spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fckrobelus

join:2013-04-13
Gatineau, QC

Robers advertising lawsuit waiting to happen!?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Robers, has released the following email to their cable techs: (the pictures above belong below the bolded text below in the original email)
I would sue them if they did this one my lawn..(100k for advertising fees?)

Class action anyone?

Hi All,

Early next week you will be provided a lawn sign to advertise Rogers services during your installation calls. You will be required to pick this up during your routine visit to your local warehouse.

Please add your Company cell phone number or this toll free voicemail number (1-888-282-1668) to your sign in the spot provided.

Thank You

... Like the big red van in front of the house isn't advertising enough already?.. what a joke! talk with your money, cancel all your services with these crooks!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

Nothing new. Rogers TV have similar signs to be put out at events where the TV control van is set up. They get conveniently "lost" or buried in the back of the truck or "left" somewhere.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to fckrobelus

Not sure if you could sue for that. That said, nothing preventing you from recycling the lumber, if you know what I mean.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

fckrobelus

Gatineau, QC

If they are advertising on my property without my consent, how could one not sue for that?

bill boards are a paid service.. they are essentially placing a bill-board on my lawn... any lawyers in the forum that could anwser this?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by fckrobelus:

If they are advertising on my property without my consent, how could one not sue for that?

bill boards are a paid service.. they are essentially placing a bill-board on my lawn... any lawyers in the forum that could anwser this?

You are contracting with the provider to install your service. While they are doing that they can place a sign near your vehicle. BTW, there is a 66 foot right of way on all roadways which you don't control. If the sign is on the right of way, it's none of your business.
--

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to fckrobelus

Also, I'm sure if you ask a technician to remove the sign during his/her visit, they would likely comply, which would leave you with little legal recourse.

Off Topic, but I wonder why they would want the technicians to put their phone numbers on the billboard. Techs have no clue when it comes to pricing and promotions.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to fckrobelus

Yeah, just a bit tacky... I'd think the big Rogers logo on the truck should be enough. I wonder how much of a bonus the team that came up with this idea got for it...
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

You are contracting with the provider to install your service. While they are doing that they can place a sign near your vehicle. BTW, there is a 66 foot right of way on all roadways which you don't control. If the sign is on the right of way, it's none of your business.

Any right of way that they have would be for the purpose of providing services, not advertising. Otherwise they'd put huge billboards on everyone's property.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to fckrobelus

If they put it on the boulevard, it wouldn't be on your property.
--
Tom

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

said by DKS:

Any right of way that they have would be for the purpose of providing services, not advertising. Otherwise they'd put huge billboards on everyone's property.

The Road allowance is not just for providing services. That's why election signs are allowed.
--

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON

2 edits

said by DKS:

said by TLS2000:

The Road allowance is not just for providing services. That's why election signs are allowed.

So you're telling us that elections signs can go on your front lawn without your consent? NOT !

It's called a right of way, Utilities and others care have access to this to provide services but it's not an open space for anybody to do anything.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by joeblow3:

said by DKS:

said by TLS2000:

So you're telling us that elections signs can go on your front lawn without your consent? NOT !

It's called a right of way, Utilities and others care have access to this to provide services but it's not an open space for anybody to do anything.

They can be on the ROW, yes. That doesn't mean they are, however. And this is way off topic.
--

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to fckrobelus

And just what would you sue them for? How would you prove they did anything wrong that requires a lawsuit?

Expand your moderator at work

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to fckrobelus

Re: Robers advertising lawsuit waiting to happen!?

said by fckrobelus:

I would sue them if they did this one my lawn..(100k for advertising fees?)

Sue on what grounds? What harm is being done, that requires compensation to make you whole?

Tacky? Perhaps...

Actionable? Doubt it...

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by LazMan:

Sue on what grounds? What harm is being done, that requires compensation to make you whole?

Honestly, no wonder judges think people who represent themselves in court are usually crackpots. Based on this topic I'd say they have a point.

fckrobelus

Gatineau, QC
reply to fckrobelus

there's alot of plants in here...

if you don't like the post, that's ok..
if you like corporations taking advantage of you and your property.. that's ok too sheeps!

someone being awake like me and giving idea's to others(weather good or bad).. priceless! think outside the box! stop people from taking advantage of us! enough is enough!

cheers!

LazMan
Premium
canada

I'm no plant, and could hardly be accused of being a Roger's shill...

