Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

[Help] Version 7 Doesn't Install Properly

I had been running the v6 SMP client for well over a year without any difficulties and never went to v7 until now. I am having trouble installing version 7. There is no user interface. The client never asks for a team number, name, etc. There are three processes; FAHClient.exe, FahCore_a4.exe, and FahCoreWrapper.exe in the process list. The FahCore_a4 runs at 50%. There is a desktop icon that doesn't start up anything. So, what gives with this client? I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times all with the same results. I have tried the express install as well as the custom install. Any suggestions. Thanks.
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

When I installed version 7 on my new machine last weekend, it left a desktop icon which didn't seem to do anything. Then I found the taskbar icon among the 'hidden icons'. From there, when I right-clicked on it and went to 'advanced control' I was able to configure everything. Your mileage may vary ....
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Scilicet

See if you can find FAHControl anywhere on your system.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

Click for full size
Here it is: C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHControl.exe and as you can see, no name and no team number.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing

have you clicked on configure? you can enter the info there

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

Click for full size
Alright now! So why is it only running 3 of 6 core processor?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

Configure > Advanced > Percent CPU Usage

Just guessing.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
reply to Scilicet

Move the "Folding Power" slider from Light to Full.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to sortofageek

Click for full size
It was found set at 100%

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to howieh

said by howieh:

Yes, that did it howieh See Profile! Thanks! I was just about to give up on this thing as I don't have the time to sit around playing with it.
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

With the slider set to "Full" you should also see your GT450 folding. Any setting below Full will pause folding your GPU, during other use.

NVidia GPUs also like to have a spare core as in (# of cores minus 1) configured, but it's not absolutely necessary -- just more efficient.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
Reviews:
·Vonage

2 recommendations

Yes, the GPU is running and running well. I couldn't run the GPU with the version 6 client as it made normal video almost unusable. So, I'll leave it as is unless I run into any problems. Thanks for the help everyone.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to howieh

said by howieh:

I'm not having a problem folding at full power, but I'm not seeing a "Folding Power" slider. Maybe because I'm still running an older version of the client or maybe because I'm not looking carefully or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Or because I don't have a GPU?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

The newest version, 7.3.6, is the only one I'm familiar with (unless we go waaaay back). But it seems that the web access configuration with sliding bar began in version 7.

From the benchmarks I've seen v7 seems very efficient and runs the newer, faster cores: Core 4 (Gromacs) for CPU and Core 17 (OpenCL) for GPU. There is also Advanced and Expert configuration options for v7, using flags similar to older client versions.
I'm sure others here have figured out some quick start suggestions. I'm still trying to tweak the boxen and client options to give the best results.
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ
reply to sortofageek

I'm in the same boat as mr sean See Profile. I went right from the 6.34 console to 7.3.6.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to sortofageek

I'm pretty sure it started in the current version. I didn't see it in 7.2.9.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

The version explains it then. On this PC, I'm still using V. 7.1.52. Until recently I was using the MBP, which is on a bed tray table in my bedroom, which was where I had been spending most of my time until very recently.
--

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Scilicet

Not to derail the thread, but as an aside, is anyone seeing a performance increase with this version over the initial 7.1.52 client? I've been noticing a slight decrease in my performance and am curious if it's a product of newer wu's being tailored more for the current version.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

From what I have read on the Folding@Home forum and various other team fora you may realize better performance with the newer client. This is especially true for GPU folding but newer CPU cores are optimized as well.

Once again, I have no first hand comparison since I've only used 7.3.6 after my extended vacations from folding.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to suprleg

That's somewhat complicated, especially if you are getting different WUs.

Of course it is more impossible for me since I seldom look at production rate, particularly for me. I just try to make sure they are folding.
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ
reply to suprleg

said by suprleg:

I've been noticing a slight decrease in my performance and am curious if it's a product of newer wu's being tailored more for the current version.

I'm curious, are you folding on cpu, gpu or both?
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
Aurora, CO
reply to mr sean

Oh well! I had to remove the GPU client as video for movies just won't work. It's choppy, start and go.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 recommendation

said by Scilicet:

Oh well! I had to remove the GPU client as video for movies just won't work. It's choppy, start and go.

I'm pretty sure that if you set the 'folding power' at medium or below, the GPU client bows out unless your system is idle ...
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

^^
This.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to howieh

said by howieh:

said by suprleg:

I've been noticing a slight decrease in my performance and am curious if it's a product of newer wu's being tailored more for the current version.

I'm curious, are you folding on cpu, gpu or both?

I'm using cpu only...

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ

On the folding status view, what value do you see next to cpu?