

As long as the phone accesses the VZW LTE network, its fine by me. That LTE network is like a mobile cable modem although it is a battery killer.

I don't find LTE to be a battery killer on my Sprint iPhone 5. In fact it's quite good. Average use I can go two days... heavy use (rare) it'll still easily last to the end of the work day and more.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I have more than once been caught on the go with a dead battery and you can't plug a car charger into public transportation.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

That's weird, I wonder if it's a VZW iPhone issue. I consider myself a fairly heavy user from 8-5 (work iphone) and I usually end the day with anywhere from 40-60% on an average day.. 20% on heavy usage day.

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg

Premium Member

I guess that makes me a VERY heavy user. It's both my work and personal phones, so I'm lucky if its not on the charger in the afternoon.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

It might depend on location or if it's constantly looking for a signal as well - I have great LTE reception at work. However, if I'm in Dallas and have low signal levels or it's switching between 3g/LTE, it drains significantly faster which is to be expected. I send/receive large amounts of e-mail every day & use it for scheduling purposes as well & frequent phone calls. Pretty decent battery life though. It outdoes my Android phone by far..

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS
It could be a VZW issue as the other half of VZW is CDMA and CDMA is a battery killer. Sometimes my phone connects to EVDO instead of LTE (especially in the Northampton/Amherst area and up in Maine). GSM is gentler on batteries than CDMA.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

It could be a VZW issue as the other half of VZW is CDMA and CDMA is a battery killer. Sometimes my phone connects to EVDO instead of LTE (especially in the Northampton/Amherst area and up in Maine). GSM is gentler on batteries than CDMA.

Sprint is CDMA as well.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to LightS

to LightS
That probably because Sprint is mostly 3G CDMA

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

What is not being reported is this cheaper iPhone is intended for the Chinese market and is not slated at this time to sell Stateside.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Paulg

to Paulg
said by Paulg:

I guess that makes me a VERY heavy user. It's both my work and personal phones, so I'm lucky if its not on the charger in the afternoon.

That does make a difference. In my case the big killer is that I use VOIP for my home line and I'm on LTE.

Constant refresh to the server = dead battery (on LTE) in about three hours.

NefCanuck
weaver0
join:2004-05-05
Macungie, PA

weaver0 to LightS

to LightS
This. I've noticed that this is the biggest contributing factor on battery drain on the iphone. Travelling from PA to FL via 95, my battery will die in half the time of normal routine - with less use. It has to be the constant switching of towers and hunting 3g/edge

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
It's not that CDMA is that much more of a battery killer for Verizon phones, but that most Verizon's LTE phone's with the exception of the iPhone are always connected to both CDMA for voice and LTE for data.

GSM phone's only connect to LTE, and drop back to HSPA+ for voice and data at the same time when calls are received.

CDMA/LTE can't do that because unlike HSPA/LTE which is based on the same GSM ancestor, CDMA/LTE is a cobbling together of two completely imcompatible networks.

engage16
@myvzw.com

engage16 to LightS

Anon

to LightS
gotta use at&t in western mass and all of new england. I have NO issues with battery life after being now on my 3rd iphone over the years. the download speed is also a LOT faster. I know they don't have a huge LTE market here yet but the hspa+ is sure as heck quick enough for email, web surfing, etc.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster
I bet you anything they are refurbished 3gs's then...