Those damn madden fans and homophobia.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to stvnbrs
I would have to agree they are the best worst company ever.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to stvnbrs
As much as I hate EA... I wouldn't call them the worst company out there, but they have a serious problem with PR and some people need to learn to shut up and listen at the exec level over there... that, and they just need to disappear from the face of the Earth sometime soon as well.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

2 edits
reply to stvnbrs
I agree they're a horrible company from a consumer /gamer standpoint, but honestly they're hardly the worst in America. They just have the biggest group of internet saavy people that despise them, so they're more likely to vote online. I mean seriously they beat BP last year...

That said, fuck you EA. Fuck you right in your ear.

Editing to include a quote from Penny Arcade taken from the article that sums up my feelings completely:

“Until EA stops sucking the blood out of games in order to make uninspiring sequels, or at least until they begin caring about how much gamers hate their lack of respect for our money and intelligence, this is going to continue,” writes Penny Arcade’s Kuchera. “We don’t hate them because we’re homophobes, we hate them because they destroy companies we love. We hate them because they release poor games. We hate them because they claim our hate doesn’t matter as long as we give them our money.”

--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to stvnbrs
I do not hate BoA because it's not even here, but Canadians in general do not despise banks as much as Americans.

I would also agree oil or insurance companies are technically worse, but since they're ALL assholes, it'd be hard to decide which of the assholes is the worse.

When it comes to companies overall, it's easier to handpick EA out of the crowd since they're so good at making themselves look stupid, even when they're not actively trying.

MADDEN FANS AND HOMOPHOBES WON THE INTERNET TODAY
is what will appear in the subject line pf the company's next mass e-mail PR move to the employees.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to fnord76
said by fnord76:

I would have to agree they are the best worst company ever.

I'll be adding this to my worst company's list..

So now I have EA- Game company and HughesNet- internet provider. I'm sure there are indeed a sh't load of others worse however.
These two company's would'nt even put a dent in it.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to stvnbrs
Worst Company in America doesn't really hold much weight. I don't see any conceivable way EA is any worse than Zynga. Zynga doesn't even treat their employees well.

Of course if you branch outside of the shallow industries covered by The Consumerist, you find even worse companies. Perhaps Monsanto is the one who truly deserves the crown.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by silbaco:

Worst Company in America doesn't really hold much weight. I don't see any conceivable way EA is any worse than Zynga. Zynga doesn't even treat their employees well.

Of course if you branch outside of the shallow industries covered by The Consumerist, you find even worse companies. Perhaps Monsanto is the one who truly deserves the crown.

Sadly most people cannot see beyond their preferred news vendor and their favorite blogs.

While I agree that EA is evil for their over use of recycling games and killing great companies. Your mention of Monsanto reminds me of another big issue, The fact that big pharma corps can patent chunks of the human genome. Or that some big banks have forclosed on homes not even currently under a mortgage, they send in their cleanup people and steal all the stuff and then have the nerve to not even return the stuff when their mistake is brought out.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Monsanto is the one who truly deserves the crown.

Agreed. Or perhaps a tobacco company? They seem to be the "worst companies" of yesteryear and we simply tolerate them without much protest nowadays.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Krisnatharok:

said by silbaco:

Agreed. Or perhaps a tobacco company?

Dow/Union Carbide being another, but, these companies really don't give a shit if they get a WCIA/Golden Poo, or if they did they'd just sue the award out of existence, before it was even awarded.

EA is kind of a low hanging fruit when it comes to this stuff, not that it excuses them.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to stvnbrs
I really thought carnival was going to take it this year. It's one thing to ruin a $200 game, it's completely another to ruin a $2k vacation, with the possibility you were to return to work 1 week prior but couldn't because you are on the floating porta-potty back to port. Then the bus breaks down, and more comedies of errors.

I would have thought they would have been in the top 4 for sure. Ticketmaster beat them out, and got beat out by comcast.

I really didn't peg EA to win this year at all.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to diablo1892
I'm surprised they forgot to put hughesnet on the list they would of won guaranteed!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to David
said by David:

I really thought carnival was going to take it this year. It's one thing to ruin a $200 game, it's completely another to ruin a $2k vacation, with the possibility you were to return to work 1 week prior but couldn't because you are on the floating porta-potty back to port. Then the bus breaks down, and more comedies of errors.

I would have thought they would have been in the top 4 for sure. Ticketmaster beat them out, and got beat out by comcast.

I really didn't peg EA to win this year at all.

Thing is, it's all in the numbers.

How many people had a $2k vacation ruined? From memory, those boats are no more than 5k people.
How many people bought EA games? In the millions, and world wide.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I do not hate BoA because it's not even here, but Canadians in general do not despise banks as much as Americans.

I go in to BoA on a daily basis to make our company deposits. It amazes me the amount of people that bank there. I despise that place.

