Tag?, What Tag? TAG You're it.

join:2002-03-10
Anna, TX
Reviews:
·Grayson County T..
·DSL EXTREME

Couple of Questions

Question 1.

Why is there such a big difference between the 20mb residential and business cable internet on the pricing? 30mb residential is like $65 to $85 and 50mb business is $349.99. They both go over the same plant.

Question 2.

Also, How long from when they start running the plant in the neighborhood does it take for the service to go live.

Question 3.

Another question. Why is there not any gamer packages? Packages that have higher throughput and no caps?

Question 4.

Why cant they just go fiber already?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
1. Because they can. Officially it's because you get better CS response and timing, no caps, and no blocked ports.

2. No dedicated time. Basically whenever they finish hooking it up. Last time a new cable run came past my house, it was dark a year before they started service on it.

3. For starters, gamers use incredibly little bandwidth (except when downloading the game to begin with) so there would be no reason to make another package level. 50 meg business class is likely to be the only way to uncap your cable and be fast still moving forward.

4. Because they would have to spend money to do so. Pair that with the fact that the vast majority of their footprint has 0 competition, SL doesn't need to use fiber. They are already head and shoulders above most dsl in most areas, satellite and most fixed wireless aren't even in the same class of access, and other cable companies don't usually mix footprints.
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
#4 some what, some fixed wireless's companies that are popping up here in north Texas do not have caps and is a solid 17mbps almost 80% of the time besides peak hours... then it reaches about 10 depending on how many houses are connected to that one tower in the vicinity but I agree with all your other statements

whocares256

Anna, TX
Reviews:
·Grayson County T..
·DSL EXTREME
Do you have any names or recommendations on WISP's? I have a directional 2 to 5GHZ antenna (armature radio) that can be re purposed for this.

All,

I found out that the cable plant should be live by July 1st. Talked to Intec and they said they are waiting on a power supply (for the node I guess). Also 30 Megabits is showing up on suddenlink's website for my area now. I also called the Business side and discussed the plans they have. In our area they only offer 6,8, and 12 Megabits because that is all they can guarantee.

I think they should have a cap on the overages fee. If the overages fees should stop when you hit the equivalent of the same cost on a business line.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Why wouldn't you just buy a business line if you intend to use THAT much data. Atleast here, equivalent business accounts would cost me an additional $230/month, roughly. That would be an additional 1.15 TB of data, on top of the 250 gigs already alotted...... Come to think of it, I'm not even sure how you would move that much data every month w/out a server on your line...

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
said by moldypickle:

Why wouldn't you just buy a business line if you intend to use THAT much data. Atleast here, equivalent business accounts would cost me an additional $230/month, roughly. That would be an additional 1.15 TB of data, on top of the 250 gigs already alotted...... Come to think of it, I'm not even sure how you would move that much data every month w/out a server on your line...

Agreed, if you use upwards of 1.15 TB then you def need to get a business account, on that you would avoid the overages (correct me if im wrong)

whocares256

Anna, TX
Reviews:
·Grayson County T..
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to whocares256
There are some months that I use over 250GB of data and I just do not want to be nickel and dimed to death.

I will see how much data I use and then make the appropriate decision. They do not offer the faster speeds on business though.

The reason I might use a lot of data is as follows:
Games:
Steam. All games 100+GB of data.
GuildWars 5GB
GuildWars 2 20GB
Simcity5
Windows Updates
Linux ISO downloads: I have downloaded entire FTP Shares/distributions. 100+GB.
Netflix 20+ hours week.

Just to name a few.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Again, business class is multitudes more than residential service. VS paying 10 bucks for an additional 50 gigs. You also don't download your steam library but once..... same with a linux iso. By all means, if you feel like paying 250-350/month to avoid a 10 or 20 dollar overage, go on ahead. Was just attempting to help

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to whocares256
said by whocares256:

There are some months that I use over 250GB of data and I just do not want to be nickel and dimed to death.

I will see how much data I use and then make the appropriate decision. They do not offer the faster speeds on business though.

The reason I might use a lot of data is as follows:
Games:
Steam. All games 100+GB of data.
GuildWars 5GB
GuildWars 2 20GB
Simcity5
Windows Updates
Linux ISO downloads: I have downloaded entire FTP Shares/distributions. 100+GB.
Netflix 20+ hours week.

Just to name a few.

turn netflix down to 720/480 and you will save a bunch on your data.. but if you have to have hd then leave it be, i turned my on to low stream and can watch a 100+ shows on a 250gb cap.., that being said only time i get close to it is when big updates in steam push other wise I dont worry about it

whocares256

Anna, TX
Reviews:
·Grayson County T..
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit
reply to moldypickle
I agree. I have 30 to 32 IP Address (not quite as many devices) on my network thought. I have 3 Netflix boxes and 3 windows computers and 3 Linux computers if you count the router computer. I'm not sure how much data I use as my router (pfsense does not display data used in a time period (wish it did). I do like paying one price and not having to worry about how much my bill will be (unlike my electric bill). The plan is to try the residential first and see how much it will be.

Another question. Do you think we've passed the point where ISP's are a dumb pipe? I think we have with the caps and stuff. If they have browser pop ups warning about data and stuff.

