Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

2 edits

Jack_in_VA to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF

Re: Smoke/heat alarm. Can't get to battery compartment.

said by UHF:

said by Jack_in_VA:

By the time it gets hot enough to activate a heat detector only it's way too late. Kiss your garage and most likely house goodbye.

Really? Then why does building code require them in garages? And the 1 hour fire rated ceiling between the garage and the living space? A garage fire will reach 130 degrees at the ceiling pretty damn fast. Would I like a smoke detector as well? Yes, but they do no good if they false so often that the alarms are ignored, and are specifically disallowed by code because they don't trigger reliably in many fires anyway due to environmental conditions found in most garages.

What about people that do not use their garage for vehicles or gasoline powered lawn equipment? Instead some use it for a man cave, extra bedroom, playroom, storage etc and have it conditioned by the central HVAC system. Then the space is not a garage but a living area and is essentially unprotected with a heat detector. I know quite a few that fit that description. Just because it has a garage door(s) doesn't make it a garage.

A false sense of security can prove lethal. Would you want your child in an room/area like that with just a heat detector for protection?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan

Premium Member

Not to point out the obvious, but if it's no longer a garage, the codes covering garages no longer apply.

If it's repurposed space; and is modified (such as tying in the buildings HVAC) - then appropriate codes for the new designation should be applied...

EDIT - you can't protect people from stupid... Building codes lay out the requirements - a garage is defined as one thing, and should be monitored and protected in a certain manner. Living space is treated in a different manner - if someone takes it upon themselves to repurpose a space, the onus is on them to follow the appropriate code, or to seek clarification from the AHJ if they aren't able to sort it out on their own...

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
When did heat detectors in garages become a code requirement ?
It wasn't all that long that bedrooms didn't need smoke detectors and one smoke detector in the hallway outside of the bedrooms was considered sufficient.
Now if this home were rebuild (or renovated beyond a certain degree) it would not only need a lot more fire/heat/smoke detectors it would also be mandatory to have active fire suppression (sprinkler systems) installed.

I think I need to do some upgrades in my home too. All my detectors are still standalone battery operated ones (no hardwire or interconnects).

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Not to point out the obvious, but if it's no longer a garage, the codes covering garages no longer apply.

If it's repurposed space; and is modified (such as tying in the buildings HVAC) - then appropriate codes for the new designation should be applied...

Why would it carry a new designation just because it's conditioned? Some people want their vehicles to be garaged in a conditioned space.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Many regions specifically forbid tying garages into the building ventilation system, due to CO/fume/vapour concerns. Therefore, to legally connect it to the HVAC, it can no longer be a garage; to the point that some jurisdictions even require the garage door to be removed, or fixed in place...

No doubt there are places without that requirement... But I'm not interested in an argument for the sake or arguing... So I'm just going to drop it.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Why would it carry a new designation just because it's conditioned?

It's actually a change of occupancy.

As for air conditioning a garage, it must have it's own air handler and venting separate from the home to preclude the possible mixing of CO from within the garage, into the home.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by 54067323:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Why would it carry a new designation just because it's conditioned?

It's actually a change of occupancy.

As for air conditioning a garage, it must have it's own air handler and venting separate from the home to preclude the possible mixing of CO from within the garage, into the home.

I know a lot of garages with supply registers that are not on a separate system. In fact I don't know of any that has it's own system.

We need to get back on the OP's original topic which was not heat detectors in garages
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

54067323 (banned) to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

When did heat detectors in garages become a code requirement ?

On a national level at least with residential I don't think they are required, at least not under NFPA 72 C39.

As far as I know they are (and I am paraphrasing) supplemental devices, that is to say while they may not be required by the code their use however is allowed by the code.

Of course they must be properly listed for the application.

Some common uses in a residence might be the garage or a laundry room or even a kitchen if placed carefully.

54067323 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I know a lot of garages with supply registers that are not on a separate system.

I have seen many as well, but that doesn't make it safe.