how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DonnaRO

join:2010-03-10
Madison, WI
reply to DonnaRO

Re: Smoke/heat alarm. Can't get to battery compartment.

Well I am going to have to do something because one of the alarms just keeps beeping and fresh battery does not help. When I change battery it is silent for about 20 minutes, then starts beeping again. I checked the battery for power & proper placement and blew air into alarm. Still beeping. When I press any test buton on any alarm they go off all over the house. But replacement of all alarms not going to be a breeze cuz they are all interconnected and there are nine of them and all are various brands, Kidde, BRR, FireX and First Alert. Sounds like a job for Superman to me. Any way I can get this one alarm to stop beeping?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

Ok - some brands/models have an end of life timer built in... When the detector reaches the end of its design life, it starts chirping. That could be what you're hearing.

As for replacing them - per NFPA 72, you're not allowed to interconnect brands that aren't certified to be interneconnected - there's no guarantee that they'll work correctly.

Replace them all with the same brand... Sooner rather then later. Ideally right away.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to DonnaRO

said by DonnaRO:

Any way I can get this one alarm to stop beeping?

Is this the FireX ADH that is beeping or one of the other ones (the mix of brands does not sound good) ?

The user manual for the FireX ADH gives only one reason for beeping in the troubleshooting section: low battery.

The manual also states in the battery replacement section of the manual to only use:
Eveready 522 (Alkaline)
Eveready 1222 (Super Heavy Duty)
Duracell MN 1604 (Alkaline)
My guess is that any decent Alkaline battery will work.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to DonnaRO

said by DonnaRO:

Well I am going to have to do something because one of the alarms just keeps beeping and fresh battery does not help. When I change battery it is silent for about 20 minutes, then starts beeping again. I checked the battery for power & proper placement and blew air into alarm. Still beeping. When I press any test buton on any alarm they go off all over the house. But replacement of all alarms not going to be a breeze cuz they are all interconnected and there are nine of them and all are various brands, Kidde, BRR, FireX and First Alert. Sounds like a job for Superman to me. Any way I can get this one alarm to stop beeping?

This used to happen to me, till I realized I had to follow this procedure "To reset an AC unit with a battery backup:
Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker. Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power. Remove the battery. Press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds. The unit may chirp or alarm for a few seconds before going silent. Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterwards."

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to DonnaRO

said by DonnaRO:

I checked the battery for power & proper placement and blew air into alarm. Still beeping.

Un-plug it and take it down and wait a while, does it or anything else beep? If not you have solved the problem, the detector you took down is pooched and needs to be replaced.