join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to gsdoes

MVM

to gsdoes

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast & Getting Your Own Cable Modem...

Comcast is not in the business of updating firmware for modems it did not provide, nor should it be. Search around here- IIRC, that is one of the modems that others have reported having problems with. I think the "fix" was a slightly different model number. Not sure...
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

said by owlyn:

Comcast is not in the business of updating firmware for modems it did not provide, nor should it be.

Huh?! Modems of a given model get the same firmware updates regardless if it's Comcast supplied or customer owned.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Comcast is not in the business of updating firmware for modems it did not provide,

If it is a gateway device they are responsible to update both the modem and the router components..

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Comcast is not in the business of updating firmware for modems it did not provide, nor should it be.

That's odd.

Comcast has been updating my modems (purchased on amazon.com) for a few years. Before I bought the modems, I did make sure the model was on Comcast's supported list.....
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to owlyn

to owlyn
uh... If Comcast supports the modem (on their approved list) they also do the firmware upgrades for them if one is needed or available that doesn't hurt their network... not just their provided modems... if they support it, they update it

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Comcast provides firmware updates, but it is not a direct part of their business (as it would be for modem manufacturers). They may provide an update for your particular modem, but you really can't be PO'ed if they don't. Also, in my opinion, they should not be creating and pushing these updates, but instead should work with the modem manufacturers and have them release the updates. What happens if a Comcast-pushed firmware updates bricks the modem you own, not rent? I can only imagine the finger pointing when you call Comcast to complain. Anyway- this is just my view of it.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
How does your view respond to this post?

»Re: SB6141 Firmware Update?

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

Well, being that it is the DOCSIS standard, I guess that's just the way it is. Does the spec say anything about the ISP being responsible if the modem gets bricked? I can imagine calling Comcast with, "Your latest firmware broke my modem." Considering even the simplest problems can take multiple calls and escalations to resolve, I'd hate to be the complaining party on that call. But, hey, I lease my modem (eMTA), so my path is clear. And I haven't heard of anything like that happening yet, but give them enough time and enough modem models...
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

"Whether a cable modem, gateway/router, voice capable modem or other device is owned by you or us, we have the unrestricted right, but not the obligation, to upgrade or change the firmware in these devices remotely or on the Premises at any time that we determine it necessary or desirable in order to provide Service(s) to you in accordance with our specifications and requirements."

»www.comcast.com/Corporat ··· ent.html