share rss forum feed

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

said by telcodad:

However, I think it will not be "pushed" to already-deployed boxes, but will require, like for On-Screen Guide 2.0, that you "swap any existing Cisco RNG boxes in your home or arrange to get new boxes from your local Comcast service center."

Yeah I see someone just asked for clarification in that thread. Interested to see the answer.

I would imagine at first you would need to do an equipment swap, because there's no way they're going to push a complete (and much larger than ever before) guide software update out. For example it's just insane to try and do that over the OOB.

But eventually you'd think they'd work out some strategy for pushing it out since Ted has said repeatedly that the end goal is to move all capable hardware to X1 and move i-Guide to it's rightful legacy status.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by telcodad:

However, I think it will not be "pushed" to already-deployed boxes, but will require, like for On-Screen Guide 2.0, that you "swap any existing Cisco RNG boxes in your home or arrange to get new boxes from your local Comcast service center."

Yeah I see someone just asked for clarification in that thread. Interested to see the answer.

Well, Ted just provided the "answer" »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···3#M72883 , but he didn't give any more detail about how they will "deliver" the X1/OSG 3.0 guide to existing, in-home boxes:
From ComcastTeds
4-18-2013 2:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7bpc wrote:
... Will the X1 Experience require a professional installation or will it be upgraded as the s26 guide was?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later this year, we have plans to deliver the X1 Experience on some of our newer existing in-home boxes in some areas.

Our newer boxes in our Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta areas are currently the RNG 150, 150N, 200 and 200N.

If you want the X1 Experience now (and you are in an area where it is available), then you would need to have new boxes and have them professionally installed.

The longer term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common guide this year to provide a more consistent experience. That process is underway.

The X1 Experience is working today with customers in both our Motorola and Cisco footprints.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

Great... no details in the least... maybe when it gets closer he actually feel like sharing the details...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by SpHeRe31459:

Great... no details in the least... maybe when it gets closer he actually feel like sharing the details...

Yeah, even when Jim184 See Profile tried to extract some further details about it, in a later post that thread »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···5#M72896 , all Ted would say is:
To be clear, I said that we expect to have the X1 Experience on some of the Cisco RNG boxes in some areas later this year.

We aren't prepared to announce locations, timing or other details beyond that at this time.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

so does he mean no Motorola/arris systems will get the x1 guide?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by mikedz4:

so does he mean no Motorola/arris systems will get the x1 guide?

No, just that it was a quote from a thread about SA/Cisco box guide updates.

The latest Motorola/ARRIS boxes are also supposed to be able to get the X1 guide. See: »Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers