spc
Search similar:

uniqs
opticnode
join:2010-12-01
Birmingham, AL

opticnode

[HSI] WTF Charter.. Stop giving me a hard time

I live in a neighborhood that once had Alabama Broadband in it. Earlier this year Charter bought them. However, Alabama Broadband did not go all the way down my street..(newer neighborhood..) I saw a charter truck giving service on the street that leads to mine, I stopped and talked to him and he told me to call Charter and have them do a survey for my area.. I called Charter and they said my address was "serviceable" and I can order services.. I explained to them I don't have cable out there and she said she sees people on my street that have it and it shouldn't be a problem. That was on last Tuesday.. On Wednesday the installer came out saying that there wasn't a tab near me and the closet tap is .2 miles away and he needed to get a survey done. Also said that with this many houses it shouldn't be an issue and to reschedule my appointment for Monday. I said ok.. He said it would be on Thursday.. I said ok.. Called Thursday night to check the status.. they said the work order was till open.. called Friday and they said the work order was still open.. Called Saturday... was told it was going to happen on Monday.. I called Sunday because I need to know if I needed to take out work on Monday.. She didn't really know whole lot.. Is still plan on taking off this afternoon to see if they are going to be able to install it.. but is this something normally Charter would do? Run a tap .2 miles on the same day as install? How do they know if it is going to be worth their money to do so? Won't they take days to complete?
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

zed260

Premium Member

well .2 miles is around 1000 feet they will probably want to charge and arm and a leg if they do run it just depends

anyway did any techs come out
opticnode
Birmingham, AL

opticnode

They came out and did a survey.. Now the construction teams has to come out.. If they want to charge me money for them to make their company serviceable to 30 more houses that can forget it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Better hurry up and call them before they start the work!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to zed260

MVM

to zed260
said by zed260:

well .2 miles is around 1000 feet they will probably want to charge and arm and a leg if they do run it just depends

Why would they charge for a plant extension into a populated neighborhood?
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by zed260:

Why would they charge for a plant extension into a populated neighborhood?

well depends on how much they need to do to extend it sometimes its running a whole new node etc each areas diffrent

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to opticnode

Premium Member

to opticnode
If the survey crew has led to the construction crew coming out, they have found a reason to extend to you without charging. If your scenario is accurate (1/4 mile for 30 homes) most likely they are interested in serving the rest of your road.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Having been with and dealt with Charter and their stupidity for as long as I have, I'd still be calling and asking about what's up!

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

You make a valid point.
opticnode
Birmingham, AL

opticnode

Yeah, Called them.. still waiting to "hear something".. lol
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01 to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

If the survey crew has led to the construction crew coming out, they have found a reason to extend to you without charging. If your scenario is accurate (1/4 mile for 30 homes) most likely they are interested in serving the rest of your road.

Construction team not crew, they are the ones that determine how much it will cost to extend the lines, if there is a easement and if not how much it will cost to get one granted

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by wingrider01:

said by bobjohnson:

Construction team not crew, they are the ones that determine how much it will cost to extend the lines, if there is a easement and if not how much it will cost to get one granted

That would be correct. I read that wrong. There is a big difference between Crew and Team. But I still stand by them not wanting to charge if OP's scenario is accurate.
wingrider01
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by bobjohnson:

said by wingrider01:

said by bobjohnson:

That would be correct. I read that wrong. There is a big difference between Crew and Team. But I still stand by them not wanting to charge if OP's scenario is accurate.

tried it for a business installation that the side benefit would have been a new sub-division with about 60 homes, charter wanted to charge us 8K to extend the line to a point right in front of the business which was also right across the street of the new sub division. they wanted us to foot the bill for the extension of the line so they could not only get our business but the new sub divisions business
Expand your moderator at work
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to opticnode

to opticnode

Re: [HSI] WTF Charter.. Stop giving me a hard time

said by opticnode:

They came out and did a survey.. Now the construction teams has to come out.. If they want to charge me money for them to make their company serviceable to 30 more houses that can forget it.

if its giving them access to that many more houses for only 1000 more feet(and probably an amp), they won't charge you. Its likely they have a franchise agreement that forced them to serve all houses that want it within the county.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to wingrider01

Premium Member

to wingrider01
I should start running a business like that Tell my potential customers to pay for everything so I don't have to invest in anything and there's no waiting for ROI. Hmm, whatever happened to "If you build it they will come?"
wingrider01
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by bobjohnson:

I should start running a business like that Tell my potential customers to pay for everything so I don't have to invest in anything and there's no waiting for ROI. Hmm, whatever happened to "If you build it they will come?"

Urban legend just like "the customer is always right" is a urban legend.

Infrastructure costs, both in legal fees and construction and upkeep, the end users will foot the bill either by higher monthly charges or a up front payment for the work. 60 homes is not a good return considering there is no promises that all 60 will pick charter as their provider for cable and internet. Direct tv is prevelant in the area I work and live with dish a close second. In my subdivision of 130 homes home the majority have sat dishes - mine included, I only have charter for internet.
wingrider01

wingrider01 to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

Urban legend just like "the customer is always right" is a urban legend.

Infrastructure costs, both in legal fees and construction and upkeep, the end users will foot the bill either by higher monthly charges or a up front payment for the work. 60 homes is not a good return considering there is no promises that all 60 will pick charter as their provider for cable and internet. Direct tv is prevalent in the area I work and live with dish a close second. In my subdivision of 130 homes home the majority have sat dishes - mine included, I only have charter for internet.
opticnode
Birmingham, AL

opticnode

They won't do it.. So I am getting my city involved.. I live in a small city/town. Makes no sense for the to service an entire neighborhood expect one street. Cost effective or not.. Why not run cable in the entire neighborhood? Half my street has it, then it just "stops".

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow

Anon

Opticnode keep pushing the point. There is going to be a big construction push to build out plant to subdivisions that havent been serviced in Alabama / Georgia starting later this year.

charterengr
Premium Member
join:2002-03-09
Newnan, GA

charterengr to opticnode

Premium Member

to opticnode
opticnode - text me the street name and zip code. I'll look into it.