uniqs

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

[WIN8] Windows 8.1 will be a Free Upgrade

“Windows Blue” will be called Windows 8.1 and will be a free update to Windows 8 for consumers through the Windows Store.

»blogs.windows.com/window ··· ter.aspx

Blake

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Well, it cannot get any cheaper than that, but I'd also want to know if there are any strings attached to that, or it's just an attempt to boost 'sales' numbers.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
In otherwords, its a glorified service pack.
M$ never gives anything away.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
I think I called it at least in part,.....
said by Octavean:

Low cost or free makes a lot of sense if the Windows Blue upgrade is applicable only to Windows 8.

Those not on Windows 8 in theory could upgrade to Windows 8 at full price then upgrade to Windows Blue AKA Windows 8.1.

And no, I'm not kidding as you suggested before.

In order to be true to form and ape Apple at every turn I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft made Windows Blue AKA Windows 8.1 download only from the Microsoft store (again making Windows 8 a prerequisite). I'm not saying they will or even that I heard it somewhere (I didn't), only that it wouldn't be all that surprising,....

Free is a great price indeed but not sure this free offering will really offer much.

I'd very much like to try it out though,....

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

“Windows Blue” will be called Windows 8.1 and will be a free update to Windows 8 for consumers through the Windows Store.

»blogs.windows.com/window ··· ter.aspx

Blake

Thanks!

Public Preview To Launch June 26
»techcrunch.com/2013/05/1 ··· june-26/

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
So the question is, can someone get Windows 8.1 without using the Windows Store? For example, is there a way to install Windows 8.1 without installing Windows 8 first?

If it is "like a service pack" there has always been ways to download the service pack, and slipstream it into the install media of Windows, and then just start with 8.1.

I also am someone who likes to start with the current version, with any additional service packs or versions.

So, is there any information yet that would allow you to download Windows 8.1, and integrate it into the Windows 8 install Media, or will there be a way to download and install clean Windows 8.1 onto a blank hard drive?

Thanks,

--Brian
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

They should offer it via windows update if they are smart, only RT devices have to use the store.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
And it will go gold a month later, declared "ready".

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

So the question is, can someone get Windows 8.1 without using the Windows Store? For example, is there a way to install Windows 8.1 without installing Windows 8 first?

I'm fairly certain there will be options to upgrade from XP, Vista and 7, and even do a full install w/o any OS. However, I don't think they'll be free.

If it is "like a service pack" there has always been ways to download the service pack, and slipstream it into the install media of Windows, and then just start with 8.1.

I also am someone who likes to start with the current version, with any additional service packs or versions.

So, is there any information yet that would allow you to download Windows 8.1, and integrate it into the Windows 8 install Media, or will there be a way to download and install clean Windows 8.1 onto a blank hard drive?

This is supposed to be a full OS, so I don't think slipstreaming into 8 would work.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to BlitzenZeus

MVM

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

They should offer it via windows update if they are smart, only RT devices have to use the store.

Microsoft should sell Windows 8.1 to anyone who wants to buy it and in any way they want to make the purchase. Anything that facilitates sales is something you would think they would favor,....

Still thats not the way Apple does it which is why I quasi predicted that Microsoft might take a similar route.

Along those lines the next logical step (when copying Apple) would be for Microsoft to make all future versions of Windows only available via the Microsoft online store as a download. This would make Windows 8 a minimum requirement moving on from this point just like Apple OS X 10.6.8 (or something like that). Not a logical move at all given that Microsoft has no vested interest in forcing such an issue unless you're talking about Microsoft specific systems like the Surface Pro and Surface RT.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
If it is a NEW OS, not a service pack...then it is worthless junk to me.

What I want to know is Microsoft's SUPPORT POLICY for Windows 8 with and without this (or any future "service packs" beyond this one). How long can I use Win 8 and get monthly security patches? THAT will be a HUGE determining factor in whether or not I install 8.1.

Microsoft says there will be yearly new versions of Win 8. Will Microsoft's policy on support for security fixes be radically different from previous OSes where there was one or two service packs over the life of the OS but now there will be a service pack at least yearly and only those who install each service pack as issued will continue to get security patches?

