Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to koreyb

Re: Rogers worried?

Here's to hoping they are worried, they need to be shaken up.

When I called to cancel my Internet with Rogers, their initial retention offers were underwhelming. She himmed and hawed, put me on hold to talk to her manager, offered unlimited for $30/month more (bringing the total to $75-some-odd) and insisted a new and more expensive DOCSIS 3.0 modem was absolutely required to increase my cap from 60 GB to 80 GB, which made no sense to me (I'd just be hitting the cap more slowly?)

As soon as I indicated I was switching to TekSavvy, WITHOUT HESITATION, she offered:

- unlimited
- rate guaranteed for 8 years
- $35/month
- new modem rental included

This was clearly designed to crush TSI.

Most people I talk to cannot believe I turned that down. I did turn it down because:

- they didn't treat me well when I was an existing customer
- why doesn't everyone pay the same price? Why all the secret deals? Why do I have to be a master negotiator to get a good price?
- a "guarantee" from Rogers is to be taken with a large grain of salt. For one thing, if I change any other service, I can say goodbye to that special deal.
- I am completely uninterested in what they call a modem now. I would be suspicious of the thing even in bridge mode.
--
TekSavvy cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

said by Fraoch:

As soon as I indicated I was switching to TekSavvy, WITHOUT HESITATION, she offered:
- unlimited
- rate guaranteed for 8 years
- $35/month
- new modem rental included

Maybe you got this offer because you do have services with them?
When I called them to see what they can offer they had nothing interesting to say.

Fraoch

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by bbhog:

Maybe you got this offer because you do have services with them?
When I called them to see what they can offer they had nothing interesting to say.

I have everything with them actually:

- TV
- 2 mobile phones
- 3 telephone numbers over 2 accounts (business and personal)

and I would like to take everything away from them. Internet is first and I won't ever be going back.

I'd like to do TV next but there are no viable alternatives. Was about to go with Shaw Direct but their latest offer is almost as much as Rogers with the added insecurity of a satellite connection. VMedia seems interesting but incomplete at this point, plus I'm not convinced I could get good HD picture quality at the low bandwidth they use. And I'd have to switch to their ISP who supposedly has all tech support in Chinese only.

Phone...most VoIP doesn't seem too secure to me, and I'm not convinced I could fax over it. Amazingly Rogers' VoIP works just fine for faxing.
--
TekSavvy cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Fraoch:

Phone...most VoIP doesn't seem too secure to me, and I'm not convinced I could fax over it. Amazingly Rogers' VoIP works just fine for faxing.

Common misconception the POTS providers have been successful at keeping alive it seems....VoIP is stable, secure, and fax is an issue that was addressed years ago and most major providers support.

As for Rogers Home Phone, of course it should perfect in fact....With dedicated traffic/lines and all...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Fraoch

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by d4m1r:

Common misconception the POTS providers have been successful at keeping alive it seems....VoIP is stable, secure, and fax is an issue that was addressed years ago and most major providers support.

I'm just seeing lots of forum posts about time delays, no dial tone, poor audio quality, etc.

Also TSI does not support faxing over VoIP:

»forums.teksavvy.com/yaf_postst15···dem.aspx
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

VoIP is stable, secure, and fax is an issue that was addressed years ago and most major providers support.

LOL, sorry but no. You can say a lot of things about VoIP that may be better than traditional landlines but some of that is absolutely not true.

Yes it could be stable, depending on your connection. Secure would assume a closed network otherwise you are still vulnerable to someone in China hacking into a server and running a packet trace.

But faxing over VoIP. Nope. I see many problems every year whether it be a bad connection, too much jitter, some DSP stack not being able to properly communicate with an older fax machine etc. It's never solved. Some VoIP providers who offered faxing stopped and some still to this day will only claim limited support.

Now Rogers Home Phone might be better in some ways than other providers but again that's a closed network that Rogers has direct control over and even then I'm sure you can find a lot of customers who do have issues with it.

EHTL

join:2002-10-31
Canada

said by mlerner:

Yes it could be stable, depending on your connection. Secure would assume a closed network otherwise you are still vulnerable to someone in China hacking into a server and running a packet trace.

Are you saying Canadians are stupid and couldn't hack?
Why dragged the chinese into this discussion?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by EHTL:

said by mlerner:

Are you saying Canadians are stupid and couldn't hack?
Why dragged the chinese into this discussion?

Perhaps because the US, China and several other countries overseas have the highest amount of cyber crime. It was an obvious example. Simmer down.