how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheTickSP

join:2013-04-09
Buffalo, NY

[NV] Cisco DPq3212 and VPN slowdowns

Hi all, I have someone that's having difficulty with VPN over their Cox connection in NV now that they've upgraded to Windows 7/Cisco AnyConnect 2.5. I'm having them opt out of Cox's Enhanced Error Reporting now to rule that out. Their home internet speed tests normal when VPN is not connected, but once they do, the speed drops to around 1 mbps up and down. Are there any other obvious steps I need to try?

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

What OS were they running before the downgrade to widnows 7? Why do you blame the modem first if the OS changed?

Sounds like too low of an MTU on the tunnel interface. What is the MTU set to?

TheTickSP

Buffalo, NY

It's two different PCs deployed from a corporate environment. The old PC was Windows XP with the Cisco VPN client that came before AnyConnect - no issues whatsoever. The new Windows 7 machine with AnyConnect - has the problem. I lean toward the modem or something like that only because the user lives in a place and uses an ISP and equipment different from everyone else I support. I doubt our IT that deployed the laptops was able to test with it.

I will check his MTU setting.

TheTickSP

Buffalo, NY

MTU for the VPN connection is 1406 from what I can tell.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

A few quick searches on google of cisco anyconnect + windows 7 finds quite a few people with a similar problem. Since the modem is just a simple bridge it doesn't mangle the packets, it doesn't care what traffic you're sending.

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
reply to TheTickSP

Interesting. I use Cisco AnyConnect for my VPN and have zero problems with it. Using Windows 7. Wired AND wireless have no problems. Speeds are pretty consistent with and without the VPN connection.

EDITED: forgot to add I also have the DPQ3212 eMTA.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to TheTickSP

1. Are you their IT? User? Friend?
2. Do you have Cox Home or Cox Business?
3. If the later, do you have a static IP or DHCP?
4. If the later, are you connected direct through a switch? Or something managed?

So far all evidence stated points to a configuration issue with the *new* client on the *new* OS, perhaps because, as you stated, the IT is not familiar with the ISP? I assume they are more used to DSL? With Cable its alot easier. You can pretty much rule out the modem and the ISP. JMHO. I would maybe look to Windows Firewall? That got a huge change between XP and Windows 7. Also does the client do any error reporting and logging? If so

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/securit···sgs.html