Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

La Luna to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3

Re: Heartgard/Vectra3D alternatives?

I would NEVER order a heartworm medication online without a prescription from an unknown source. Some of these so called "identical" medications are manufactured in China, with zero quality control. You have NO idea what you're getting. You could kill your dog with some of these products if there's something wrong with it.

It's best to stick to known sources, like the vet's office, who only order from the actual manufacturer.

Another place that is ok for online orders is Dr.Fosters and Smith. Their products are legitimate, and they require a prescription for heartworm preventatives. Prices are a little cheaper than a vet office.

Also, keep in mind to NEVER just start heartworm meds on a dog that hasn't been taking them. They need to be heartworrm negative to be on the protocol. If you give them the preventative and they are heartworm positive, you can kill the dog. Same goes if you stop the preventative for the winter (if in a cold climate).....blood test before restarting in the spring.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

I would NEVER order a heartworm medication online without a prescription from an unknown source. Some of these so called "identical" medications are manufactured in China, with zero quality control.

I like your paranoia and so do vets I'm sure.
Pet Shed to me is a known source.... they happen to be in Australia where the identical Pfizer Revolution can be sold without scrip.

And actually got rather PO'd at my vet when I found a place a bit cheaper in the US but required a scrip but they wouldn't write one because they don't sell it.

Well be going to free rabies shot clinics too since then (actually low cost all the shots $100 less than vet... but rabies free) That silly decision has got them a loss of routine customer.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Sorry, it's not paranoia, it's fact.

If you want to play roulette with your dog's life, be my guest.

As far as vax's go....do you know what titers are?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

Sorry, it's not paranoia, it's fact.

As far as vax's go....do you know what titers are?

Translation of that last line???

All I can say is he has been on the Pet Shed actual Australian branch Pfizer Revolution since he was a year old now going into his 12th year.... no fleas ticks or heart worm either.

Oh and by the way just looked at the box and made in USA by Pfizer Inc. for Pfizer Australia Pty Ltd.

And early on tried the Hartz stuff while in effective never seemed harmful then again a big all American MUTT not a neurotic pure inbred to be ill or fu fu thing.

You know an actual DOG not a designer just pretty/cute play thing.
And by the way rare time he does go to the vet... they always remark on how he is about the the happiest healthy dog they see... not saying wish he wasn't to see more.

Now would I buy it from a random E-Bay listing especially out of country of course not.

And a lot of this is the same BS as our human health care BS.

I remember when he was a puppy and they said he had to be $100 tested before heart worm meds.... and I asked them well how often has a puppy ever been positive.... uhhh like never.
But of course they said its law... when really just their pocket lining

Yes an adult dog gotten from the pound... big unknown reasonable chance there could be heart worm.... but a protected puppy they know this is just a racket thing they can get away with and then scrip sell but not allow others too to keep your inflated price business.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I would NEVER order a heartworm medication online without a prescription from an unknown source. Some of these so called "identical" medications are manufactured in China, with zero quality control. You have NO idea what you're getting. You could kill your dog with some of these products if there's something wrong with it.

I guess my dog has just been lucky over the last several years.

Our vet wouldn't even write a prescription for us to use somewhere else. He insisted that we pay outrageous prices to get the medication from him. He's not our vet any more...

BTW, you can buy Ivermectin for large animals without a prescription: »www.tractorsupply.com/we ··· ermectin

Something stinks...

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

What do you consider "outrageous prices"?

If your vet wouldn't write a script, that is wrong, as long as you are going to order from a reliable source. Was that the case? Maybe he/she didn't like where you wanted to order from and didn't want to be liable if something went wrong. Cheap isn't always best when it comes to medications.

Lay people should never play around with powerful drugs like Ivermectin. Farmers/ranchers with many large animals know how to administer it. Again, just because it's cheap/available doesn't mean you should do it.

I agree....your dog HAS been lucky, very lucky.

I don't care what anyone does with regards to this, if you want to take the chance, be my guest. Won't be happening with MY dog.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
A lot of times they will test for heartworm at the pond before they put them on the floor.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by chip89:

A lot of times they will test for heartworm at the pond before they put them on the floor.

Guessing you meant Pound... and my dog came from the mother dog and owner...unless in a really bad environment it is HIGHLY unlikely a 6mo old (The age you can start giving them major meds/vacs) puppy is going to have heart worm.

But they will insist still they be tested. I have known dogs before there were the meds that had heart worm but they were all very adult dogs, and lived in wild/where could roam and get into stuff situations. Not your typical most places these days housed and leash walked dogs.

