Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to StuartMW

Re: MS Security Intel Report - 24% PCs Unprotected

I feel that A/V has its place, but not as the be-all, end-all solution.

In its defense, there have been many legitimate sites hacked with malware exploits, and client and server application vulnerabilities are a popular attack vector.

Very often, these vulnerabilities remain unpatched even after exploits have been in the wild for some time. In these cases as well as with systems with careless or nontechnical users and systems with high value data, anti-malware applications provide a useful layer of security.

In the end, though, I feel Bruce Schneier said it best;

"Security is a process, not a product"
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
I agree that AV has it's place, and it certainly is not one and only product if one is really choosing to do anything. An AV is like underwear, but you wouldn't wear just your undies. Yes, indeed. It's that layering that can make the difference.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

I feel that A/V has its place, but not as the be-all, end-all solution.

Exactly.

The MS report is pretty good as far as it goes. On the other hand (and see the report) they're in the business of selling anti-malware solutions. That's not to say that their report is biased but their statistics must be taken in that context.

Also, as I've already said, they're basing the figures on incomplete data. They cannot measure other factors.

As you said an A/V is just another layer.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

...you wouldn't wear just your undies.

Yes well that too is contextual. There are places where only undies are worn
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

An AV is like underwear, but you wouldn't wear just your undies. Yes, indeed. It's that layering that can make the difference.

I guess going commando is risky? ...

intok

join:2012-03-15
said by Dustyn:

said by jaykaykay:

An AV is like underwear, but you wouldn't wear just your undies. Yes, indeed. It's that layering that can make the difference.

I guess going commando is risky? ...

Total freeballin'?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=469KLGY6WCQ

--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org