Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by telcodad:

Well, while it may be "technically possible," in this post »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog) from the "New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas" thread, Ted Hodgins had this explanation for why they wouldn't push OSG 2.0 out to existing, in-home boxes:

... it's fairly technical, but to keep the explanation simple, the new On-Screen Guide 2.0 is delivered to our newest cable boxes via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way).

The RNG 200 that you have in your home today is not assigned to the tru2way mode and can't be easily flipped or changed into that mode and preserve your current DVR recordings, favorites and other user configurable settings which would be a bad customer experience.

Yep that makes sense. The guide software is completely different, it isn't just an incremental update. I assume it requires activating the Tru2Way middleware and loading the guide software with it. i-Guide is in no way Tru2way enabled of course, since fundamentally it's the same software as it was in 1999.

So it would require a complete reset of the software on the box. That would come as quite a surprise to people. (Though personally if I were warned with plenty of time, I'd be fine with it.)
I still hope they figure out how to transition though, I mean it's supposed to be their goal to move all capable hardware forward and make i-Guide their legacy guide. Most people aren't going to swap boxes "just because" - most people don't even know or care that there is a much newer/nicer UI.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
Well, while it may be "technically possible," in this post »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog) from the "New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas" thread, Ted Hodgins had this explanation for why they wouldn't push OSG 2.0 out to existing, in-home boxes:
... it's fairly technical, but to keep the explanation simple, the new On-Screen Guide 2.0 is delivered to our newest cable boxes via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way).

The RNG 200 that you have in your home today is not assigned to the tru2way mode and can't be easily flipped or changed into that mode and preserve your current DVR recordings, favorites and other user configurable settings which would be a bad customer experience.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
Push is technically possible with DSG active. OOB command would inform the box to turn on DSG mode. DOCSIS modem in box does a hunt and acquires a 2-way communication with the CMTS. It registers with the CMTS and the docsis-tunnel configuration in the CMTS routes its traffic appropriately as its configured to know the difference between cable modems and set top boxes.

Once locked onto a 38.8mbps data channel, pushing X1 is now possible.

Look at it this way... DirecTV updated the UI to HD over the air. Andorid phones update over the air. iPhones now update over the air. Anything is possible... just have to write proper code to do so.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Ahh there we go all chatter's been in the SA stuff, so I would just have had to look further back in time, but it's good to see someone ask about Moto stuff. I assumed it's the same answer since they're all RNG boxes, but you never know with Comcast...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

Has he posted any info about [rollouts to] Moto areas? (I know that specific thread is about the ongoing Cisco/SA guide saga) There's plenty of X1 capable Moto and Pace hardware around.

I've just found this post »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 3#M63839 so far, in which it says:
The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience. That is underway.
:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted, will my DCX3501 get the On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) in the future or do I have to get the Pace box and a Tech sent to my house?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later in 2013 we plan to deliver the X1 Experience on some of our newer existing in-home boxes in some areas. Currently that is not the case.

If you want the X1 Experience now, then you would need to have new boxes and have them professionally installed.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I believe just about any RNG box from Motorola, Cisco and Pace would be able to support the X1 guide, but I can't find a specific post from him stating that.

I should clarify, we both know the hardware is capable. I meant any rollout information. So far his comments have all been focused on Cisco hardware, but that could of course simply be because it's in a Cisco thread...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
I believe just about any RNG box from Motorola, Cisco and Pace would be able to support the X1 guide, but I can't find a specific post from him stating that.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Yeah so that pretty much just reiterates what he said in January.

Has he posted any info about Moto areas? (I know that specific thread is about the ongoing Cisco/SA guide saga) There's plenty of X1 capable Moto and Pace hardware around.