Again can understand the test mandate for adult dogs just starting meds, but for puppies (not from abandoned/unknown situations) just a needless money maker, not just the tests but on going prescribed periodic retest to renew (they don't work?) meds.

OK found a source in Australia (Its OTC there) that will ship Revolution here without scrip... some scream from web FAKE... well since he's been on it not one flea. tick, or heartworm.... now maybe Aussie Physer produced but real thing.... again just there it OTC as it should be here.

OK throw me in jail....dog is 12 years old now and vet always says among the few healthiest happy strong they ever see... and only once a year.

Well actually the Vet doesn't... really healthy dogs make them financially grumpy ... but the medical assistant/receptionist always does.

And actually if a dog has heart worm... yes the meds can be accelerating, but either way heart worm will be fatal accelerated or not.

At least I have yet to hear of any actual cure for it once infested, just that the preventative meds may accelerate demise in an not since puppy treated/untested infested animal. Outcome is the same though just a question of time... always fatal

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I have to agree with this.

I used to play the "cheaper internet" game too. Until I realized that too much can go wrong with pet meds too take a chance on internet sellers who pay malcontents minimum wage to send out stock purchased from who knows where.

In my case what woke me up was a purchased a supply of Frontline Plus directly from Amazon (not an Amazon supported dealer) which resulted in an infestation of fleas for nearly the whole year that I used it. Made me realize that if medicine from a responsible retailer like Amazon, didn't work for flea protection, why would I take a chance on anything that potentially might not protect and/or kill my pet.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

What do you consider "outrageous prices"?

If your vet wouldn't write a script, that is wrong, as long as you are going to order from a reliable source.

Not at all unusual have experienced it my self. They don't sell it they won't prescribe it, and if they do likely not to give on to an outside source.

And had roaming vets down here monthly or so doing free rabies shots and low cost full course shots.... $35 instead of $150 and ok no blood test or stool test.... but has never had worms or whatever the blood test is for...then again gave him a Kennel cough blow up the nose my vet never had.... not just kennels a potential problem if dog park frequented.

And again around other dogs playing with while standing on the ground outdoors unnoticeable getting the the shot in the butt vs traumatically being put on a high table and forced to lie down... and up on a scale.... well again since he has be an adult NEVER outside 94-96 lbs....but again unfamiliar rather traumatically unnecessary unless they think he has gained weight, again never significantly or visibly has because I don't overfeed him, mistake again largely the fufu dog owners make as well as feeding them human food. (Hey a lot of its not even good for us)

Like the screwed Human health system vet system does same stuff because they $$$$ can.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to Del_Gue

Premium Member

to Del_Gue
said by Del_Gue:

said by La Luna:

I have to agree with this.

I used to play the "cheaper internet" game too. Until I realized that too much can go wrong with pet meds too take a chance on internet sellers who pay malcontents minimum wage to send out stock purchased from who knows where.

Well again depends how stupid you want to be.... would I buy of EBAY NEVER.... also depends on how inherently unhealthy a dog you have because they're cute and dumb enough to spend $3000 for it.

Mine a strong as an OX good old NORMALLY large MUTT not mini inbreed neurotic problem from day one dog. He is 12 and greying in the face now but still perfectly able to drag you down the street you let him. Much more limited than used to be where when I got him KW was very open to dogs... but headed for the head... someone says you want me to hold him...I say well you can try to. When I get back... they say (maybe houling them off their chair) wow he really wants to be with you.

Pet Shed is as reputable the major online/mall US sources. Phyzer does have AU facilities there and unlike here Revolution is sold OTC there.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

1 recommendation

skj to La Luna

Mod

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Also, keep in mind to NEVER just start heartworm meds on a dog that hasn't been taking them. They need to be heartworrm negative to be on the protocol. If you give them the preventative and they are heartworm positive, you can kill the dog. Same goes if you stop the preventative for the winter (if in a cold climate).....blood test before restarting in the spring.

I have a dog that has tested positive for heartworm. Her infestation is very mild and had to be sent to a lab to confirm she has them. She has been on a protocol of monthly Heartgard medicine. She was also taking the antibiotic doxycycline for a period of time. The doxycycline is known to weaken and sterilize the heartworms and helps to eventually kill them. It is an accepted "slow kill" method by many veterinarians. She is only currently on Heartgard. As for buying a generic version, that is something I would never do.