I don't want to have to install any service pack during the life of the computer (5 years) but I'll install one, reluctantly, if it is a major one but this crap of every year or even more often and NO support if you don't "keep up" with a constant stream of service packs? If that is the way Microsoft is going to play it then I will downgrade to Windows 7 and be done with it. Windows 7 has support for enough years that I can downgrade and not ever have to install and hassle with a service pack during the life span of this new desktop computer.

I have zero interest in the social connectivity that Microsoft is mouthing off about now constantly and there is zero reason to be "always on" merging work and your real life 24/7 unless you have a addiction to the "herd".

Plus, how is this a SERVICE PACK if you are required to get it from Microsoft store? That means I would have to re-enable UAC registry key. I don't use Metro apps and don't plan to ever use any during the life of this computer as I have no intention of ever permanently enabling UAC. A REAL SERVICE PACK would not be issued from Microsoft store at all. It sounds like this is something just for the Metro social media addicts.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Microsoft is adopting an annual OS upgrade cycle but that doesn't mean each year's OS will be named Windows 8.x. Although Apple OS X has kept the same 10.x.x nomenclature well beyond their annual offerings and Microsoft may very well decide to copy that too.

For what its worth my thinking was that Microsoft would simply support everything under the Windows 8 umbrella (8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and so on) for the same period of time with respect to the release date of the first Windows 8 offering. So Windows 8.1 and 8.2 wouldn't extend the support life of Windows 8.0.

I'm further guessing the EULA for 8.1 will yield more info on Microsoft's plans unless they simply come right out and say it soon.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Your thinking makes sense to a certain degree but then what about situations like mine where I lost my OEM Win 8 Pro when I installed Media Center? I had no idea that would happen. So, I now have a weird version of Win 8 supported by Microsoft not by Dell (unless I want to uninstall Win 8 Media Center and then install Win 8 OEM again).

If you are right though, Microsoft will be issuing patches for each version of Win 8 for as long as Win 8 is supported? That seems like a lot more work and support than Microsoft would want to commit to.

I can't even install the current patches as I can get a download page for 32 bit Windows 8 patches only...no download pages load for Win 8 64 bit patches. Every month Microsoft has more and more messes when it comes to the security patches and I can only imagine the problems if Microsoft tries to support patches for umpteen different versions of Win 8.

Trying to imitate Apple is absurd and a total turn off. If I wanted Apple I would purchase Apple.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2

Picture #3
said by Mele20:

I can't even install the current patches as I can get a download page for 32 bit Windows 8 patches only...no download pages load for Win 8 64 bit patches.

I don't want to go to OT here, but I'm always looking to help people out.

So, this makes me wonder why the pages won't load.

Here is the page that lists all of the Microsoft patches that were released today.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ms13-may

Actually, if you use this, you can go here each month and get you to the current months list

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· bulletin

So, if you look at the list of May patches, one of them is MS13-039. It applies to "Windows". To find out specifically what versions of Windows, as well as needed service pack levels, you use this link

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ms13-039

By the way, if you change the last part (ms-yy-###) you can actually look at, and get the information for any patch. the 13 of course relates to the last 2 digits of the year (in this case, 2013). 039 tells you that it is the 39th patch that Microsoft has issued so far in the year.

If you click that link, and scroll a bit down, you see the section "Affected and Non-Affected Software", like I have shown in Picture #1.

If you then click the blue link "Windows 8 for 64-bit Systems
(2829254)", it should take you to the download page for that patch, which is

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=38926

See picture #2 for what that looks like.

Clicking the download button, should result in something like what I show in Picture #3.

You can then download and save the file, or just run it. I'm guessing you would probably download them all first (and maybe even archive them for later use).

So, what part of that process fails for you? Or, do you do it different?

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I have a screenshot of the problem in the Security forum thread on these May patches.
»Re: Microsoft security bulletin for may 14 2013

I tried again just now and on Fx 17 ESR , I finally got a half second flash of the full page and then it reverted to the almost blank page that I show in my screenshot. Refreshing the page just got me the same mostly blank page and not even a tiny flash of the full page. I tried IE and SM again and still was getting the mostly blank page at Microsoft download center. Then, just now, I tried Opera again and the page loaded fully! I went back to Fx 17 ESR and now the page fully loads on it also. I was able to get a download box and download the patch to disk to later install.

