REF for IPv6 = »www22.verizon.com/suppor ··· 8742.htm

REF for CGN = »www22.verizon.com/suppor ··· 3897.htm

Not looking good
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

kes601

And the link you sent clearly states it does not affect FiOS customers.

"Be a Residential customer with High Speed Internet Service. There is no need to “opt-out” if you are a FiOS or Business customer."

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL

1 recommendation

Chris123NT to anon user

to anon user
Yeah, GCN only applies to DSL, not FiOS.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to anon user

MVM

to anon user
I've opted out here, even though it isn't in my area yet. I run many applications that are very sensitive being behind any sort of Carrier Grade NAT, and they will ultimately break or cease to function entirely.

Thanks for the heads up on the link.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt to anon user

MVM

to anon user
Since the last IPv4 /8 blocks were allocated a couple of years ago carrier NAT is inevitable. It is also surprising residential ISPs, with the notable exception of Comcast, seem to be doing little to roll out IPv6.

»www.nro.net/news/ipv4-fr ··· depleted

Interesting CGN is being deployed for DSL customers but not FIOS. I assume they will use the reclaimed addresses to provide IPv4 addresses to new FIOS customers. Another indication Verizon wants to walk away from copper.

/tom

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

1 recommendation

Chris123NT

said by tschmidt:

Since the last IPv4 /8 blocks were allocated a couple of years ago carrier NAT is inevitable. It is also surprising residential ISPs, with the notable exception of Comcast, seem to be doing little to roll out IPv6.

»www.nro.net/news/ipv4-fr ··· depleted

Interesting CGN is being deployed for DSL customers but not FIOS. I assume they will use the reclaimed addresses to provide IPv4 addresses to new FIOS customers. Another indication Verizon wants to walk away from copper.

/tom

Well yeah, there's that and the fact that GCN breaks ALL incoming remote access services. And since FiOS TV depends so heavily on remote access (remote DVR and other features) GCN on FiOS would actually cripple the advertising points for those features, as well as the whole smart home thing they're trying to push on FiOS as well.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

2 recommendations

tired_runner to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

/tom

Verizon uses CGN on 4G LTE as well.

Nothing to do with walking away from copper. Verizon just isn't yet ready for IPv6, at least not for their entire customer base.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt to Chris123NT

MVM

to Chris123NT
said by Chris123NT:

... since FiOS TV depends so heavily on remote access (remote DVR and other features) GCN on FiOS would actually cripple the advertising points for those features,

Interesting, I'm not a Verizon customer anymore so don't know the specifics.

Do you know if remote access to customer equipment: DVR, Smart Home, etc is made by going directly to the IP of the customer's router or is it mediated by a Verizon server? If you go directly to your home IP then I agree CGN breaks access. If on the other hand you log into a Verizon server and the server mediates access then CGN is not an impediment. Only the public face of the Verizon server needs a public IP. Since the server is within the Verizon network access to customer's private IP address is not a problem.

/tom