FYI: I work in IT. A static IP would be nice but they don't offer it on the residential side.

Edit: Clarification

whocares256

Anna, TX
reply to Cobra11M
Also your point about turning Netflix down is exactly why we don't need caps. The TV providers are trying to kill Netflix. Its anti competitive.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to whocares256
You work in IT and just asked about the ISP that you buy your tv and phone from also,,,, is a dumb pipe. I can no longer carry on this conversation. Go 'head and buy business class to avoid a $10 fee. Makes JUST as much sense.

whocares256

Anna, TX
I'm asking do you think we've passed the point where the majority of ISP are dumb pipes. I agree with you on the cost of residential vs. business. I'm going residential.

whocares256

Anna, TX
Reviews:
·Grayson County T..
·DSL EXTREME
reply to whocares256
Issue is resolves. I have gone with Suddenlink Residental for $45 for the 30/2 and am waiting on my contract for DSLExtreme to expire. I am happy to report the usual slow dowo of cable internet in the evening and ping times going up in the evenings. I will be able to do more testing when I have gotten rid of my 2nd internet connection. I am currently using a load balancing stand alone router (not PfSense).

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Did you bundle to get that pricing?

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28
reply to whocares256
said by whocares256:

Question 4.

Why cant they just go fiber already?

We do offer fiber to Businesses. A large portion of my job responsibilities consist of supporting those customers, nationwide.

whocares256

Anna, TX
reply to moldypickle
No. Stand alone Internet. $49.xx after fees and taxes.

whocares256

Anna, TX
reply to SDL L3Tech
What is the price for a local loop and connectivity? Im in a residental neighborhood and they just ran the cable plant underground in April. They are doing road construction along the highway in front of my neighborhood.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
You'd likely have to call in and set up a meet with a sales contact to get a price since they'd have to run the fiber. It'll be pricey.

Not fiber, but a few years back I had called into Time Warner as they stoped 4 miles short of the house. The price I was quoted after the engineers and sales people put together a package for a main line run was $23,000 , can't remember the exact number.

That's a pretty good price for standalone. Best I can do here is $60 before taxes and extras (30/2)
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

whocares256

Anna, TX
This is a 1 Year Promo price. I think regular price is $60+tax.

MOCLEC

join:2013-09-16
United State
reply to whocares256
You definitely WOULD NOT want to use a WISP if you're asking for that much data and reliability/ping time is important to you.

Also, SuddenLink doesn't need to offer FTTH when they have DOCSIS 3.0 pushing 100Mbps to residential accounts (here anyway).

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
That is possibly the worst reason to not offer FTTH that I have EVER heard. In what way does a 100down/5up service even begin to compete with a fiber line?

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits
reply to whocares256
Right. All fiber would provide a limitless amount of bandwidth along with being much more reliable. Not only that, they could also save a lot of money in energy savings and by having less hardware to deal with. It really wouldn't take much to convert to all fiber with the hybrid fiber coaxial technology that they've had in place for some time already... The fiber is already in place connecting the nodes, so it's not like they have to string fiber everywhere at once either. It's just a matter of extending it further into the last mile and converting the headend to all optical equipment to support a full FTTH and FTTB effort.

IMO, I would like to see the company take this direction instead of sticking with the same old Docsis game and changing around a lot of hardware and whatever else to upgrade to that deal. They would definitely profit more from doing so. Fiber is definitely the future anyway and with other startups, cities and municipalities, along with Google doing their thing all over the country with providing next generation broadband type services, it would definitely make sense from a business perspective to go ahead and finish out the fiber. A change such as this would certainly boost them in the next 6-8 years if they started soon and stayed with it, beating the others to it.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I wouldn't quite say limitless bandwidth, lol.

You're right that if they started now they could get it done in 6-8 years and be ahead of the game, but sadly there is literally no business wise motivation for them to do this. Short of losing a city here and there to a muni build, there's just no competition beyond DSL (and we all know how worried they are about that, LOL).

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
haha heck ya, DSL is dying a slow death, easpecially when AT&T and Verizon are killing it. Docsis 3.1 is thankfully something.. sure its not fiber speeds but a increase in upload will be extremely good.. (you know how long it takes to upload 12gb of video, highschool stuff) forever on 1.5 lol.

MOCLEC

United State
reply to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

That is possibly the worst reason to not offer FTTH that I have EVER heard. In what way does a 100down/5up service even begin to compete with a fiber line?

How does it compete? That's a silly question... Suddenlink doesn't have to run fiber to every house for one.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Do you have ties to the cable industry?

MOCLEC

United State
said by moldypickle:

Do you have ties to the cable industry?

I have ties to all types of communications companies. The majority of home users do not need fiber...especially with VDSL/DOCSIS 3.0 offerings available to them.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
You're right, that's a good reason that fiber shouldn't be offered.

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to MOCLEC
Docsis 3.0 is a joke.., sure brought cable to what 100mbps in some markets.. but generally 30 or less.., and don't get me started on the upload.., everything is moving to the cloud right? upload is gonna play a bigger role in the next 5 years then anything else.. and what tech is capable of doing upload now... fiber, sure docsis 3.1 can, but by the time it rolls out to everyone fiber will be already cheaper than copper..