I think not only are Windows Update servers overloaded currently but that even Microsoft download center servers have been overloaded and that is why I could get the download center page for 32bit Windows 8 and not for 64bit Windows 8 (how many folks have 32 bit Windows 8). I assume Microsoft uses Akamai for the manual patch downloads (like they do for Windows Defender updates that are done manually as I do them) so could be the Akamai server has been overloaded and maybe just the one I get directed to.

EDIT: I just tried to get the IE 10 Cumulative download. Talk about overloaded servers! Look at the difference in download speed between last night's Windows defender update and this patch...185KB/sec? I have 20/1 connection.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Why would Microsoft want to ruin Windows 8 RT and Pro with this free update??? There's nothing wrong with Windows 8 RT and Pro at all. The Start Menu may be gone from the Desktop but Microsoft made the Start Menu better than ever. I don't miss the Start Menu from the Desktop at all. Also the section for you Apps is way cool looking and easy to use. Windows 8 RT and Pro is the best OS ever Microsoft could have ever come out with.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I can't tell if you're joking. That's the biggest mess of stuff I've ever seen and I'd hate to experience that from an efficiency point of view.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I agree, that's just crap stacked on crap. Seemed to be the product of a cluttered mind.

I prefer my desktop clean, no desktop shortcuts, but do use toolbars on the taskbar.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

Yeah, that's the biggest mess I've ever seen...
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Surely you are poking jest at Microsoft? That's the most convoluted, messy junk! Garish colors too.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

+1 to the 4 previous posters -- I also like my desktop nice and clean.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Same here. I only have ONE icon on my desktop (this was true in both Windows 7 and Windows 8) and that's the Recycle bin. Everything else is either on the start menu or start screen.

I don't have any toolbars, or icons "pinned" to the bottom bar.

I'm also one who hates a lot of stuff running in the task tray (thing on the far right by the clock). I have 7 icons there right now (Rainmeter, Bonic, Action Center, the USB Icon thing, McAfee, Network Icon, and Volume). Since 4 of those 7 come with Windows by default, adding 3 more is not that big of an issue.

--Brian
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Click for full size
I really mean it. I really like the Windows 8 Pro that is on my computer. I don't under you folks I meant what I said about Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Pro. Microsoft is going to be ruining such a good Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Pro by coming out with this here Windows 8.1 upgrade. I bought a whole mess of games off Steam. I don't care how junky and cluttered my Desktop get's.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
At least have mercy on those of us here and use right click View and uncheck "show desktop icons". My brain will thank you.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Click for full size
I had Windows 8 Pro change the view size of the Desktop Icons to small. That saved me some space on the Desktop. That was a great idea you had there. I'm not getting rid of all those Windows 8 Pro default Icons because I use them just as well as all the other Icons.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
desktop

quick launch
That looks much nicer to me. Plus, your giraffe is neat!

Instead of using the desktop icons, I added "Quick Launch" back into Windows 8 Pro and "Desktop" too on the taskbar and I click one of those to launch programs that would otherwise be launched from the desktop icons.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
No surprise here, they had to give away to avoid the embarrassment of nobody wanting to buy it.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Mele20

to Mele20
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Mele20 what about this Desktop Icon setup like what you have??? Is this more to your liking from you see???
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yes, I like that because I like a neat column and because I like to see my wallpaper/theme for my desktop and that is hard to do with lots of icons all over it. It looks like both those columns are Quick Launch? My taller column is "Desktop" and the only thing I don't like is that it sometimes takes awhile for it to load when I click on the arrows next to "Desktop" on the taskbar. I suppose it takes awhile sometimes because there are so many items in the Desktop column including every item for God Mode and, for Control Panel, a submenu opens with each category clickable from the menu so I guess all that makes it sometimes take a bit for the column to load. So, I put the programs I most often use in Quick Launch as that column loads very fast as it is much smaller content.

That's another interesting wallpaper/theme you have.