Don't want them to put up the sandwich board? Tell them... Most techs aren't going to care, unless they know management or contract inspections are in the neighbourhood, anyways...

Long walk from asking to not setup a sign (or take it down, if they have), to suing... And should a judge agree to hear the case (not likely) - one side will look a fool; and it won't be the side driving red trucks...

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to fckrobelus

Are you going to sue if the big red rogers truck parks in front of your house, but is actually working on someone else's house? Its clearly advertising for Rogers. After all, the truck is red, and has ROGERS plastered on it.

They memo even says keep it close to the vehicle, so it will be on the boulevard.

I am not a sheep, but, I don't waste my time with petty things, looking for a quick buck. There are many other wrongs in society that need to be righted. Doubtful, this is one of them.

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to fckrobelus

...right of way

FCK ROBERS

@distributel.net
reply to LazMan

I would sue them to teach them a lesson, because their guys should be instructed (and most likely will) not to install that thing without permission. And what would you sue for?? TRESSPASSING. If you don't authorize someone on your property or parts of it and they still do, it is TRESPASSING. But I agree that a judge won't even want to hear this anyway...

LazMan
Premium
canada

1 recommendation

said by FCK ROBERS :

And what would you sue for?? TRESSPASSING. If you don't authorize someone on your property or parts of it and they still do, it is TRESPASSING. But I agree that a judge won't even want to hear this anyway...

You're not exactly familiar with the law, and the remedies it allows...

They aren't trespassing; but anyways - we'll agree that the sign's tacky - anything beyond that; well, I don't really care.

If there's a 20' long, big red Roger's truck in your driveway; do you think the average passer-by will even notice the sign? Me neither...

fckrobelus

Gatineau, QC

You do have a point..
The whole reason for this post was simply to make people aware of the sheer stupidity that's coming out from our corporations.

the lawsuit thing was also simply to remind people that they have rights and that corporations are trying to abuse them every day. (example of this: watch "hungry for change" on netflix) it's amazing what corporations will do in the name of money.

weather or not you could win something like that in court, it simply brings public awareness of stupidity, greed, key people in company's doing anything to "show" they are working and trying to save their own worthless positions..

In other words, Rogers has gotten this big because of us, we allowed them to get that big. they have more money than they know what to do with and this kind of sillyness is what they do with it to brainwash the population further into paying exorbitent prices..(if they didn't do stuff like that, they could afford to bring their prices down!)

I can go on but I think most people probably have gotten the point by now..

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to fckrobelus

said by fckrobelus:

Lawsuits are generally used to recover damages when somebody has harmed you. What damages have they caused by putting a sign down next to the truck while on a service call at your house?

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to fckrobelus

It would not bring any public awareness to it because no one would care that much. The companies have rights aka RIGHT OF WAYS too.

fckrobelus

Gatineau, QC

right of ways are for utilities, not advertizing!

blueeyesm

join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to fckrobelus

If I am contracted to have windows, a door, etc. installed into my home, that company has the right to put their advertising on my lawn.

How is this any different?

fckrobelus

Gatineau, QC

absolutely not!

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to FCK ROBERS

How are they trespassing? You have about two enforceable actions under the trespass to property act.

Entry, where entry prohibited
Failure to leave, when directed to do so.

Good luck arresting the Rogers man for entry where prohibited. If he is on your property, its because you called him there. Further, for entry to be prohibited, you must have things to indicate entry is prohibited, and, no, a No Trespassing sign is not sufficient. Failure to leave when directed, pretty sure they will leave when told.

Even better luck trying to arrest anyone for coming on your front lawn, and even your porch. Unless its gated to prevent access, you cannot charge someone for coming on to your property until you have directed them to leave, and given them the opportunity to do so, and even then, if they are there with a lawful purpose, good luck. IE, The water meter reading folks, gas man, hydro etc.

Even if you did, I am pretty sure the ticket, as trespassing is a provincial offence, would get thrown out in court, if the guy fought it, rather than paid it.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

You are mostly correct, but anywhere that has growing plants is considered prohibited whether it is fenced/signed or not. The rule is "If it grows there, don't go there". Yes, the mail man is trespassing when he walks across your lawn to the neighbour's house.

That said, if the Rogers tech is at the OP's residence at their behest, he's authorized to be there.

If they attempt to put a sign on your lawn and not the boulevard which is actually owned by the municipality, then you have justification for telling them to remove it. There's certainly no justification for a lawsuit though.
--
Tom