People are in there applying for credit cards, auto loans, mortgages, etc. I wouldn't give 1 penny of my money to that place.

Makes me glad I'm with a credit union.

I remember when we had our home loan through Wells Fargo for a short while, those assholes would charge a 15 dollar fee just to pay online.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by silbaco:

Agreed. Or perhaps a tobacco company? They seem to be the "worst companies" of yesteryear and we simply tolerate them without much protest nowadays.

I vote Monsanto for most Evil company ever to exist far eclipsing big tobacco.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Nah. At least their products work as advertised/warned/etc.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to stvnbrs
This "reward" was well deserved, the biggest reason being nickel and diming to death players with microtransactions and DLC that should have been included in their $60 games.

This has been the stated business model of EA, and the fact that their COO blamed "homophobes and whiny Madden fans" for last year's "award" while not addressing this only reinforced gamers' hatred of EA. It certainly did not do anything to improve the company's reputation among them.
--
I, for one, welcome our new Computer Overlords.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to stvnbrs
they deserve it!

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to stvnbrs
“Until EA stops sucking the blood out of games in order to make uninspiring sequels, or at least until they begin caring about how much gamers hate their lack of respect for our money and intelligence, this is going to continue,” writes Penny Arcade’s Kuchera. “We don’t hate them because we’re homophobes, we hate them because they destroy companies we love. We hate them because they release poor games. We hate them because they claim our hate doesn’t matter as long as we give them our money.”

Best quote.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Thing is, it's all in the numbers.

How many people had a $2k vacation ruined? From memory, those boats are no more than 5k people.
How many people bought EA games? In the millions, and world wide.

I guess that's a rather good reason why AT&T was out of it, can't piss millions off worldwide I suppose. I suppose come to think of it that way I would have thought facebook would have been up there too. They did have an impressive first round.

Of course I would rather us not rank at all, but I don't control everything AT&T, or what decisions corporate makes. I just play the game to the best of my abilities, I don't get to make the rules. Best I could do is assist where I can, and when I can. I guess that does make a small bit of difference or maybe a candle in the wind, but it's still there.

As I tell everyone when they ask the question.. "How can I thank you?!?!?"

I say "Spread me around, word of mouth is the best advertisement I could get, and far more reaching. "
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

I agree they're a horrible company from a consumer /gamer standpoint, but honestly they're hardly the worst in America. They just have the biggest group of internet saavy people that despise them, so they're more likely to vote online. I mean seriously they beat BP last year...

That said, fuck you EA. Fuck you right in your ear.

This. Stupid kids bitching about their games not working instead of realizing that half of the companies on the list did irreparable damage to hundreds of thousands to millions of people's financial future or have done things that have actually caused disease and deaths.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by intok:

This. Stupid kids bitching about their games not working instead of realizing that half of the companies on the list did irreparable damage to hundreds of thousands to millions of people's financial future or have done things that have actually caused disease and deaths.

logic would think those companies would stand out in the competition, but for some reason they do not.

I still think BP should have stood out. I still think most of the banking and loan companies should have stood out as well.

You would think... then again... they do not.
--

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to intok
We expect the big corps to a-holes. In the past the gaming industry wasn't as bad as them. Now that ea is encroaching on that level of a-hole territory people are striking back.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to David
Carnival offered full refunds, a future free cruise, and some cash to boot. See EA ever even offer a refund.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to stvnbrs
The thing about BoA is they are stalking me. I had a nice checking and savings account with a small local bank. One day out of the blue I get a welcome letter from BoA telling me how lucky I was because they had bought out my bank and I was now their customer. I tried them for a few a months and hated them so switched to another local bank. A year later I get the same letter from BoA.

The same thing happened with one of my credit cards.

The same thing happened with my home mortgage.

I can't escape these bastards!

At least this hasn't happened with EA and my games........ Oh wait...... Nvrmnd
--
/)_/)
( . . )
C(")(")

intok

join:2012-03-15
said by saillaw:

The thing about BoA is they are stalking me. I had a nice checking and savings account with a small local bank. One day out of the blue I get a welcome letter from BoA telling me how lucky I was because they had bought out my bank and I was now their customer. I tried them for a few a months and hated them so switched to another local bank. A year later I get the same letter from BoA.

The same thing happened with one of my credit cards.

The same thing happened with my home mortgage.

I can't escape these bastards!

At least this hasn't happened with EA and my games........ Oh wait...... Nvrmnd

Even bigger then too big to fail. Thanks Prez Bush!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

Carnival offered full refunds, a future free cruise, and some cash to boot. See EA ever even offer a refund.

EA offered me a refund once. I wanted to buy a second copy of BF3 as a gift and didn't see the gift option, so ended up with two copies on my Origin account. They offered to refund the money or transfer the second copy to my stepson's account.

Just sayin'.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Try getting them to refund the original purchase.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
They had offered to...