how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

[OS X] Drive going bad??

I just ran disk utility and the program told me my external data drive was corrupt. It asked if I wanted to repair it. I did. The program said all was good. Should I start looking for a new drive or should I be okay?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1

Yes, and back up your data as soon as you can because these things are unpredictable.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to simiglen

SmartReporter.........................

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to simiglen

corrupted data does not necessarily mean that the drive is going bad. Especially with an external drive. All it takes is disconnecting improperly one time to corrupt data. That being said, if you have anything important on it I would make sure that you have another copy elsewhere and keep an eye on it.

simiglen

Simi Valley, CA

Ok. So I bought a new drive. I tried to do a basic copy paste from old data drive to new data drive. There was a error and it only copied about 9 items.

I have Time Machine running. How do i restore just my data drive from time machine?

Thanks!

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to simiglen

I've always used CCC ( Carbon Copy Cloner)

never fully trusted Time Machine...................

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to simiglen

I've never had a problem with Time Machine personally. I keep all 3 of my machines backed up to encrypted Time Machine backups and have restored numerous times without any problems.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to simiglen

Corrupt data on HFS drives does not euqal a bad drive has been pointed out.

On power outages and impatient family members, turning off power to the PC while HFS is reading/writing is very dangerous.

I've had to restore from backups a couple times for various family members because of this. The drives are still fine 5+ years later in some cases.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to simiglen

said by simiglen:

Ok. So I bought a new drive. I tried to do a basic copy paste from old data drive to new data drive. There was a error and it only copied about 9 items.

I have Time Machine running. How do i restore just my data drive from time machine?

Thanks!

Unless you removed the external drive from the exclusion list in Time machine preferences it wouldn't have been backed up.

If you did remove it, then I would enter time machine with finder opened showing the Macintosh HD. Once in Time Machine navigate to the date you want to restore. Right click the drive and choose restore to. You will then be prompted for where you want to restore the data to and you can choose your new drive.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to simiglen

I would just use disk utility to clone the data to the new drive.

simiglen

Simi Valley, CA
reply to simiglen

Thank you all for your input. I have finished moving my data.

Have a great day!